Pushing the Limits of Technology

You’re right. But that has been thoroughly acknowledged on this thread at this point.

cross realm isnt classic bro

it does fly, i talked to the CTO about it, we woked out a plan, sent out an email that on the 1st of the month email archiveing would be disabled unless you had a bussiness need, aka legal, an executive, or accounting, because no one else needs to store years worth of emails for any practical reason. We still allowed them to link those PST files after that date but they could no longer save to them. Same with with the databases, yes we have premission to do so because we manage them, if they are constantly breaking because no one wants to remove old data, then yes we can set them to read only, and we have. I have a good working relationship with the CTO, and when we get enough tickets forwarded by desktop about a specific issue that takes me away from what i should be doing, we solve it.

it just shows how disconnected blizzard still is with their customers.

There’s a TREMENDOUS difference between “fixing this problem is challenging, but doable” and “fixing this problem is impossible”. Blizzard has literally $60 BILLION dollars.

NASA is landing humans on the moon, multiple times, in their Artemis program for $7.5 billion.

Don’t tell me Blizzard can’t make a big server with $60 BILLION dollars. Saying so is maliciously false.

2 Likes

The very notion an engineer would come to conclude that a current problem is literally impossible to fix is disgusting. It is either a lie, a statement which stems from incompetence or one that is PR centric.

This is a fixable issue; all engineering problems have a solution in this world. They simply don’t want to invest into fixing this through their end. Make the player pay for it I guess. Obviously a free transfer and blaming the player is a cheap solution. It is perhaps even viable on the long term. But with a 15$ a month subscription fee, you would expect a better response. You deserve a better response and actions on their end which would results which would allow for dynamic resource management, scalability and code improvement.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. Blizzard (should) be totally aware of the limitations of their architecture.

They closed servers, forcing players to flock to already full or near full populations.

While collecting all the transfer money, they could clearly see that the server population was bloating way faster than the server could support and waited until players were stuck in 13k queues to “do” something (which put the ball in the player’s court rather than coming up with a proper solution).

Ultimately this is on Blizzard and was handled incredibly poorly.

1 Like

Bless you sir

That’s one of the silliest things I’ve literally ever seen said on these forums and thats ALOT of competition. Do you guys even think at all before writing this kind of stuff?

Wait… a new challenger has entered the ring…

I bet you are the exact same type of person who screeched at their cromagnon brethren there was no way we could access bone marrow and that there never would be a solution to this problem. Tools dont exist so tools cant be made type of thinking. Now we are building experimental fusion reactors, flying shuttle into space, have datacenters like google and are able to cure some of the deadliest conditions in world history. But you, you say that thinking theres a solution to every problem is one of the dumbest thing you’vr heard. This is either an hyperbole or one of the worst way of thinking according to me. It is stagnant, backward and useless to anybody.

This is a bit much.

Sure, it’s probably possible to replace the database solution with one that will allow more connections at a time. I’m not saying it’s impossible.

However, the time involved is a different question altogether. It would likely take them months to develop an alternative, months during which the queues would only continue to render the game unplayable.

Blizzard absolutely needs to apologize for allowing this situation to develop. Blizzard should offer refunds to anyone who spent money to transfer to the servers affected under the reasonable assumption that Blizzard wouldn’t allow them to transfer there if it would overstress the server. Blizzard should be offering additional incentives (free guild bank moves, free months of playtime, perhaps guild transfer coordination allowing anyone in the guild to freely transfer without having to log on to clear mail) to encourage more people to transfer, and promises that if servers start to die, they will move swiftly to consolidate them again.

But saying that just because something can be fixed, then it should be fixed, and the players shouldn’t have to do anything, is ignoring the fact that Wrath is 17 days away. NASA spent less money than Blizzard has available to them to reach the moon… but it took them more than 17 days to do it.

2 Likes

What I’m trying to highlight here is not that Blizzard technically can throw a fortune at this problem to allow mega servers to exist. The point is that they raised the topic of technological impossibility among many other red herrings as justification to put all the responsibility for this outcome on the players. The best solution in this context need not be technological at all. The true crux of their problem is that any enduring solution to the queues that is acceptable will either require them to spend money or to have unrealized gains in the form of lost paid transfer revenue, and will constitute a tacit acknowledgement that they had the biggest part to play in causing the queues in the first place.

The players are doing something. They are paying.

Would players have been happy with them saying they are going to take completely rework the entire source code for the game that is causing the bottleneck and in 2-3 years a server less version of classic will be out for them to start fresh on?

Or they make all classic cross realm to solve why people pile on mega servers and ditch dying realms like they’ve already done to retail?

Because those are the 2 realistic ways to solve it, and I don’t think the classic community would approve of either.

3 Likes

you think anyone likes queuing?

Im sure it was a great rant but got as far as here and couldnt stop laughing long enough to continue.

I am quite sure it was quite a rant tho

Plus thats just an entirely stupid way to look at anything. Acti-Blizz is worth billions which is the sum of literally dozens of gaming franchises… clearly thats not “Wows” budget. Its like saying “Why didnt they fix New World? Amazon has trillions of dollars!!11!!” Yea bud… but that isnt trillions of New World money and the fact they dont understand that betrays a very naive understanding of the real world.

That’s how much I laughed from your stance on the impossibility for engineering problems to have any solutions.

Thats not what I said but its completely unsurprising your reading skills are on par with your engineering knowledge.

You said

Which is laughable, naive and incorrect. ALL engineering problems DO NOT have solutions. Engineering, like most STEM subjects, is bound by all sorts of natural laws. Some problems just dont have solutions, and will NEVER have solutions barring a radical rewriting of our understanding of modern physics.

Just because you believe it really hard in your feefees doesnt make it true. Science doesnt work like that. It doesnt care about your feelings… Sorry I had to be the one to break that to you. :man_shrugging:

Then convince the rest of classic playerbase to embrace a fully cross realm game.

That’s how this issue gets permanently solved.

No worries about dead or dying realms and not being able to get a group because all servers can group with everyone.

1 Like