RBG Tanks Balance

Ok Ok I know this is an incredibly niche activity. But I think it’s worth bringing up.

Past about 1400-1500 you can only find groups as a tank in RBGs if you are a DH.

Doesn’t help that you can use the night fae movement ability while carrying the flag.

Occasionally teams will take a bear. I get it I understand why. The DH toolkit makes it best for flag based BGs. We need some more balance. Rerolling shouldn’t be the answer.

1 Like

100%. I’d go even further that WoW pvp needs to further define and build on tanks in pvp as a support/brawler spec.

It would give a much needed influx to tanks in PvE, and be a valid spot in other forms outside FCs. Right now tanks are only ever used outside FC if they are abusing some OP mechanism.

3 Likes

I played prot warrior and bear in legion and they were both pretty good.

The thing about tank specs is they never spend any time whatsoever designing them or balancing them for pvp. So if they end up viable, it’s usually by accident or because of one or two talents. Like hot trub for brewmaster in legion.

Game is so unbalanced hope they fix it soon, getting tired of the same old meta.

SWTOR tanking was really good, they’d mediocre damage but their taunts played a huge part. If they taunted you, you dealt 30% less damage to all other targets for 6 seconds. They had 1 single target taunt on a 12 - 16 second CD and an AOE taunt on a 30 second CD.

They also had other support abilities to increase the survival of thier teammates, small absorb bubbles on leaps and what not, intercede was a leap to a friendly target that reduced damage to them for a short time. Force push was like a small CC that pushed a target far away and you were knocked prone for one second.

Tanking was fun in that game, wish thier end game had been better.

Guardian druid is just as viable as VDH. I lost a game today against a 1950 Brewmaster monk tank. The only VDH that really works is Nightfae only and speaks more to the insane power of the covenant over the class.

Kyrian VDH doesn’t even really work and that’s the closest second option, if they were to balance The Hunt to be in line with the rest of demon hunter covenants I’m sure you’d see the meta become Guardian, Brewmaster, VDH, and sometimes prot pally.

Thing about it is; if they do that, you see more Tanks in arenas then, which IMO no tank should ever be able to que into arenas. It should not even be an option for that type of play, however, if they made it so no tank can que into arenas, then by all means yeah def make tanks very fun and awesome in PvP/around PvP RBG designs.

Guardian is much tankier than VDH, but VDH has more mobility, mainly because Guardians do not shift out of bear form while under attack. They can travel form while not being attacked, but the moment any kind of PvP combat is coming up they need to stay in bear form, otherwise they have no armor and no extra health or anything.

Blow for blow, though, Guardians are much tankier than DHs, but they just can’t move well.

What makes Prot Pallies bad as FCs is that they have no HP for the burst windows that most specs have, especially melee and Boomkins. Same with Warriors and Monks, though Monks got stagger, which they can stagger Magic damage with a certain talent.

Nonetheless, though, the toolkit the Paladins have for their spec works for PvE, but not for carrying flags. Warrior’s toolkit is fine for FCing, but, they just got no HP to stay alive with. The Druid’s entire niche, for the most part, is having the ability to travel fast in outdoorsy areas, but also more than that it’s in their healthpool size. My bear’s only 205, and I got like 55k hp in bear form.

I wish you could Taunt players and force them to attack you in PvP, but, that’s not a thing. There is a PvP talent that let’s you taunt players, but, it just increases the damage they take rather than forcing the player into attacking you instead like it does in PvE.

i can get into pretty much any RBG i want as a BDK. Presuming the slot isnt alrdy filled by a VDH lol.

im not sure what a BRM monk brings to the table.
You may just be a dead spec. Like all my specs are relative to Arena.

DH design can’t be balanced without severely hurting PvE.

Guardians are infinitely better than VDHs anyways.

Plus as guardian you can run mass entanglement and than use mobility.

As long as there isn’t a Rogue waiting at the ready for the moment you shift out of bear form just to stun you and keep you out, yeah. I’ve had that happen several times in rbgs where the rogue just played that waiting game, and it paid off.