PVP templates were needed

Templates were and currently are needed with the terrible state of the game. PVP gear in this game is outright garbage there’s no reason to even have any of it, what heppened to pvp based stats on pvp gear? The few complaints about old expansions I see have to do with that xpac was terrible you needed to raid ICC or w/e for trinkets etc, how is that any different than now?

In order to be competitive in pvp you have no choice at all but to pve now, pvp gear is worse than pve gear in almost every case because pvp gear itself is essentially just lower ilvl pve gear. Vendors are never going to be a thing in the game and even if they are giving us pve items would just be worthless anyways. The only way to fix this is to just put templates back in the game, of course the template system itself is terrible but it’s the only way the average player can focus specifically on pvp only.

5 Likes

Disagree. Templates forced the devs’ idea of what stats to use rather than the stats that actually had the strongest yield per-spec.

We need gear vendors.

8 Likes

What if we had templates but there was a vendor that had gear that while in instanced pvp it scaled a secondary stat of your choice.

So you buy pvp bracers whose literal only effect is say, increase haste and mastery by 1 or 2% then maybe helm chest legs gave 2 or 3%

This way we have templates they can individually tune while the player has some control over the secondary stats they prioritize.

I welcome any discussion positive or negative

Templates were dogsht. Most of complains about the current pvp gearing would be fixed if the conquest rewards scaled with your rating.

6 Likes

I like it!

3 Likes

Templates was such a terrible idea. No thank you. The state of pvp is pretty awful right now but even with how BAD it is, still wouldn’t want templates.

For one those pve outliers gave a slight advantage, not a must have uber broken thing.

We still had vendors that gave us competitive gear and allowed us to only gear through pvp means.

Majority of the ladders then were still 90% pvp geared and gear power curves werent nearly as bad back then.
There were guilds clearing naxx, clearing it, in t6 BC gear.

You guys realize that PvP gear on vendors is just another form of templates that you put on yourself?

You don’t end up with stats that they don’t intend for you to have.

At the start of the season, you have a good idea which pieces of PvP gear you want.

They could literally take the stats of the final PvP gear set you intend to put on and make that into the template.

u wot?

There were always 2-3 choices of gear per slot with different secondaries on them and the player had - wait for it…

wait for it

The choice of what gear and stats to prioritize.

Oh please.

Most people just armoried the top players.

Blizzard should ask r1s which pieces of PvP gear they’d wear for each spec, and then make templates from that.

3 Likes

Still had the choice. AND it wasn’t in a fek-off mystery box that might give you useless mats or maybe a BiS from 2 seasons ago.

Except some people like different stat breaks for different playstyles.
With what you are proposing would kill that.

1 Like

If there really are multiple playstyles, they could make a template for each one.

Again, r1s could tell Blizzard which PvP gear set to use for each playstyle. Blizzard could make a template.

Except pve isn’t pvp. A lot of these guys aren’t number crunchers.

The only way templates would work if they gave us just a straight stat allocation.

1 Like

I disagree on the bad idea. I think that the concept was brilliant but the implementation fell extremly short of the mark. A fresh max level character could start to PvP immediately and only PvP if that is what they wanted to do. Acquiring ilvl was their only priority for PvP. However they failed to recognize improper stat weight allocations to multiple specs that actually hindered players.

The failure to quickly respond to the system’s deficiency ended up killing it due to the paralysis of fear from over/under tuning the stat knob.

I mean, then what would you do about essences? Or the cloak? It would be a mess.

Cloak and Corruption would be a nightmare to add to tuning unless they turned off Corruption in PvP…

Essences could be treated like ilvl increases based on the Neck and Individual Essence rank.

Edit to add that we will never see any of this.

Just my two cents…

Templates only make sense in instances like today, where PvP gear is non-existent. We have no choice in how we gear or build our characters because we are at the whims random gear system.

If PvP gear was brought back, and players had choice on how to gear, then there is no longer a need for templates. This is the better way to fix the issues we see today. It’s the best for player agency and variety in builds, and should be what Blizz goes back to…

Really?

I disagree. I’d take Legion PvP over BFA PvP in an instant.

2 Likes

in terms of gearing I’d take wod > mop > legion > bfa

Legion templates are better than this but worse than wod and mop’s gearing system.

3 Likes