Reading old descriptions of races

With the upcoming release of classic, I’ve been looking up guides for stuff. A notable one, given the current expansion, is how Blizzard describes the Forsaken.

Having broken free from the tyrannical rule of the Lich King, a renegade group of undead seek to retain their own free will while destroying all those who oppose them. Known as the Forsaken, this group is dedicated to serving their leader, the banshee queen Sylvanas Windrunner. These dark warriors have established a secret stronghold beneath the ruins of Lordaeron’s former capital city. Situated deep beneath the cursed Tirisfal Glades, the labyrinthine Undercity is a sprawling bastion of evil. Within its shadowy confines, Sylvanas’ royal apothecaries scramble to develop a devastating new plague - one which will not only eradicate their hated Scourge rivals, but the rest of humanity as well. To further their dark aims, the Forsaken have entered into an alliance of convenience with the primitive, brutish races of the Horde. Holding no real loyalty for their newfound comrades, the Forsaken have duped them into fighting against their common enemy - the Lich King. Only time will tell how these disciples of doom will fare in their mission of vengeance.

8 Likes

“Bound to the iron will of the tyrant Lich King, the vast undead armies of the Scourge seek to eradicate all life on Azeroth. Led by the banshee Sylvanas Windrunner, a group of renegades broke away from the Scourge, and freed themselves of the Lich King’s domination. Known by some as the Forsaken, this group fights a constant battle not only to retain their freedom from the Scourge, but also to slaughter those who would hunt them as monsters. With Sylvanas as their banshee queen, the Forsaken have built a dark stronghold beneath the ruins of Lordaeron’s former capital city. This hidden ‘Undercity’ forms a sprawling labyrinth that stretches beneath the haunted woods of the Tirisfal Glades. Though the very land is cursed, the zealous humans of the Scarlet Crusade still cling to their scattered holdings, obsessed with eradicating the undead and retaking their homeland. Convinced that the primitive races of the Horde can help them achieve victory over their enemies, the Forsaken have entered an alliance of convenience. Harboring no true loyalty for their new allies, they will go to any lengths to ensure their dark plans come to fruition. As one of the Forsaken, you must eliminate any who pose a threat to the new order – human, undead, or otherwise.”

12 Likes

Well then.

35 Likes

Is it bad that as I read those all I heard was the smooth gentlemanly voice of the narrator?

52 Likes

I liked seeing the original Horde description on the character create screen too.

“Four races comprise the Horde: the brutal orcs, the shadowy undead, the spiritual tauren, and the quick-witted trolls. Beset by enemies on all sides, these outcasts have forged a union they hope will ensure their mutual survival.”

Also, this narrator dude gives further credence to my fun interpretation of the Lore as being told to us through some sort of Wrynn perspective or something. I mean “primitive, brutish races” ? C’mon now, idk if Horde races are gonna be describing themselves like this.

15 Likes

I’m not really sure why it uses the term ‘duped’ when also acknowledging the Lich King is a common enemy.

3 Likes

Not at all. I think it sucks he doesn’t voice the allied race intros, feels like something is missing.

In fact, the dark tone he takes when he starts with “As one of the Forsaken” up to the end is just chillingly awesome.

5 Likes

This is the version I remember, but both versions go through great lengths to point out that the Forsaken and the Horde are two distinct factions who are cooperating for the sake of survival. The game mechanics simplified it to Alliance vs. Horde (just like it simplifies Sunwalkers and Prelates to Paladins), but the reality is it was always Alliance vs. Horde and Forsaken, at least until the Forsaken took over the Horde completely.

8 Likes

Geeze they really came a long way in trying to pretend the Forsaken are the good guys since Classic.

2 Likes

lmao check this one out

The vicious Jungle Trolls, who populate the numerous islands of the South Seas, are renowned for their cruelty and dark mysticism. Barbarous and superstitious, the wily Trolls carry a seething hatred for all other races.

One tribe, however, was forced to overcome its prejudices when it encountered the Orc Warchief, Thrall, and his mighty Horde. The Trolls of the Darkspear tribe, long since exiled from their ancestral lands in Stranglethorn Vale, were nearly destroyed by a band of aquatic Murlocs, but Thrall and the Horde managed to save them. In return the grateful Trolls swore an oath of eternal allegiance to the Horde.

Led by the cunning Shadow Hunter, Vol’jin, the Darkspear Trolls now make their home in Durotar along with their Orcish allies. Their village, named after their fallen tribal elder, Sen’jin, lies along the eastern coast of the harsh, rocky land. The Darkspear tribe also occupies tracks within the nearby jungles of the Echo Isles.

As part of the Horde, the Trolls have extended their loyalty to the mighty Tauren, but they have little trust for the manipulative Forsaken, whom they believe will visit only misery and strife upon their allies.

…bruh

24 Likes

Sylvanas is now dividing the Horde and possibly using it for evil ends!

Me: shocked Pikachu face

8 Likes

I remember this one very well. Their mistrust of the Forsaken was part of what drew me to them in the first place. I wish the Darkspear were proven wrong (about the misery and strife), but no one can claim we didn’t warn them.

9 Likes

I just hate how not only did Blizz kill Vol’jin in such a pathetic way, they make him, the leader of the damned Darkspear, the one to make Sylvanas Warchief… like wtf.

8 Likes

There has never been a development in the game that I’ve hated more than this one. At least he said “I never trusted you,” not that it softens the blow too much.

9 Likes

I wish people would stop with this already, they’re Paladins, it’s not just the game.

Also, where are those descriptions from anyway? Wowhead just lists them as being from the old website.

No, they’re Sunwalkers and Prelates. Those terms exist to differentiate them from Paladins.

8 Likes

Are Blood Knights or Vindicators also not Paladins? Having a sub-title doesn’t mean you’re not part of a class.

1 Like

Blood Knights and Vindicators worship the Light. Sunwalkers worship An’she and Prelates worship the loa. An’she and Rezan may draw power from the light, but they’re distinct religions from the Church of the Light.

11 Likes

They both use the Light, it doesn’t matter if they worship it.

Well, it certainly feels a bit dumb when the Foraken never really got to do anything beyond Wrathgate in WotLK.

3 Likes