Question for my friends on Moon Guard

So to try and keep it short and sweet iv never replayed before and lately iv been thinking of rolling a toon on a rp server and seeing how it goes.

So questions:

1. Are RP addons strongly recommended or can you get by without them.

2. was it awkward for you to start role playing and how did you get past the awkward phase?

3. Is there a website to do some roleplay research/walkthroughs like do’s and donts?

4. Do most guilds expect you to know what you are doing upon joining or do they help you get into the groove of roleplaying if you are new? I know this is kind of an out there questions since everyone’s experiences are different.

1 Like

Yes and yes. You can get by with addons in the same way you can get by without addons in raiding and PvP. It may be more difficult and would take more work on your behalf, but it’s definitely doable. RP addons allow you to not only identify yourself as a roleplayer (not everyone on Moon Guard RPs) but they also allow you to read things about the characters with which you are interacting. WoW models are painfully restrictive, so limiting your RP to purely what you see in game can be difficult or awkward. Flagging yourself as a roleplayer can also have some good passive effects, like getting messages from people who read your profile and are interested in RPing with you.

If it turns out you’ve been RPing with a demon instead of a draenei the entire time, you won’t find out until the other player explicitly states they’re a demon in chat.

I was 16 when I started, so literally everything I did was awkward. You get over it with practice and realizing that it’s just a fun hobby and that anyone who takes it too seriously needs to spend some time off the internet.

I’m sure there are, and I’m sure I would vehemently disagree with like 90% of the “rules”. Best policy is to just have fun and don’t force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do.

Best place for research would be https:// wow.gamepedia. com/Wowpedia . My advice is to start with your class and your race and then just surf for a few hours and see what you get.

I think that in the age of overall declining player populations, most guilds should appreciate new roleplayers joining their ranks. Being up front about your roleplaying experience and what you are looking for will net you more roleplay opportunities with the guild. Go to the events, make yourself known, and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes
  1. I don’t think you need a ton of add-ons, but TRP3 is highly recommended, so you can see other people’s roleplay profiles.

2. I was so immersed when I started playing WoW, that I was pretty much RPing already, on a PVE realm. Wasn’t too awkward when I created an alt on MoonGuard.

3. Hmm, I don’t have any to recommend.

4. I think that would depend on the guild as they all have varying rules and expectations. Some will be open to new folks, and others will want more experienced players/RPers.

2 Likes

Yeah. I highly recommend TRP (Total Roleplay) has more features when compared to MRP, and is more visually appealing.

I grew up roleplaying. First time I ever played D&D I was 7. I’m sure it can be awkward for some people though, but not me.

There are some RP guides on Wowikki, and DoransMovies on youtube does videos that pretty much have a guide for roleplaying as the main classes (except demon hunter) aswell as all the races.

Just like with people, it depends. Some people are more welcoming to new comers, while others are elitist.

1 Like

Sorry for the late response but thank you for all of the answers :smiley: ill probably be making my toon tonight and ill be getting the addon and ill try to stick through the learning phase ha

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Moon Guard! I agree with most of the other answers (use TRP3, surf Wowpedia, be up-front about your RP experience) but I wanted to provide an answer for the opinion question:

Absolutely.

I had been RPing from a young age, true, but I knew it was pretty bad even then. My struggles with social anxiety prohibited me from playing more outgoing characters and procuring storylines, so most of them turned out to be dead-ends with no real development to them beyond their backstory.

I got through it by learning to write a compelling narrative, for one (pick up a few books you think you’d like and get crackin’! You develop a lot of your writing style through what you read) and learning that community outreach is a beautiful thing. Just including in my profile that I was looking for friends and storylines brought WAY more than I thought it would – but it makes sense!

As long as you present yourself as someone willing and eager to improve and make friends, you should move past that awkward phase real quick. I’d recommend starting simple for your first RP character; a ‘blank slate’ type, developed entirely off of the RP you do. That way you don’t get tied up in backstory details or acting like your character would to a T – because they have only a basic history and a rudimentary personality.

Of course, you can do whatever you want! Shape your first character the way you see fit, because in the end, they’re yours! Just make sure you can support the developments you make within the lore as you make them. :slight_smile: I’ll be happy to RP with you once you got 'em figured out!

P.S. Sorry if I said obvious things! Tired punchadin is tired.

3 Likes
  1. RP addons are recommended. This isn’t just because people want you to have them, but it adds a wonderfully fun layer to customization and development of your RP character. Addons like TRP3 let you add titles, surnames, non-game classes, and more.

2. It was. I have 10+ years of table top RP experience and WoW RP still filled me with apprehension. Push yourself through the anxiety and do walk ups. The more experience you get, the easier it will become.

3. Doronsmovies and Inquisitor Aura on YouTube have some good videos. There might be some dated lore, but the general information is very valid imo.

4. Most guilds I’ve been in on MG are accepting and helpful.

1 Like

I don’t have anymore advice than these guys, but its fun. I like it because on my main I somehow start talking like im in a Shakespearean play. It spices up conversations and makes things funny. Use a different mannerism. I also have a Worgen druid with two personality’s. One polite and gentlemenly (human form) the other aggressive and angry (you know) so Make a funny quirk it makes the awkwardness disappear if you don’t Take it Extremely seriously.

1 Like

Thanks all i appreciate the responses, makes me less apprehensive about diving into rping. Now i just need to work on my creativity ha.

I managed to make a toon last night to poke around and from what i saw i liked the community, even tho i didnt get into the rping part yet (baby steps).

1 Like

Cool man what is your toon

1 Like

The toon i made last night was more for exploratory purposes but i will make a better one tonight and update the thread with his name :D. It takes me forever to create and name a toon usually i just go through books to find names but i gotta work on a real name for this new toon.

There’s no harm in just observing, i certainly did (and still do) a lot of that. A fun place for you to poke around might be the Moon Guard Wiki - moon-guard.fandom dot com . Lots of neat pages there!

1 Like

Ya ill probably be doing a lot of observing just to see how its done before i try and jump in.

Ill definitely take a look at those websites!

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I just really want to know what kind of RP you’re doing in a getup as creepy as that.

Shhhhh. It’s a secret.

For real though, it’s for a disguise! Can’t be showin’ her whole face in public (she takes the mask off in the Cathedral, don’t worry) while rats are afoot.

2 Likes

Seems I’ll never see the face of the strange spooky masked paladin- it kinda hurts to stand in there, what with… ya know. Being dead and all. >_<

1 Like

Oh, don’t be a baby. Those void elves sure have an easy time walking the Cathedral’s grounds! It’s almost like it was never consecrated at all.

:’ )

I am a new player too but will try and help as much i can

1. TRP3 yeah but most of the rest are not as big
  2. I started rping at like 6/7 years old doing d&d and the likes even though i was horrible at it being too young but the teens whom i did it with where happy to have me so rps never really be weird and awkward
  3. thers some but i honestly just watched nobbels videos and read ingame law and have done fine so far
  4. am guildless kinda x3

Hello all id like to thank you guys again for all the advice and if you see my new toon Dritus on Moon Guard dont be afraid to say hi!

4 Likes