Questing vs Grinding

There’s no World First cheeve attached to Classic, dude. Why not just enjoy the amazing experience it was to lvl, instead of trying to steamroll your way to 60? Achievements: The beginning of the end for the WoW community.

2 Likes

I’ve been practicing leveling on a North pserver and have a few observations after bringing 3 classes to 60 (Hunter, Mage, Rogue - all horde).

Questing until ~28 goes really fast, at this point the travel between questing zones started to really eat into my xp/hr and gold/hr so I wanted to focus on areas where there was good mob density and quests to complete over a wide level range which lead me to 1k needles/Shimmering Flats and Feralas.

Using my methods below I was by far the fastest leveling character in my guild and average ~10 days /played 1-60 hitting 60 with enough gold for epic mount.

Make sure you have a bank alt so you can mail items instead of running back to AH constantly.

Professions: Skinning/LW

make sure to do the quests around lvl 40 to get the Nightscape patterns, save all thick leather and craft Nightscape tunics to vendor as this will give the greatest g/hr while leveling.

• Level 28-30 - Pesterhide Hyenas - 1k needles
  • Level 30-34 - Turtles, Basilisks, Scorpids - Shimmering Flats
  • level 34-38 - Silithids - SW shimmering flats
  • level 38-40 - finish up 1k needles/Shimmering flats quests
  • lvl 40-50 - Bears->Apes->Yetis->Hippogryphs + opening quests - Feralas
  • lvl 50-53 - Bears/Wolves/Yetis + Finish Feralas quests - NW Feralas
  • lvl 53-55 - Green quests - Hinterlands/Un’goro/Azshara
  • lvl 55-60 - Owlkin->Yetis in Winterspring, BRD and Onyxia quests

I skipped dungeon runs for the most part except to get the sceptre to open Maraudon so I could solo farm on my hunter once I hit 60.

Skinning does add time onto leveling but having 800-1200g hitting level 60 makes it worth while imo. My best advice is to save crafting until the end of your session then afk craft a ton of nightscape stuff to vendor when you next login.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to factor in whether you’re likely to burn out on just grinding or burn out on just questing.

Grinding for no other reason than XP tends to make me cross-eyed. It’s not so bad if I’m also getting meat to raise cooking and skins to sell, or working on a reputation to get a mount I want. I have done grinding to finish out a level if I’m close, especially if I know it will make more quests available, but trying to get an entire level just by grinding would wind up with me playing less.

However, that’s just me. If the way I feel about grinding is how someone else feels about questing, grinding may be the better option for them - regardless of the mathematical / theoretical efficiency of one over the other.

3 Likes

I would rather quest than grind, but sometimes I just get frustrated from being ganked or there are too many people fighting over the same items and mobs, it’s not worth waiting around. However, I will only grind rested. Unrested grinding ages me 10 years.

1 Like

I like this info, may try this just for fun

1 Like

From what ive heard its worth killing yellow level mobs that are inbetween you and the quest travel points.

1 Like

when i was playing back in 05 this toon was solely a instance runner. got half a level most times per run. and as long as you have a group willing to continue ( and walk to all the dungeons btw lol) it went quite quickly

p.s. started out as an undead in the begining then went to belf for a while then human then nelf then undead then belf then nightborne back to belf and now nborne lol race change problems lol the race span of a 2005 created toon lol

I haven’t played any private servers ever, but has anyone tried to grind trash mobs in dungeons with 2 or 3 people to see how effective it is.

I remember high levels could grind trogs in rfc for low levels to level up fast in their group because all the trogs at the entrance grouped up fast.

I have always wondered if 2 or 3 people same level mages aoe grinded a dungeon with lots of mobs if they could level faster then waiting for mobs to respawn by resetting instance.

I dont think people realize proper play with warriors/paladins/shamans can have 0 down time between mobs when done right.

Also technically the fastest way to level is have a 60 paladin pull entire instances for you, leave group then start aoe and then they start their aoe. You get full mob exp and they do all the work. Ive seen this done up to sm cath and armory but i dont think in anything higher then that.

Problem with that is that elites give 2x the exp then a normal mob the same level. Very few elites have less then 2x the health. So it still typically is better to grind normals then elites with multiple people.

There are few exceptions (black whelps near onyxia) actually die really fast and are elites iirc

Fascinating stats here. 10 days /played when RUSHING?!? That’s far higher than i dared hope for!

And that’s on pservers; presumably Vanilla can only be the same or longer!

But are you accounting for synergy? Windfury buffing a Warrior, etc? If elites are typically 4x HP then yeah probably wont matter but at 3x it still might…

I wouldn’t say “rushing” per se but I wanted to max gold farm as well as minimize leveling time to find a good balance where I don’t have to gold farm a ton when i hit 60.

Because some people enjoy rushing to 60. I’m not among them but people like it.