#PullTheRipcord

Hey yall, ya boi is back after a long day of hammering out 8 world quests. Can’t wait for this system to go live and I can hit it hard like I’m doing my 12th grade math midterms all over again. Viva la Ripcord homies.

3 Likes

Right, but this is a difference of opinion. I don’t particularly enjoy this. One preference isn’t provably better except by the number of players who would enjoy it. And you’re not going to get those numbers to back any particular point here.

Ok, but can you say that now in current WoW? Cata was very different in comparison.

I’d bet a good deal of money there are more complex specs for some classes that provide better DPS output, but I don’t have evidence of that in front of me. If you don’t think this is true, I can do some research. But honestly I haven’t been playing much BFA and mostly tank now.

I’ve looked up the ‘trending’ specs and consulted icey-veins and guides. I don’t really see tremendous complexity out of most Flavor specs, especially since they go step-by-step with rotations and literally everything you need to know, including leveling.

…there isn’t much complexity in out of flavor specs either.

1 Like

So then it ultimately would boil down to performance, which means the highest number means easier time.

I can promise you that arcane mage is far simpler than fire mage. Nothing I know of, offhand, is particularly complex right now, but some are clearly easier than others. And depending upon the skill of the player, some can do far better playing the non-FOTM for a particular class if it’s easier.

1 Like

I tried omitting ‘skill’ since that’s an outlier that can’t be really be quantified. You can see how specs perform in Logs and extrapolate information that way. Arcane might be easier to do, but Fire Mages are over-represented by a large margin. which means it outperforms Arcane.

Taking skill out of the equation, most of the time, the DPS that naturally does higher damage has the advantage and the more damage per second the better off you are.

Yes, if you omit variables to achieve your desired conclusion, you can get there. 100% of the time. Good work!

100% of the time it does. But unfortunately, you cannot apply this to all players. Just because a lot of players will go with what some simple table tells them is the best, does not mean they will perform better in what they have selected from that table. Because player skill, it turns out, is a critical variable you should not remove when making these claims and decisions based off their conclusions.

Edit: achieve, not affect.

Okay, how do you quantify skill?

I’m using Logs, and Fire just obliterates Arcane.

You don’t. You account for the fact that skill is a spectrum. And design so those with more skill achieve more, but those with less skill can also enjoy playing. Example:

• The highest skilled players playing fire mages, they get the best DPS.
  • A lower skilled player playing fire mage gets less DPS.
  • Because arcane is easier to execute, the lower skilled player choosing arcane gets higher DPS than when they are playing fire mage, but less than a high skilled player being a fire mage.

Is this normalized for gear/ilevel? Because that’s an indication of player skill. And if you’re not, you’re likely looking at top parses vs top parses of 2 different skill levels.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/24#class=Mage

I did all gear levels since there’s so few parses for Arcane compared to fire. But, if I were to guess if Fire was powerful because of its complexity, then the Median quartile would be lower than the higher quartile of Arcane, which by the looks of it, isn’t the case.

All Bosses

Normalized Scores

Post Nerf 2

:clown_face:

I wasn’t pointing out a specific fight, just in general. I could do per second amounts, but that’s pretty much the same result.

#hashtagsarethestupidestthingtocomeaboutonlineinthepastdecade

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s higher because of it’s complexity. I am saying that they should design it so that’s how it works. And I think that’s the goal of class design as it stands now.

I should also mention that top parses have a heavy selection bias; The best skilled players will often choose the best possible DPS spec, so naturally the numbers will be far higher for that spec.

If, hypothetically, arcane became the ONLY spec available to mages, those high-end players would max out what arcane can do far better than those who prioritize class fantasy or ease of play.

Sure, it doesn’t change the fact that fire is so far ahead of the other two specs that you’re purposely making it harder to kill a boss.

There are guilds that don’t care what you play, and that’s fine.

So I’ll rephrase.

Any mage that is playing arcane/frost is not in a competitive guild and/or doesn’t care about his raid.

They’re playing what they want, not flavor of the month.