Raider.io, how could you do this to me?

So here I am on my DK, she’s 275 and frost spec. We are doing Mists and it goes pretty smoothly, we time it with 2 minutes left then the druid asks what happened to the mage.

Now this was a +16, just slamming my weekly keys. I saw this mage did 4k dps. No biggie, we timed it and while I don’t mind carrying, saying that at the start woulda been nice. I was only running around 80-85% of my typical dmg.

Then I looked at this mage:

• Item level 274
  • Timed 37 keys between 15-19
  • Timed 3 keys between 5-9
  • Bricked only 3 keys between 15-19
  • 2640 IO, main is 2750
  • Ran keys with almost all different people
  • Ran Mists 13 times this season on 15-19 (all timed)

How on earth did this mage proceed to do less boss damage than the resto druid and 1/3 the damage of the 263 warlock? How has he been carried 40 times, 37 of which were timed?

Probably bought ksm then signed up to keys cause people saw the io or made his own. Then folks such as yourself were like “no biggie we timed it w/e” and well… 30+ keys later lol

5 Likes

It’s almost like IO score isn’t indicative of player skill at all.

19 Likes

io has never been a measure of skill. it’s a measure of experience.

8 Likes

Or they could be a person with a disability.

1 Like

That too good point Arlec or someone trying a new spec.

1 Like

that’s the red flag you missed

1 Like

Assuming they didn’t run with their friends, Visa and Paypal, yes.

Can never be too sure in a degenerate “game” where you can legally buy gold.

1 Like

It’s very easy and fun to get carries, perhaps they bought carries.

1 Like

I can finish ahead of 1 DPS in overall damage and still time a 15 pretty easily. It’s not common, but it’s not particularly rare either. /shrug

Possibly carried. Possibly felt they deserved a carry from you because they are just that awesome.

Or I mean I guess it could be latency if OCE/US were mixing…

You can never really tell with pugs.

I don’t get the appeal of buying carries. Why are you paying to get gear and IO for content that you: 1) are incompetent at doing and 2) can’t receive impactful upgrades for anymore as you start doing it…
It’s like paying to just to say “I win” without having to play

2 Likes

I tried unholy earlier today, con confirm, only did 10k, felt awful in that top run…

I don’t either.

I guess the mental stimuli of “Number Go Up” is enough to get people to swipe until they smell of burning plastic, even though nobody really cares that your number went up.

It’s the reason phone games exist in the state they are.

This is how I feel too but I’m not going to judge how other spend their money.

My guess is mounts and achievements.

They bought 4 carry out of trade chat per week for 10 weeks to get 2 278 rolls. Then they stopped because they got their ilvl target. That’s 2-ish tokens per week which isn’t a lot of money to a lot of people. This is how WoW is propping itself up at the moment, Bobby like telling investors about record token sales. What you think people been buying tokens for? Mogs? Maybe some, but there’s about as many people spamming their armor stack funnel group is ready to go now 100k any key in A52 trade as there is mogs and mounts listed on the AH. Is a huge market.

Collectors.

1 Like

Maybe a personal emergency and he was distracted by parent/kids/pets or the phone.

Those kind of stats don’t indicate a buyer.

It seems like you do:

I’ll tell you a story if it helps you get some perspective. On a new alt, you’re 226 ilvl and you can get yourself a level 2 key. You can spend hours building it up with a variety of people, and if you’re like me, building it down because I suck. Nobody wants to play with me, nobody wants to join my level 9 dungeon, and I have no shot of getting into someone else’s group as a low ilvl/score dps.

OR in less than an hour, you can pay the equivalent of 18 dollars, get an M+20 carry from some good players, 2-3 pieces of 262 item level gear, a piece of 278 gear in the vault, and a timed 20 on your resume no matter what.

1 Like