Reading old descriptions of races

They are arguing semantics when the real question to it is: Does it really matter?

1 Like

Maybe if you role play. Hell I have a monk I rp as a “brawler”. He doesn’t do any of the fancy monk stuff he just punches thing. I know several rpers who are downright offended icily if you call them paladins

Which wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense when every flavor of Paladin joined the Paladin Order Hall. If you walk with Paladins, fight like Paladins, and look like Paladins, you’re gonna get called a Paladin.

Yeah, but if you are rping a Sunwalker than in character that Sunwalker might not want to admit he’s just the same as a human paladin, due to bias and not metagaming. We do have the benefit of looking at the issue from the outside, but in rp our characters don’t have that luxury. I know that in the end Sylvannas isn’t going to stay Warchief, but my character doesn’t know that

2 Likes

Oh I love how alliance players come to the forums to say stuff like.
“Sylvanas is dividing the horde! we should stop her!”

If you see your enemy is doing a mistake, you don’t interfere, you benefit from their mistake. It’s only common sense.

And the fact that you are interfering/advising enemy players shows that you are losing the grip over the war. :slight_smile:

Sylvanas is playing all her cards right. she is weeding out the betrayers and the weak.

1 Like

The reason why Sunwalkers are referred as Paladins in the game (i.e. “Visit Sunwalker Holycow, the Paladin Trainer. He’ll teach you.”) is due to one simple reason.

Human beings play this game. Player makes a Tauren Paladin and he/she expects to find Paladin trainers, not Sunwalker Trainers. In essence, Blizzard dumbed it down, so to speak. Mainly because so many players don’t give a bleep about lore.

They want to make a Tauren Paladin called Milkmebaby and play. So, while you may see NPCs with the Sunwalker title or called as such at times (or Blood Knights and Prelates), for game play reasons they use paladins throughout certain NPC text speeches.

Oh, and Shaw may call a Sunwalker a paladin, but he’s a Human. That’s how he thinks. He sees some armored warrior using the Light and he thinks ‘Paladin’ because that’s his reference point.

6 Likes

There were things in many cultures in earlier history that would occur on a regular basis that were considered commonplace, that by today’s standards, in most societies, would be inconceivable. And genocide existed long before the period you referred to, and it still exists today.

I don’t really get the history lesson on something everyone knew. I was mainly responding to your comment about how the Horde races don’t believe they’re brutish; That is how they’re perceived. It’s all the more highlighted when they are put into contrast with Warcraft’s more civilized races.

1 Like

Again, this doesn’t hold up when the quest in question has it calling the trainer a paladin in the description, not objective section. And it uses the term Sunwalker in that same quest. The location of the term doesn’t serve the purpose claimed. There’s nothing to simplify when they chose to write it as them being paladins.

Is it really such a high bar to ask for an organization to define itself and its members? If Aponi called herself a paladin ever, there wouldn’t be a debate (which apparently has been going on for years so blame Blizzard for never defining it clearly and once and for all). And I’m sorry if I find Order Hall stuff unconvincing when the people who designed the order halls had zero regard for Tauren culture. Their idea of class fantasy for paladins was putting everyone under the human banner and homogenizing those who don’t fit.

4 Likes

Gameplay reasons aside, I’m unconvinced how someone would take offense to being called a Paladin when you hang out with them, fight with them, use the same kind of power as them, and then in Legion you ran around in their tabard. One would think you’d expect to be called a Paladin by any average citizen when you do that.

1 Like

Anyone who has played a Forsaken from the beginning thinking they would eventually come around is a damn fool. I always knew that something sinister would happen in the story with them, I just didn’t think it would be written so stupidly.

1 Like

That was Earl Boen same guy who played Dr. Peter Silberman in the 1st and 2nd Terminator movies.

The children of Yemen are being starved to death by the United States :slightly_smiling_face:

What was the point of speaking “Afro-aurasian” history? lol.

That is how they are perceived, but by who? That was my point. Idk if the Horde races are really gonna describe themselves like that. And what are Warcrafts more civilized races? Dwarves and Humans? They killed all of the Trolls off in order to establish their “civilized” races, which consist of absolute monarchies.

4 Likes

MiSuNdErStOoD nOt ViLlAiNs ThO

No you guys dont understand, the forsaken have always been the goodest of bois and its that dammed old crone golden that (somehow) made sylvanas and the forsaken go full mussolini in BtS and onwards!!! :rofl:

1 Like

When said organization has almost no lore and very few appearances and you arbitrarily reject evidence from said appearances, as well as developers, other characters in the story, and objective descriptive dialog text calling them Paladins, yes. Turns out the bar may as well be infinitely high when you just move it however you want, ignore what doesn’t fit your narrative, and set ridiculous conditions to focus the conversation into a particular context (That it matters what the Sunwalkers call themselves in regards to whether or not WE know they’re Paladins) which is irrelevant to the question.

But as I said, the Draenei and Blood Elves still knock down your position that nobody but the Silver Hand are Paladins from the outset.

1 Like

Well yes, Forsaken were always intended to be evil despite what people who were surprised about them being so in Cata and BfA might think.

1 Like

He’s passed on so he cannot do them anymore IIRC.

Earl Boen is still alive and well and active as a voice actor. He’s 74.

2 Likes

Happy to be corrected.

2 Likes