Reading quest text

When I logged on to the stress test my girlfriend was asking me about the game. She asked me an interesting question: “Why are you killing boars?” And I had no answer. I opened the quest text and read it. It turns out they are training me to be a fit warrior of the horde. They told me that I wasn’t strong enough to go to the barrens and fight kodos, so I needed to stay here for now.

I think this time around I’ll read most if not all the quests to feel more immersed into the game. Who knows, my girlfriend likes a good story, maybe that can be the hook to get her to play a game like WoW.

Who else will read the quests? What small things in wow do you love?

5 Likes

I have always read the quests - at least the first time around - or if I haven’t done that quest for a while.

I will be reading them again in Classic even if just for nostalgia’s sake.

4 Likes

I always read the quest text if it’s my first time doing the quest. I like to know why I am being sent to collect 20 bear butts.

Way back then there was a questline which really captured my interest. I thought it was a basic kill everything quest, but the text got my attention. I don’t remember which one it was, or where, but I remember getting invested into the story. I didn’t have a mount yet since I bought every spell from trainers instead of just the ones I needed, so I was poor and had to run everywhere on foot making that questline take that much longer. I outleveled it partway through and wasn’t getting much experience, but I wanted to continue it just to see how it ended. There was a big buildup with every quest. Just as it felt like I was getting close to a conclusion, the questline ended… There was no continuation, so I never got a satisfying ending…

If I had never read that quest text, I would have never felt that frustrating disappointment. :disappointed:

2 Likes

I think reading the quest text adds an extra layer (pun intended) of immersion to WoW. It gives depth to the world around you, and gives otherwise bland characters more dimensions. It’s really just the small details, even if they’re not incredibly important. That said, most people will be forced to at least skim quest text in Classic to actually complete quest.

1 Like

There’s a good amount of running around, so it’s the perfect time to read the quest text.

2 Likes

I just accept quest, I don’t care about the story or the lore

1 Like

I love the quest text for one simple reason above all else: it’s much more compelling gameplay to be given a hint about what to do or a direction to go in and having to figure out the rest for yourself. It adds an extra layer of depth to quests which gets completely lost when you just have a big arrow or glowing circle on a map.

4 Likes

tbh I’ve already read quest text. In fact, quests are half of the reason why I want to play in the first place. I want to experience the old world again. I did not like it when cataclysm’s features were announced. Granted, turned out cataclysm had some pretty interesting and fun quests, but still wasn’t happy about it.

1 Like

I do. Sometimes I’ve done a quest so many times that I know them by heart and skim, but even then stopping to read helps a lot with immersion. A lot of the quests in vanilla are really rich in lore and flavour and it’s worth the effort. You’re not going to have the story fed to you the way we had onward from wrath.

1 Like

People who don’t read the quest are missing out on a big portion of the game.

I for one will be reading every line, helps you burn through the quests fast as well given that you actually read the info they gave you.

1 Like

I always read the quest text too.
Sorry to necro, but I think I have a nice addition:

In classic it is particularly nice with the “instant quest text” set to off. The NPCs will act out their speech at the correct times as the text is being written.

I do not see a pun here, and I love puns. :frowning: Please someone tell me what I missed.

You’ve had two years to figure it out.

Couchy

Um actually I only found this thread just now. So no, I haven’t.

Because layers were a thing back then