PvP Participation is down over 60% this season

I wonder what could have changed to cause this?

Surely the lack of incentivization for PvE players to participate by lowering the gear played no role in this.

Definitely not a viability issue with specializations where certain covenants are severely disadvantaged for PvP while performing well in PvE, and the inability to swap between easily.

6 Likes

Alot of it has to do with them buffing PvE gear. The gear in raid and m+ is much better than last season so alot of the PvE community that was doing PvP for gearing in 9.0 has abandoned PvP. And people are probably frustrated with the gearing system and meta so they are just quitting

4 Likes

Maledict makes me never wanna play this game again it’s so bad it’s unreal

10 Likes

some pvp items are bis for raiding (badge) so this isn’t entirely it

1. Not alt friendly
  2. PVE don’t need to PVP anymore
  3. Some don’t like the Meta
  4. Getting gear
  5. Gear disparity
  6. Covenant, leggo, conduit, maw, korthia systems
22 Likes

PvP participation was garbage too first season after people realized it. It’s not a big surprise people were hyped for an xpac that might not suck which is why the numbers are inflated. Season 1 was bad just like season 2 is people just have no hope left for wow so the numbers are more accurate now.

7 Likes

I dunno it feels like game is the most balanced at max gear it’s been in a very long time. Literally every class/role combination has a top tier comp available.

Games being fast I think is fun but that’s a personal preference. Watching AWC games end in 2-5 min was a nice change, no need to skip 10 min ahead for dampening being reasonably sure game isn’t over by then.

There needs to be quick easy pvp-only-viable catchup on honor gear and people will play I think. Like, '200 ilvl honor gear that scales to two tiers below whatever bracket your cr is in pvp combat. So, if you’re 2100+ cr, your honor gear scales to whatever ilvl conquest is upgradeable to at 1600-1799 rating, so you’re at most 13 ilvl behind similar rated opponents.

As is I’m spending a ton of time I’d normally be pvp’ing on pve and rep grinds.

The drop off of pve players is also good. Don’t force people to play content they don’t want to do. Like it was nice for us when the tables were turned but all my m+ friends hated it and it wasn’t healthy for the game.

1 Like

Ya, this is key. Most of the players in this game are pve focused. Enh is venthyr pvp, NF WW is garbo for pvp, priests until now is venthyr or bust for pvp etc.

So when you wanna do pvp and it feels garbo because of covenant, pretty off-putting

1 Like

No lies detected

:thinking: waiting for Bloomsay any minute now. :laughing:

2 Likes

So is your friends list with a name like that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

currently only 32 rank 1 spots for horde

sinful ended with around 250 horde spots???

wow…

I actually quit tbc classic and came back to retail. I played last season so the honor gear is of no value to me.

I hit combatant with a friend fairly quickly but it appears at our current gear and not being the best comp its going to be quite the struggle hitting 1600 in 2s or 3s. Below 1550 we are seeing 45 to 50k Health pools.

I just dont enjoy rated battlegrounds I probably wont do them which will keep me behind.

The average player would just quit im just 1 one of those idiots thats stays subbed playing the same 1 class and spec because i cant find another game.

It is most likely because of players trying out TBC Classic Arenas!

I am currently having a blast on there!

Have no fear though, once players earn what they want on there participation will go back up in retail!

its because the top end players/whales are getting what they want. gear advantage over the noobs. imagine how many noobs got 1 shot and decided to stop playing.

5 Likes

Not true at all, but okay.

got glad last season

logged on, did some of the new daily stuff, saw i needed to grind 40 more renown AND re-grind my maw gem sockets

logged out and havent logged back in. beyond done with this time-played metric focused bs game design. i was also kyrian at launch and swapped to night fae and eventually venth, and to see i need to spend 2 weeks to just swap back covs is just a big flat nope

the most anti-player engagement game design ive ever seen. farm 900 systems in order to be viable? then do it again the following season? nah, no thanks

10 Likes

It’s almost like if they reverted the gearing system to 9.1 (but also buffed m+ so EVERYTHING scaled equally to max level), and made it so you could freely swap covenants EVERY area of content would be more popular…

1 Like

Using AWC games as a thermometer for pace is generally not a good way to measure how fast/slow a meta is tbh, games will inherently be slower in the vast majority of AWC games compared to ladder games(even tourney players queueing on ladder) simply because there are a lot less mistakes being made and teams generally try to play more on the safe/defensive side rather than super aggressive and making big gambles with CDs/trinkets/plays. When even an AWC game is lasting only 2 minutes, you know that damage is insanely high/the meta is extremely fast. When you look at those games that only last 2-3 minutes, a lot of the time those are situations where the same game would probably last no more than 30 seconds-minute on the ladder. There were a few fast games where pretty much every single defensive/trinket/healer CD were blown within the first 1-1.5m of the game and the only reason why the game didnt end was because you have some of the best players in the world playing(and even then just barely surviving), for the vast majority of players that would probably equate to the game being over in the opener or within the first minute.

Personally im not the biggest fan of damage being THIS high on top of tons of MS effects, and shackle now, because its turned the game into a zerg fest where the comp with the stronger/burstier classes/cooldowns usually win or the comp with the stronger defensives/immunities tend to win. Trying to kill through defensives has basically become the norm now, or better yet, killing someone before they can even press a defensive(or by the time they can react with a defensive theyre already 10% and its too late). I think shackle is honestly completely unnecessary when multiple MS effects got added and damage is already so high, I think theres a middle ground where offensive CDs power/prevalence/duration get nerfed a bit and defensives get buffed a bit, because theres a huge disparity between the two types of CDs right now.

the people who rerolled fotm is part of the reason pvp participation is down and it’s only gonna get worst