Racial Coding in WoW

And this is one more reason why the story was better when it was a clash of two morally grey factions, filled with tragic misunderstandings.

14 Likes

Unironically best post in the thread. Y’all need to chill out and take notes.

Hey, if Blizz makes this the Horde’s theme song, I will be OK with it.

6 Likes

Indragonlancethepeopleoftheworldcalledthemgnomesnotlittlepeople.sometimestheycalledthemMinoibutthatwasalotlesscommonandyoushouldreallygetyourfactsstraightbecauseitsprettysillytocallgnomeslittlepeoplewhenyouhadotherracesthatwerealsoshortersothatwouldjustcauseconfusionifyouonlymeantonerace.

3 Likes

The virtue signalling is nauseating

part of what makes the wow races appealing is their real life parallels

Following is the more accurate list

Alliance

Human - If USA was a country in medieval Europe
Night Elves - buddist/shintoists
gnomes- wh1te n n3rdy
dwarfs- scots-irish, vikings
Draenei- Rus, Indian, gypsies
Worgen- Transylvania/Vicbrit

Horde

Orc- African
Tauren- American Indians
Troll- Jamaican
Undead- Gothic, zombie life
Blood Elf- Greco-Persian, Sultanate
Goblin- Italian mafia, with an ad mix of some converso’s

3 Likes

Nice virtue signalling.

10 Likes

Um no, we are far closer to Mad Scientists than “wh1te n n3rdy”. If you disagree, then my Gnomish Death Ray and you are gonna have a nice chat.

Person A : You are a thief

Person B: Takes one to know one

That is not how it works.

1 Like

Not a comparable analogy.

3 Likes

yes, yes it is
I’ll break it down for you

if you are guilty of a crime, “stealing”

I do not need to be guilty of a crime to acknowledge that you are guilty of committing a crime

If you are guilty of “virtue signalling”

I do not need to be guilty of the same, in order to acknowledge that you are committing a crime.

1 Like

So exactly what crime did he commit to be called a thief?

2 Likes

drawing a parallel

I didn’t claim you needed to be guilty of virtue signalling to acknowledge it. But your acknowledgment of it was clearly virtue signalling itself. These are in-equivalent because the act of calling someone a thief essentially cannot be the same as actually stealing.

3 Likes

Drawing a parallel is not theft. Are you saying you have sole ownership of the concept or something, that nobody may draw parallels?

2 Likes

Ten foot pole!

I don’t think you have a full grasp of what is being argued.

that is called projection

it is if the thief is actually stealing, thus why person B is being called a thief.

1 Like

I think you are just upset you were called out on hypocrisy.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the term a bunch of times before but never really thought to look it up before now. So pulling from wikipedia…

Is that really something that’s going on in this thread? Because it didn’t look like anyone was trying to puff themselves up over how good they are by connecting WoW races to real life parallels.

12 Likes

You can think as you want. I call it as I see it.

Again, Person A cannot be a thief by just calling Person B a thief.
Person A can be virtue signalling by calling out Person B’s supposed virtue signalling.
That is why this thief analogy is clearly not comparable. It doesn’t matter if Person B is actually stealing or not because calling them a thief will never constitute theft. Whereas calling out supposed virtue signalling can itself be virtue signalling.

Dwarves? British? lol wut?

The only thing British about dwarves is their stereotypical Scottish accent and thats about where all similarities end.

Everything about dwarves, from their long beards, short stature, living underground beneath mountains to their association with smithing, mining, and crafting all stem from Norse mythology.

Depending on which version you look at, things differ slightly

In the Poetic Edda the Dvergr (Dwarfs) were from the realm of Niðavellir, known as the ‘Dark fields’, ruled by King Hreidmar.

In the Prose Edda written later in the 13th century, the Dwarfs were refered to by the term Svartálfar (Black Elves) and their homeland was called Svartalfheim.

But regardless which version of the Edda you read, one thing remains constant that in norse mythology the Dwarfs (Dvergr/Svartálfar) were underground short bearded craftsman who loved mining and smithing. They also were hoarders of magical relics and created such works as Asgards walls and Thor’s hammer.

The dwarves origins is something you see in most modern fantasy versions. Dwarves often use Norse/nordic runes as their alphabet, they use a lot of traditional ‘nordic’ imagery such as knotwork and the like, retain their love of smithing and mining as well as drinking and martial prowess. All of which are present in Warcraft as well, which is probably why its no coincidence they share ancestry with the Vrykul.

Even Tolkien’s depictions of Dwarves (which he renamed- the proper original spelling was dwarfs) came straight from norse mythology. In fact the story of the one ring was partially inspired by the tale of the dwarf prince Fafnir who was corrupted by greed because of a magic ring.

TL;DR Dwarves are based off of the Dwarfs from Scandanvian myth

12 Likes