PvE in shadowlands

Hello everyone,

I am one of the raid leaders who quit BFA. I am happy to say I am enthusiastic about shadowlands but wanted to share some of the pros and cons of PvE content I have heard are coming with shadowlands.

I am extremely happy that the highest ilvl gear comes from the later bosses of Mythic Raiding. This gives Mythic raiders something to strive for and a actual reward for conquering the hardest content.

Advice to go along with the point I applaud above is to not nerf and push lesser guilds through the content. Tune it and leave it. Lesser guilds are there to challenge themselves and many are fine with not full clearing where nerfing only takes away the greatness of those guilds who downed content prenerf.

A negative thing that I honestly have a hard time believing is that masterloot is still not a option. Masterloot and raiding go hand in hand. Please bring this back blizzard. You guys are bringing alot of great things back and I hope you understand how important it is for every guild to have the freedom to run their guilds however they please for better or for worse. This is a fundamental part of WoW communities.

M+ was a great addition to the PvE content. It is sad to see that M+ is ending as we know and knew it to be in legion/bfa. I hope a way to return some kind of benefit to M+ pushing returns so people have a excuse and benefit to pushing keys to crazy levels.

My suggestion for M+ is to give cosmetic gear that can only have a chance to drop at higher key levels. This gives people a reason to push and a reward for doing it consecutively. I would even put multiple sets with prices of it having a chance to drop so it requires lots of high keys to complete a set. Also break points for different sets would be cool too. 20+ set, 25+ set, 30+ set.

I look forward to shadowlands, thank you taking the time to read this. Feel free to comment if you agree or disagree.

Cheers,

Tarnish

Cosmetics and vanity items are boring.

If I challenge myself and succeed at a higher level in M+ I want a character power reward for it.

2 Likes

but then we’re on the treadmill instead of playing for fun.

2 Likes

There has never been an in game incentive for this. It has always been glory and pride. No change there.

3 Likes

I have fun getting more powerful. I don’t have fun looking at another mount or whatever that I will ignore anyways.

I suppose that’s the old school RPG player mentality in me. No player power = don’t care.

but 5man content is where you seek this power from? historically the largest, most complex raids offered most power…

Yes 5 man content, where tanking and healing is generally way more interesting and difficult. If you’re trying to argue that raiding should offer better rewards for those roles (I haven’t played DPS seriously since WOD) because it is more difficult, then I 120% disagree. Raiding design has increasingly moved towards a format that exists for the enjoyment of DPS players, with that enjoyment increasing as things go on farm.

Small flexible group size content with infinite scaling difficulty AND rewards is the future of WoW PvE. There is no reason to have retail be “raid or die” like classic WoW.

For some reason blizzard wants to kill the best thing that has happened to WoW in a long time, M+.

3 Likes

as a matter of fact, I do think raiding should offer better rewards. this is a massively-multiplayer game afterall.

players hated farming visions and those are singleplayer.

Not because it was single player. I think making that assertion is disingenuous at best.

design is limited when balancing against the overbloated class count.

1 Like

If M+ was only ran for gear, people wouldn’t push above the max reward. I call BS. The people who like to push keys, will absolutely still push keys.

1 Like

and I respect those who take on the challenge of obscenely-high M+s.

I am also old enough to remember Cata when 10man equaled 25man and we had a 92% mortality on 25man guilds.

I’m referring to the argument that m+ is going to die because the gear is nerfed (although I absolutely disagree that there’s any real nerf on it considering we’ll still be getting decked out in mythic level rewards for content that isn’t mythic level). I actually agree with a lot of what you were saying.

I’m not entirely sure about the relevance of the 10 man versus 25 man from what back then is though. I recall doing both as well, and honestly if you could clear it in 10m you deserved your loot. It’s easier to organize 10 people, definitely, but some of the encounters were still designed for the utility of 25 because they never tuned things correctly, which is why a lot of 10m world firsts were completed by people geared by 25m loot before they made that difference. 10m was tuned for 8 competent players at the correct gear level while 25m was tuned for around 18. I wouldn’t call any of that WoW’s finest hours.

1 Like

So people wanting to tank should be bored to death forced to raid tank because we want this to be a raid or die game.

So much of this game is structured for the enjoyment of DPS players only, it’s absurd. Just cut the pretense already and replace all tank + healer roles with bots.

I recall enjoying discussing things with you last time I took the time to peruse these forums, but since I’ve come back it’s starting to seem like you’re a bit more of a drama queen than usual. The nerf of loot is happening across the board. You’re being forced to raid next tier just as much as you were forced the raid the past 3. I don’t remember the last time it wasn’t beneficial to raid for any role. I certainly remember having to raid to get trinkets and weapons during 8.2 as those were so good. I recall similar events happening during Crucible for trinkets.

In terms of ilvl, no.

Legion had WF/TF to compensate (among other things) for the base M+ ilvl loot being poor.

BFA season 1-3 had the same thing.

BFA season 4 had 5 ilvl above heroic level with no WF/TF.

SL will have neither WF/TF and the base ilvl will be terrible AND the drop chances will be terrible.

Overall M+ is being turned into “world of weekly chests”. They are straight up telling M+ players that someone can go do a faceroll first boss on heroic mode and get better ilvl loot than someone who times a 15-20. The reason for this logic amounts to “raiding must be king blah blah”.

Translation: The one thing I still enjoy in WoW is being destroyed to maintain the antiquated outdated ideal of “raid or die” of which there is an entire other game (classic) already devoted to it. Maybe this would be fine if the playerbases of raid-preferred and dungeon-preferred players were comparable, but we know damn well they are not even close.

1 Like

i tanked since 2007 thru 2018. your argument is invalid.

Lol. All raids should be locked at a number of attempts and if you don’t down the boss in those amount of attempts your account loses access to said raid. Or are you against making raids hard?

All of this gear drama began with “raiders” being salty that people weren’t forced into their trash content that most “raiders” are getting carried through or take so many weeks to finish they outgear it and it is a total joke. Why are “raiders” so insecure about M+ people having a different path?

They tried it in Icecrown and ToC.
we now know this is not a good suggestion.

Ragnaros, Algalon are also noteworthy examples.

Sure it is. Let raiders put some skin in the game.