Quick question about buying Shadowlands

I’m playing Shadowlands between Phase 5 until Naxx releases. I haven’t played retail before. If I pre-order Shadowlands now, I won’t need to buy BFA too when it releases right? I also can use the Lv 50 boost if I opt for the more expensive versions, right? All that happens is that I’m unable to play past 110 until Shadowland releases?

From what I understand, you only buy the most recent expansion for WoW and you don’t need to purchase the older ones. But on the product page it says that BFA is required, which is confusing.

you won’t be able to apply shadowlands to the account without bfa

if you don’t want to purchase bfa, you’ll need to wait until they roll bfa into the base game.

BfA currently is the most recent expansion. shadow lands doesn’t assume that role until it’s release date.

Pre-purchasing an expansion that has not been released yet doesn’t make it the most recent expansion.

So, wait. I have a friend that will be joining me once shadowlands drops. if im reading you all correctly he shouldnt buy shadowlands until release?

He was gonna buy the $60 pack once pre-patch went live. but youre saying he wont be able to level to 50 if he does that? sorry a lil confused

If you buy the heroic complete collection, you get BFA, Shadowlands, a 110 boost, and a 120 boost, and you can use the boosts now. Scroll down in link.

BFA will almost for sure become free (part of base game) sometime at prepatch or launch, but there has been no announcement. Legion became free during the BFA pre patch.

So, if you want the 110 boost, then buying BfA (or the complete collection for BfA + Shadowlands) now makes sense. (Once it gets rolled into the base game, the 110 boosts won’t be available anymore, only the 120 boosts from the Shadowlands heroic edition and higher.)

If there’s something you want to try and knock out at 120 right now before prepatch, buy BfA now.

Otherwise, it probably makes sense to wait, as there is a very high chance that BfA will get rolled into the base game with pre-patch in a couple weeks. (There’s no official word, but the new player leveling experience uses BfA content, so it will be wonky if they don’t.)