Race/Class restrictions: fun lore or strawman for real racism?

tbh they should make arms or fury agility based.

1 Like

This thread is distilled cancer.

6 Likes

Not to mention that the difference in strength between a gnome and a human is probably much less than that between a human and a tauren. Yet we still let humans be warriors.

All in all class/race restrictions become flimsier and flimsier the longer the game goes on. You’re telling be absolutely no Forsaken have taken up shamanism or studied with trolls to learn how to perform voodoo?

The most damning part of it though?

Void elves can be holy priests. So can Forsaken. Even though wielding the Light should, based on lore, be physically destructive to them.

So in light of Forsaken physically torturing themselves to wield the Light for gameplay reasons why can’t a troll decide to teach his goblin friend how to turn into a raptor?

I don’t recall seeing any races there outside of Night Elves, Blood Elves, and Broken.

2 Likes

Lightforged Warlocks.

1 Like

So, from what I recall. Sometimes it’s not a matter of “they wouldn’t” it was a matter of “There’s so few that it interests that it’s not worth going into.”

Like the human shaman from Vanilla.

That said, they also allow things that, like you said, should be not a thing? Some forsaken I could see using the Light. From what I remember it just makes them ACCUTELY AWARE that they’re rotting.

Troll druids weren’t a thing originally because the Loa said “no” and Gonk said “lol, yes because it’ll be funny.”

And the argument kinda falls apart further when you do take into consideration that “yes, this part of the class works for this race so we’re including it. Even if the other parts don’t make sense.”

You could warp any class/race combo with any lore justification you want.
The one I want most, for example: Orc and Mag’har paladin: A shaman that reveres the ancestors and draws their power directly from them rather than the elements.

Gnome/Goblin druid: Alchemists that use potions to assume animalistic shapes and focus on natural magic.

Goblin/Gnome paladin: Warrior that looked into the Light. Or a priest that decided “getting stabbed hurts” and put on plate.

Fel Orcs, Humans walked around mostly as servants, broken, BE’s and NE’s.

Thanks one and all for participating in this discussion! I think many good points were raised on both sides.

Weird. Hilarious. But not impossible.

Lightforged Draenei: So you’re telling me, I can bind a demon to my will and force it to fight it’s vile kin and potentially show it the ways of the Light like it did with High Commander Lothraxion?

Human Warlock: I mean…yeah but wait who is Loth-

Lightforged Warlock summoning a succubus: We are going to kill a lot of demons and I’m going to force you into the Light!

Succubus: Well this got weird but I’m into it.

1 Like

Its good in that we shouldnt have tauren warlocks or tauren mages or orc paladins or maghar paladins, its bad in that Night elves, forsaken etc should be able to be paladins, its also good in that well Highmountain priests and paladins COULD make sense but it shouldnt.

Its also good in that Mechagnome/gnome paladins should NEVER exist as a race/class combo, I could accept Orc shamans but idk i feel like maghar being tied to them is enough.

Draenei warlocks should exist though.

1 Like

Personally, I vote for “fun lore.” I liked the flavor that came with some of the restrictions–like, I thought it was cool and interesting that Night Elves scorned mages, or that Draenei had this unexpected shamanic side alongside the light and arcane users. Or how Kul Tirans are the only humans who have a tradition of druidism. It helps keep everything from turning into bland mush.

The idea of unlocking certain race/class combinations is an interesting one, though.

Challenging norms doesn’t necessarily make you a hero. Sometimes the opposite is true, and you’re a hero because you uphold certain social norms.

Gameplay wise, what makes your character a hero is what they bring to a group that other characters cannot. IT ACTUALLY ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY (you do care about diversity, don’t you? because if not then…) because if you are a Tauren, going aroud with your Tauren buddies and want a summon, you have to call up one of your non-tauren buddies to do it for you.

in this way the members of the Alliance or Horde respectively, are interdependent, because they cover each other’s weaknesses and compliment each other’s strengths.

In the RTS, your army is stronger when you have a properly diverse unit composition. Armies that are combined from the best units from different races are even stronger. It’s the same concept.

Especially since racial abilities are mostly inconsequential, the class restrictions serve well in this capacity. I can only think of so many ways to say “Homogenization is bad”, “choices should be meaningful” ect.

3 Likes

Actually, there were a LARGE number of humans (and even a few Gnomes) in the Broken Temple, mostly as servants and concubines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWoG8IckyE&ab_channel=NuMetal2001

2 Likes

I mean, sure there are. The issue isn’t the limitation, it’s that what they chose to limit off and on doesn’t make sense imo.

I still don’t understand this though, since Gilneans could be druids prior to becoming worgen

Which goes back to “there’s no good reason”.

Lore: Not a good reason, because lore is easily changed.

Mechanics: Not a good reason, none of the races have unique animations that would make class skills undoable.

The only reason I can kinda see is the amount of time needed to implement. But then I think about it more and the amount of time they waste on systems that will only last 1 expansion is time they could be using unlocking all the classes for every race and it’ll have far better effects on the game because it won’t go away in 2 years.

People seem to be wanting WoW to essentially become Second Life.

Make your character with no limitations. Be whatever you want to be.

You want a red human with a tail and tusks with a height/weight slider set at maximum? Go for it! Lore can easily be changed.

Want a Tauren Rogue? Go for it! Lore can easily be changed.

I want it, so retcon it.

Why not merge Starcraft into WoW then? Let’s have an expansion where the two universes clash and Kerrigan can seduce Anduin into an alliance and my Troll can wear power armor taking down enemies with a laser gatling gun.

Lore can easily be changed.

”Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could , they didn’t stop to think if they should.” - Dr. Ian Malcolm

8 Likes

^ This comment wins the thread.

This is a bait thread but 99% of race/class combos don’t make sense anymore after a decade+ of the races interacting with eachother and should go.