PTR PVP gearing changes: Swing and a miss

I will hold my thoughts till PTR has been up a bit

The change so far made pvp slightly better but not really addressing my concern, as a casual pvp player.

My wife and I are pvp players, after dinner and before going to bed, we have 1 hour play time. So 15min queue for a bg, fight for around 20~40 mins, some daily quest, done. That’s all.

We managed or forced to do rbg till 1400+ and ilvl 208 atm, by skip dinner sometimes so we can group with some guildies, yelling kids to shutup when discord is up…had enough.

And there is no way out for us, no rbg, no gear advancement. We will surely be screwed in random bgs.

The thing is, I really really think people like me are not rare in the player base at all! So Blizz just cornored us having no choice but to quit. Why would I pay the sub for lose almost one hour everyday?

2 Likes

Keep bumping these posts to keep the forums flooded, we can’t let this change go live.

2 Likes

This is one of the things that confuses me about these forums. Sometimes people will make posts using logic that point out that there are benefits to even a 6 iLvl gear difference. Not saying that gear is the ONLY factor in deciding fights, but at least A factor.

Then you’ve got folks who are like “lulz if u can’t beat a 226 with a 200 u suk, get gud, u didn’t looz becuz of gear 11111!”

3 Likes

Swing and a miss indeed, sadly.

1 Like

They clueless about their own game… When gearing was simple it was fun…
You hit max level and got decent honor gear pretty easy then you did you 10 wins a week for BIS pvp gear. Bam done simple and you could compete with the best.

Listening to streamers messed this game up so bad. Those players only care about their money flow not the game.

3 Likes

You have to start wondering how a multi billion dollar company cannot seem to find a single dev with a little common sense for pvp changes.

4 Likes

honestly the new scoring system for torghast sounds really cool, but then they are also nerfing our ilvl which will make torghast specifically more difficult for pvpers only. so :woman_facepalming:

Man, I’ve read your posts in this thread. You make a compelling argument for RWF players. But honestly, who cares? I don’t care if those Mythic grinders have a bit of an advantage for the first couple weeks of progression. RWF players feeling compelled to grind out a 233 weapon from PvP doesn’t affect 99.9% of players.

Besides, there’s the valor system now. RWF players in 9.1 will grind out their weapons from M+, stock up on Valor, and upgrade their weapons 12/12 as soon as it’s available.

Basically, help helps, but gear aint everything.

Gear can for sure help swing wins and losses, but also alot of time when you lose there are also many things you could of done better.

but ya 220 vs 227, not the largest difference, but a difference nonetheless, gear will factor in here but not to a huge degree

now something like 207 vs 220, the gear difference is pretty large can have a much larger influence on the match.

What is there to get? Comparing rock, paper, scissors cherry picked bg videos is not an indication of the state of pvp. You admit yourself that the average player is better today than 2006. The average glad player is worlds better than 2006.

We will find out exactly how a fresh 70 character is going to do against a fully maxed glad player with things like stormherald, max arp, 4/4, dst, etc. Spoiler, it’s not going to go well or be all that much different than now.

A 200+ ilvl player can most certainly compete with a 220 player. A 200+ player is going to have a hard time with a 2400+ player. Which is what it takes to be 226+. For a lot more reasons than just gear.

10character

2 Likes

Can a 200 player compete with a 220 player? Sure, just like in a 1000 meter dash a runner can that starts at the start line can compete with someone with 200 meter head start.

Technically the one at the start can win, but it’s going to take a heck more effort to win.

But if we are putting in terms of wow and people who have advantage… the one with the head start is a college level athlete and the one at the start line is a high school freshman.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Blizzard only reads Bloomsday posts to get a feel for what the community is thinking and not posts like this with almost 80 upvotes.

4 Likes

If they have the ability to scale why do they employ this terrible system? I really don’t see the problem with having pvp scale dramatically, i.e. 200 ilvl outside of rated content, in rated content it jumps to 250, while mythic raiding gear is maxed at 235 (the numbers are arbitrary for this, just making a point). This would make pvp gear best in pvp and pve gear best in pve. What’s so hard to figure out about that?

1 Like

I would venture to guess we saw more PVE’ers early in the season as it was the best way to get gear, but right now I would put money on it that your correct. It’s probably by far more PVP’ers that just want the quick gear and don’t want to do 300+ games.

1 Like

I don’t think there was “more PVE’ers” early in the season. I think people just tend to flock to whatever is the quickest/easiest way to gear up your character. Early in the season this was Mythic dungeons. In BFA, this was Mythic dungeons. In Shadlowlands though, once you achieve 1800, (especially early in the season) mythics largely become less desirable.

The general wow community at this point are very much min/maxers. Whether pvp, pve , or both, most players will use whatever system is quickest/easiest to gear…regardless if they enjoy it or not. This is why it’s dangerous for blizzard to use metrics (participation numbers) for mythic dungeons/bg’s/arena alone to determine the health of that system. BFA would tell you mythic dungeons were super popular (not neccessarily the case). Shadowlands (at least in beginning of season) would tell you there was a huge revival in pvp (def not the case)…

1 Like

some small amount of progression is good

two sets with a small gap between them, an mmo needs progression and rewards, the first set must be obtainable with a pretty small grind to reduce entry friction

1 Like

Slightly better then what they have now, just to to perma ban boosters and carry’s and I’d be happy

That is what WoD had.

2 Likes