Rare Raid Items Should Have Increased Drops

So with the rare raid items having such a low drop chance and every person on 20 man team normally needing it, this is a something I’ve been thinking about for a few weeks. We’ve had council on farm for 3 months now and have only seen two Icons in that time. Would it be better design to have rare drops from all bosses in the raid? Maybe limit it to tinkets and rings sense weapons are useable by a small amount? Sometimes you know your only hope is a vault drop because someone else is ahead on the list for a rare item.

But how would blizzard keep people playing without horrendously low drop rates?

They need their MAU numbers for the shareholder meeting.

Think of poor blizzard🥺

They can keep my sub by giving me loot🥲

1 Like

Your answer is in the definition of the item “rare”.

2 in 3 months is beyond rare.

Depends on if you’re clearing weekly, or doing 1 each month. Kind of hard to say anything without looking at an objective statistical drop rate.

Regardless of how much better or “necessary” it is for any one spec to maximize dps/hps or tanking, it’s still meant to be harder to acquire while not being the end all be all of trinkets.

If there’s anything to complain about it’s how busted puzzle box is compared to other trinkets for certain specs. I don’t think any of the rare raid drops are bad in the sense that if you don’t have it, you can still be competitive.

If you read OP you would see I said we’ve had in on farm for 3 months. With 15 total kills on mythic. Don’t even know how many on heroic. Some have dropped in heroic not many though. 7 on our raid team atm with a couple from vaults.

but then they’d become common raid items.

Almost half your raid team having an icon doesn’t sound like a “rare” item. And the point about looking at an actual drop rate value still stands, otherwise it’s just your subjective analysis and you and or people in your raid group can be incredibly unlucky.

For instance we’ve had more icons drop than grief torch in raid, when torch isn’t even classified as a rare item.

Little over a quarter? That is 2 slot raid weekly boxes as well as heroic & mythic kills every week. When you count all those chances into aspect still extremely rare.

According to limited data on wowhead:

Icon has a 19% drop rate
Grieftorch has a 21% drop rate

7 out of 20 is more than 33% of your raid group not a quarter.

Sounds like just extremely bad personal luck.

This is meaningless quibbling over numbers, which trying to obfuscate accuracy.
What was said was “little over a quarter”. Which is true, 7/20 is a little over 5/20. Except it probably isn’t 7/20, because basically no Mythic raid roster is exactly 20 people, so if it’s 7/22, or 7/23, or whatever, that’s tending closer to a quarter. That was a response to you saying “almost half”.

Both descriptions are dancing around either potentially understating or overstating, although I guess if you’re going to go one way over the other, it’s closer to a quarter than a half. Which is why I guess 33% has now been entered the conversation, but characterising “more than 33%” is also trying to overstate it. Even if you’re assuming 20 people is a valid raid roster, 33% is 6.6666 recurring, which is an impossible number. You’ve either got 6, or you’ve got 7. Chucking on a “more than” is just being silly.

Manic Grieftorch is an item that is usable by a smaller number of specs, and drop rates account for that sort of thing.

To put it another way, Icon’s drop rate is technically higher than it otherwise would have been, for being usable by every spec, but since it’s rarer it’s still practically lower than an item that’s only usable by some, while still supposedly being desirable to many more. And obviously since Broodkeeper and Raz are at the end of progression, not something you even have access to when progressing …

That’s been one criticism with the rare items being “universal” items. Especially since you need a critical mass of them with the Icon, and the rings are the only raid rings.

1 Like

It’s relatively pointless anyways. The fact that every spec has a trinket within 1% of the performance of icon or trinkets that are better especially in different scenarios st, aoe, m+ v raid etc…, it’s just some obtuse thing to chase. The same can be said about rings and so on; the only outlier this season until the nerfs would’ve been the bow and items should never be that grossly powerful.

It’s nice to have these items but it is in no means required. The rarity of the drop has been classified by blizz, even so the drop rates aren’t horribly far off from other items to the point no one has them. Limited data on wowhead is more useful than hearsay though.

Without internal data being released we have no idea. Glad you showed up to pointlessly insert yourself into a thread per usual.

Anyways it’s not in a players interest to fruitlessly chase after said items.