Reading old descriptions of races

Yes it does. The title of “Paladin” is a religious one granted by the Church of the Light. A priest and a rabbi worship the same god, but a priest and a rabbi remain distinct from each other because they are from different religions.

7 Likes

awkward silence

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t. The Paladin class description doesn’t say that they’re from the Church of the Holy Light, which the Blood Elves, Draenei, and Dark Irons also aren’t part of, not to mention both the Zandalari and Tauren are referred to as Paladins and the Sunwalkers were even part of the Paladin order hall in Legion.

Look 2004 was a weird time. I certainly had an emo phase and now am a mostly well adjusted adult with perhaps just a few too many black and purple collared shirts.

Likewise the Forsaken have matured into a nation with a culture, architecture and language all their own. Still can’t seem to get over that one pretty goth chick who was nice to them though. Maybe post BFA will change that.

7 Likes

People will respect you as soon as you fix your posture. It did wonders for the Orcs.

“The Knights of the Silver Hand (full name the Order of the Knights of the Silver Hand, often referred to as the Order of the Silver Hand, the Paladins of the Silver Hand, the Silver Hand, or the Paladin Order ) was the order of paladins created after the First War by Uther the Lightbringer and Archbishop Alonsus Faol. The Silver Hand helped lead the Alliance of Lordaeron to victory in the Second War.”

Being a Paladin means belonging to the Paladin Order, which included elves until they left the Alliance. I think Blood Knights rejoined under Tirion, but I’m not sure. If they didn’t, they aren’t technically Paladins anymore either.

The names of classes exist for the benefit of the players to keep things simple and easy to digest. In universe, things are not so rigid. Tidesages have similarities to both shamans and mages but are distinct from both. Thornspeakers are distinct from druids. Sunwalkers and Prelates are distinct from Paladins.

3 Likes

The Knights of the Silver Hand being Paladins doesn’t mean that Paladins are Knights of the Silver Hand. Knights of the Silver Hand are a subset of the set of Paladin.

Your conception of what makes a Paladin is false simply because there are many groups not belonging to the Church or Silver Hand which are still referred to as Paladins in the lore. Not only are you making a semantic argument, it’s also one which is completely wrong.

There are Paladins of different faiths just like there are Priests of different faiths. But nobody tried to argue that Troll, priests practice the same religious traditions as Humans or that humans practice the same traditions as Night Elves. The game only allows us so much customization when it comes to unique dialogue/spells/visuals/zones to reflect these differences.

1 Like

The Blood Knight didn’t rejoin. The partied up the Legion version of the Silver Hand until that was dissolved.

2 Likes

The game simply can’t provide players the same level of variety that exists in the lore. I can’t make a witch doctor or a shadow hunter, spirit walkers are unplayable, and witches are now a thing. Blizzard dumbs it down and approximates, and uses terms that try to be inclusive, but not always. A mage could be a lot of things.

In the case of Paladins, however, they were not inclusive. They named the class after the Hero unit in WC3, back when the only two races that could be Paladins were Humans and Dwarves. They opened up access to paladin to more races only mechanically (much to the dismay of many MHP players who wanted the class to be exclusive to the members of the order). The name of the class was already set in stone, so each time they add a new race that can play the class, they are sure to give them their own name to signify that, in lore, they are distinct from the Paladin Order. They are their own thing.

Until recently, no other class was like this (they’ve now done it to druids and shamans to make them more accessible). Rogues of different races didn’t have their own names. Warriors and hunters didn’t. Mages didn’t even though there are a variety of mage orders in the game. It was solely Paladins because the word that represents the class is restricted to members of the Order, and they decided they no longer wanted factions to have exclusive classes anymore.

tl:dr - We call a Tauren Paladin a Sunwalker because that’s the order they belong to. We call a Human Paladin a Paladin because there is no other word. The word is itself is tied to the Order of the Silver Hand. The only reason any other race aside from Humans and Dwarves use it now is because Blizzard didn’t have the forsight to pick a word that wasn’t tied to the Order, like Templar or something.

9 Likes

They were from the original WoW website that is no longer supported as it has been redone several times. You can view some versions through the way back machine.

Yes, they were. Or rather, that became the case over time as more races were added as Paladins. The Knights of the Silver Hand in WCIII were the only Paladins in existence - Now, that is no longer true, and many races have their own Paladin orders.

There are multiple race-specific organizations for all of those classes. Are you also going to insist Blood Elven or Draenei Hunters aren’t Hunters because they’re Rangers or Rangari? That Magisters aren’t Mages? That Forsaken Warriors are only Deathguard?

Seriously, do you know what a set is? Imagine a circle representing Paladins. Then, imagine a bunch of other circles representing Blood Knights, Knights of the Silver Hand, Sunwalkers, Vindicators, and Prelates. Then, put all of those smaller circles, inside the bigger Paladin circle. That’s how it works, all of those groups are subsets of Paladins, and most of them have explicitly been called Paladins outright in the past.

1 Like

Outside of Order Hall campaign stuff, which is widely panned for being completely disrespectful of Horde lore (especially the paladin one), I have never once seen the Sunwalkers or Prelates refer to themselves as paladins. They just don’t. That’s because they aren’t.

Players are welcome to headcanon their own character lore, but player Blood Elf mages aren’t called magisters, Draenei hunters are called Rangari, troll priests aren’t called witch doctors, etc. The game doesn’t state they are members of specific orders. It’s basic.

The pink class, however, makes the player know they belong to a specific order and only uses the word associated to that order to describe them aside from neutral content where it defaults to Paladin.

3 Likes

Don’t just ignore lore because you think it’s bad. Also, the Prelates are called “holy Crusaders” in their mount description, and Shaw calls Ra’wani Kanae a Troll Paladin. Also also,

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Consecrated_Note_(quest)

Just a moment ago a messenger was looking for you, . I believe she was sent by the paladin trainer, Sunwalker Helaku. If this note is from the Sunwalker, I recommend going to see him immediately.

You’re extremely wrong. If I was to start listing all the instances where non-Humans are referred to as Paladins, we’d be here all day.

Somone get the text for the night elf description that should be funny to see the diffrences.

First, I said “refer to themselves” not “called by Shaw.”

Second, that quest calls the class trainer “Paladin Trainer” because that’s the designation for that type of NPC. It’s for player convenience and clarity. It has no impact on the lore.

I’m specifically talking about members of an order referring to themselves as paladins. Not neutral content and not by people outside the order. If you have so many examples, why don’t you just show me one?

1 Like

It is the description text, which is the part given by the actual NPC. It should be taken as lore. If it was merely for player convenience, it would be limited to the objective section, as is typically the case. Much like a quest (such as Gold Dust Exchange) has the NPC ask you for “a load of it” and the objective section specifies ten gold dust. Or the quest Stocking Jetsteam says “I’ll need some fur for bedding, and boar meat for food. You can get meat from boars and fur from the bears… you can find them both in the snow fields south of the Grizzled Den.” The objective outlines four chunks of four meat and two thick bear furs. The description is the lore part, the objective section is the convenience and clarity part.

1 Like

So you want them to waste time going in changing every mention of paladin to a race specific title when they cant even get new content out in less than a year.

Just like with Middle-earth, this is the reality: while they may act civilized in some ways, they are pretty primitive (many cultures throughout our early human history in Afro-Aurasia did the most heinous things imaginable to others).

In Middle-earth, the orcs were cannibals and they would also hunt, kill and eat humans, elves, hobbits or any other creatures. In WoW, trolls are cannibals; so I would only imagine they have probably killed and eaten other races. They’re pretty scummy when you really dissect it.

Who said this?