PvP DoT Damage + Resistances

Deathcoil is indeed an affliction spell.
I have 3/5 suppression, so 6%.

The natural pvp base miss chance is somewhere between 3-5%, so as far as deathcoil is concerned, if resistance plays no part, I should expect only 1% (unmitigated miss chance of all spells) of my deathcoils to resist. It happens a lot more than that when CoS is not up on the target. Given I’m only fighting purple geared 60s it’s safe (quite literally for me) to assume shadow resist is affecting hit rate for non-partial spells.

I know in PvE my dots damage can get resisted even after the dot is applied

Do some testing, use a DoT like Shadow Word Pain that has no secondary components attached.

I think Corruption and Curse of Agony should also work like Shadow word pain.

However something like Mind Flay is a Binary spell, meaning you it either works fully or does not… Frost Bolt is the same way, so keep that in mind when testing.

Thanks, and best of luck testing this.

PS 260 Shadow resist should give you like a 50% chance to flat out entirely resist their spells full stop, and a fairly healthy reduction in damage on non-binary spells.

I think that Corruption, Curse of Agony and Shadow word pain are not considered binary spells (could be wrong tho, I cant remember man, it’s been 15 years).

However with all that said, This is Classic WoW and it’s got a lot of new bugs that did not exist in “Vanilla” so testing is required.

??? My doom has crit before.

Thing is we would need an actual test to show that its getting resisted. Not to say that you re wrong, but we need to see the numbers. I performed a test on partial resists a while ago and against players with supression the partial resist chance was almost non-existant even with high resistances. Its fair to note though that you are not capped on the talent.

Here is the original post I made on the subject, has some screenshots of the testing: Shadow Resistance - Warlock spells - #9 by Pixystyx-stormreaver

sorry, i cant follow those imgur links on my phone, so it might be easier to ask which affliction spells in pvp are partially resisting?

On that note, for agony, corruption and siphon, are the dots ticking for reduced damage on high shadow resist pvp targets, even if the combat log doesnt show partial resist stats? i dont recall my dots in pvp ever giving partially resisted damage per tick, even when i had 1/5 suppression.

Suppression does not interact with your targets Shadow Resistance at all. It reduces the chance for the spell to miss. They are two completely separate mechanics.

Supression is currently interacting with the target’s shadow resistance. Whether this is working as intended or not, I have no idea.

Against most class DoTs using some +resistance, without a talent similar to Supression, most DoT ticks get a partial resist in the combat log. You can test this with Immolation for example, which is not an affliction spell against targets with some fire resistance (I suggest 70 FR or more) you will probably notice the DoT damage ticks get resisted.

Using +shadow resistance (149 in my test) against a warlock with 2/5 Supression, some DoT ticks were partially resisted, most were not (probably 2 out of all the ticks in each DoT application).

Using +shadow resistance (149 in my test) against a warlock with 5/5 Supression, no DoT tick was partially resisted at all.

EDIT: the link URL to the screenshots are spaced, because you can’t post links on the forum.

1 Like

Supression is NOT currently interacting with the target’s shadow resist, why are you making this ridiculous claim with absolutely 0 proof? Jesus can a mod please close this deliberate spread of misinformation.

1 Like

I’ve had mobs partial resist my dots, like CoA/Corruption/Curse of Doom

It’s not applied per tick either it’s a “this spell didn’t land right so it’s doing 50% damage each tick”.

I did post proof, on the other topic and linked it here. If you are just ignoring it, thats your problem mate.

Besides I wasn’t the one to create this topic, so I’m not the only one bringing this to everyone’s attention

The retail spell “Doom” might crit, but “Curse of Doom” cannot crit.

I don’t think spell hit and spell resist function properly in classic.

There is some serious weirdness in how they react to resistances and level differences when you add in either talents or penetration for spell hit.

This is how it was if I remember correctly. Also I recall dotting higher level mobs or players you could get a resist or miss per tick with the dot applies.

This is not accurate. DoT partial resists were in vanilla, 100% certainty.

1 Like

Testing has lead me to believe the same thing. Hopefully blizzard will at least look at the matter.

There is a difference between the stat shadow resist, and mobs with natural resistance to shadow damage.

Let’s not mix up PvE and PvP I am ONLY talking about PvP. I don’t stream or anything so don’t have anything recorded, but ill try to duel a lock tonight with resist gear on and take a slideshow of pictures.

If you use Windows you can do Win+G to record clips in the past, you can set it up at the default 30 seconds or up to 5 minutes if you want to.

where does it normally get saved too? ((Wow I suck at computers been trying to record for over 30 minutes and I just can’t get it to start with win+g))