PvP DoT Damage + Resistances

Figured having 260 Shadow res would reduce a warlock DoT ticks in pvp.
Can not resist ANY dot damage at all…why???

1 Like

its only a chance to resist the application i believe and a portion of hard casted spells like mindblast and shadowbolt. basically u just oom them faster because they need to hit the button 2+ times to apply the dot

1 Like

Dots are binary spells. So it’s either a hit or a fully resist on each application. Higher resistance gives higher chance to resist but the Warlocks/Spriests can spam until it lands. Once landed, it will deal its full damage.

The tradeoff is that it has the same hit chance of non-damage spells like polymorph and fear. Additionally the dots can’t crit. Although the dots still deal so much damage…

I’ve seen Curse of Doom do half it’s supposed damage on mobs with high shadow resist so maybe it’s possible to partially resist damage from applied dots?

I’m not an expert, as Warlock is new to me for classic. Never played one before, but I think Curse of Doom is not really a dot. I think of it as a curse that just does a massive “shadowbolt” at the end of its countdown. Or it could just have a different rule for itself since it can only be applied to NPC’s and not players.

1 Like

I reported this asking if it was bug or not, but didn’t get any response.

The issue comes with the affliction talent which grants “10% chance of spells resist prevention”.

I too noticed that neither binary spell application was ever resisted, nor dots or fear or coil (ll while wearing a 150 shadow resistance gear), nor were DoT damage partially resisted (as in ticks getting some percentage resisted).

I’m not sure if this is working as intended, but currently resistances vs warlocks or shadow priests do not reduce any sort of damage, making them even more powerful. I believe this plays out the same way with the frost mage’s talents, cause I haven’t really noticed much spells being resisted against them.

What I do not know is if this is working as intended or not, but I reported it anyway, although I got not response from blizzard.

i have noticed that if my moonfire gets partially resisted the dot also does far less damage.

this is correct. by the very definition, curse of doom is not a “damage over time” spell. because it only does damage once. the reason it isnt usable in pvp is because it’s coded different to the other “dots” that warlocks use and can crit or be partially resisted (like shadowbolt)

get 375 shadow resist and you will be immune to any shadow damage
you also will never get feared by priests/warlocks

that’s how i enjoyed my life in Arena at start of TBC

You have a higher chance to not be Afflicted by the spell, but once its on you it will run its full course.

Is that possible in classic?

That’s… Really lame.

Corruption and COA already do like 3k+damage.

Edit: I’m pretty dang sure there were partial damage resists for dots in vanilla. The only spells without partial resists should be those with secondary binary effects (frostbolt). Am I wrong or did Blizzard screw up again?

Found this on 2008 wowhead forums explaining resistance mechanics:

forums&topic=41858

“For DoT spells, the partial resistance calculation is applied on each tick.”

Yeah this was during BC but the resist mechanics were the same as vanilla then.

If you can’t partial resist dots blizzard screwed up.

2 Likes

partial resists for dots were added when dots were given the ability to crit. that was when the damage on dots was recoded to apply a crit/resist per tick, instead of on cast.

2 Likes

There are partial resists for DoTs currently in game. That mechanic does work.

The problem is with Warlock and Priest dots belonging to the affliction/shadow school IF they have points in the respective talents which reduces the chance for them to be resisted. When they have points in those talents, most dots won’t be resisted nor partially resisted even with ludicrous amounts of +shadow resistance gear.

1 Like

My Deathcoils and Shadowburns get fully resisted at an extremely high rate in pvp if I don’t throw on Curse of shadows first.

The vast majority of my pvp fights are fully geared rogues with shadow reflectors camping menethil.

Not sure if Shadowburn is binary because of the debuff effect, but deathcoil certainly is.

How many talent points do u have invested in Supression?

1 Like

It’s a destruction spell, not affliction.

Isn’t deathcoil an affliction spell?

It IS a damage over time spell. It does periodic damage once every minute.

Yes, I know that sounds stupid.

It does:

Apply Aura: Periodic Damage
Value: 3199 every 1 minute

While corruption does:

Apply Aura: Periodic Damage
Value: 136 every 3 seconds (SP mod: 0.167)

It tends to behave exactly the same as other DOTs, so don’t believe anyone claiming it can crit or the tick can miss.

1 Like