Raid lag/fps issue is hardware or bandwidth?

I have a GTX 1080 which, although it is old, everywhere else I go in the game is 100% fine, and I run in excess of 60fps at all times. In fact it might be higher than that but I don’t have fps displayed most of the time. There is no lag or fps or any other issue at all.

I’ve finally gotten into a couple of raids, and at first everything there was fine also, but at the first boss fight (and every boss fight so far), my fps drops to 1 or 2 fps.

The first thing I did was reduce every video setting, and it was a marginal improvement, maybe 2-4 fps, but I’m guessing really. Going back to open world etc., I run everything at good or high quality and there are no issues at all. But in a raid with everything at 1, or low or off, it is totally unplayable.

Is this more of a video card issue, or is it more likely a bandwidth issue? I am running 50Mbs and I check that on a regular basis.

Its an important question because a new RTX card is $500 - $900. I’m looking at Nvidia 3070 or possibly 4080. I would hate to spend the cash and still have the same problem.

edit: I just noticed I’m posting on my classic toon, but to be clear, I am referring to Dragonflight, specifically Primal Bulwark and Fury of the Storm

This forum may interest you… If you are having crazy bad fps drops and stuttering…

A lot of high end new pcs are having fps issues since prepatch.

1 Like

No, it’s not a bandwidth issue. Still to this day, WoW uses little more than ten or twenty kilobits of bandwidth during normal gameplay. In big old 40-person raids or battlegrounds, I’ve seen that spike to a couple hundred kilobits per second.

Not talking about game downloads, updates, etc. But for posterity I need to mention that or someone else will simply say, “WoW capped my bandwidth when I was installing!”

You can see how much bandwidth WoW uses by opening up task manager during play, or via any number of third-party apps that analyze your network usage. It’s very, very little. Nearly what could be handled by a 56k dial-up modem. Certainly playable on an old ADSL connection at 768k. Your 50 megabit connection isn’t even breaking a sweat.

1 Like

Thanks, I suspected as much but didn’t realize how low the bandwidth usage really is.

The forum recommended above is omfg. So glad I didn’t buy a new video card thinking that was the problem.

I know, it’s crazy. There are videos in that forum with even the newest hardware having issues…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.