Purge of Dalaran Retconned?

In Battle for Azeroth, there has been no mention of Jaina’s warcrime, the ‘Purge of Dalaran’. I was wondering if Blizzard just completely retconned it seeing how Lor’themar, who was formerly outraged at Jaina for slaughtering his people, was quite keen of helping both her and the Alliance… and betray the many forsaken helping keep Silvermoon City safe by holding down the Ghostlands. Not only that, but Saurfang was outraged as well seeing Sylvanas burning down Teldrassil but not at Jaina for murdering innocent blood elves in Dalaran. On top of that, Jaina speaks of changing and yet she has never formerly apologized for murdering those blood elves or done anything to help them.

In Legion, she also attempted to bar the Horde from entering Dalaran to defend Azeroth only for Khadgar force her out. Jaina wanted to protect only the Alliance from the Legion and not the Horde. Yet, all those crimes are not brought back up. All she ever did in BFA was cry to the mother and now is on good terms with the Horde again after committing so many acts of hatred against them.

Sure, you can say that the Horde bombed Theramore, but Theramore was a military target to the Horde just as Camp Taurajo was to the Alliance.

17 Likes

:man_facepalming: no.

56 Likes

Wasn’t just one, my guy.

Also apparently Jaina canonically didn’t actually kill any Blood Elves.

14 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wait. You were serious? Allow me to amend my previous response.

Ahem

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

38 Likes

A blood elf that tries to stop you from freeing Baine mentions it

45 Likes

Oh. I actually forgot about that. But still, it was never brought back up by any of the Horde leaders and not by Lor’themar himself or Jaina. In fact, she is kinda just like “ok.”

Yes. Murdering innocent and non-combatants is defined as a warcrime as set in the Warcrimes novel.

3 Likes

What Jaina did wasn’t a war crime.

What the silver covenant did while Jaina was arresting people could be seen as a war crime.

You could argue Jaina’s actions enabled the Silver covenant, but she herself did no crimes.

As for the rest of your post, just LOL.

23 Likes

The Elves shot first.

A lot of the writing went mostly to saurfang.

It feels like blizz noticed they done messed up and just want to focus on shadowlands lore which I really don’t blame them. Been there myself with some stories I wrote in the past. Too many ideas.

Jaina also is still shown having a lot of guilt when her mom goes to save her.

No. Jaina was walking around Dalaran and actively killing any blood elf she saw. I played the mission. I saw it with my own eyes. Sure, she arrested some, but kill most.

8 Likes

That’s just what I’ve been told, so It’s possible (probable) I’m wrong.

Still I’d hesitate to consider the purge a war crime, and claiming Jaina commited

is laughable.

3 Likes

Looking at the definition of war crime. Jaina’s actions do classify as that since she killed a lot of blood elves that had nothing to do with what happened at Theramore and were non combatants

2 Likes

Just because the Horde has committed warcrimes does not mean you’re now also allowed to commit them. If the world went off that logic, everyone would be dead.

1 Like

I’m all pro-Sunreaver, but I think Bliz mentioned that was a glitch and she was only supposed to be teleporting them

7 Likes

Blizzard has specifically said that was a limitation of the NPC AI. As while the imprison spell was on CD she would resort to casting frost bolts that one shotted the civilians. This was unintended and canonically as she did was teleport everyone she encountered to the violet hold. She did kill the guards of Aethas Sunreaver, but they were seen as enemy combatants.
game mechanic limitations =/= lore

25 Likes

Doesn’t look like a glitch when she is casting fire bolts at people.

2 Likes

Even directly after the purge, Lor’themar mentioned it was Hellscream who got his people killed, not Jaina. He and Jaina mostly made up on the Isle of Thunder after Taran-Zhu yelled at them.

4 Likes

Justifying crimes with crimes is how you destroy a world.

2 Likes

Wasnt a war crime was justified retaliation,now if she flooded org that would be a war crime on par with a mana bomb nuke.

4 Likes