Real-time location info for Philips Hue

Hi all,
I recently got into using the Philips Hue API. What I’d really like to do is change the lights in my room based on the zone I’m in. For example - if I’m in Maldraxxus, I’ll set the lights to a light green. If I’m in Ardenweald, a mid-purple. If I’m in Stormwind, yellow. If it’s raining, maybe a 20% white. If the player is dead, maybe a light blue.
There’s a real opportunity here for Blizzard to be more interactive with today’s technology, but their add-on API doesn’t really allow for that. I’ve been trying to get more live data with add-ons but it just doesn’t work. Perhaps Blizzard can open something up (with auth keys, of course) where they can give the following info:

Player zone name (possibly sub-zone name for areas with different tints)
Player heath status (alive/dead)
Player mount status (on/off)
Zone weather

That’s it so far as I can tell.

If anyone knows of a legal, live-status way to do this, please post here.

If not, I hope Blizzard implements this.

Unlikely because any exposure could potentially be used for malicious reasons.

Ok, so then just release RGB values.

EDIT: Also, I’m curious how my own location would be used “maliciously”.

EDIT2: /combatlog will log your location, so you’re wrong about using it for “malicious reasons”

There is a similar project which uses pixel scanning to control smart lights
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/jbrt11/i_hooked_up_my_characters_hp_bar_to_a_smart_light/

1 Like

Interesting.

A few hours ago, I wrote a proof-of-concept that pulls your location from Titan Panel’s location plugin, uses OCR to determine where you are, and then changes the lights in my room based on the location. It works, but there are a lot of corner cases to deal with.

Changing my room’s colors based on my location is really, really cool. The immersion level is as good as 5.1 audio was when it first came out.

I would prefer to have something other than pixel scanning, but…eh.