I have been very interested in the new UI and have been anxious to try it out. I am very happy the PTR now has it! I am loving the changes and new customization. I am a more casual player so some things I won’t have as much opinion on, and I could have missed some things. I don’t usually make my own threads, but I wanted to add my own suggestions and opinions on the changes, and to show what I’d like to add.
I have mentioned a lot of this on the Dragonflight UI Blue post over on GD, but now that I have tested the PTR I added more suggestions and organized my thoughts.
For clarification: I use a laptop, so not the biggest monitor. My screen is 1920 x 1080 and my UI scale currently is 84% on PTR. I reduced it a bit to help make the map and some other things take less space.
- Minimap shapes and resizing.
- Minimap/map coordinates.
- Multiple Map Pins. I use TomTom a lot for multiple destinations to track, it would be nice to be able to use that without an addon.
Larger and more distinct icons on minimap, especially for hunters, since NPC circles blend in with mining/herb nodes. I’d like the icons to be clearer for what is a node or NPC.New mining icons have been added, I assume herbs as well or they will be soon. My only issue with the new icons is the golden mining deposit icon kinda blends in with yellow NPC circles on minimap, the silver ones show up nicely though.
- There are some options missing for Map Tracking that are the live game version.
- The Bar above the minimap that shows my location and time is not centered and it leans more to the right than the map itself. Being able to resize or widen it a bit would be good.
- I’d like Dungeon/Raid green “Eye” placed near the minimap again. Right now it’s hidden below with the micro menu and is hard to find.
Optional snapping to grid and snapping to other elements is needed for UI Edit Mode.Implemented! With some tweaking this feature will be perfect!
- Movable and resizable micro-menu. Perhaps color and transparency options as well. Right now, the size and grey transparent art makes them hard to see.
- Show where the middle of each element is in Edit Mode. It can be hard to tell sometimes. Little boxes/symbols on each of the 4 sides and center of an element like Photoshop and other editing programs use can work.
- Movable/Resizable achievement popup.
- Better sizing for various menus such as Talent window so that it doesn’t take up as much space on smaller screens.
- Options for general color and art scheme of the UI. Such as dark mode, light mode, gold, silver, purple, red, etc.
- More things movable such as XP bar.
Resizing for Special Abilities, Talking Head, etc.Implemented!
Unit Frames and Nameplates:
- Customization for Player/Target frame. Portrait border and shape, Health bar color, etc.
- A different Level display on Player/Unit frames. Right now, the “60” is barely visible. I feel something closer to the old style where there is a small circle or other shape in the bottom corner of the portrait for Level would be better.
- The golden frame border around the new Player portraits (and other things like Bag icons) is too thick to me. It looks a bit fuzzy as well. I’d like the gold lines to be thinner to make it more clean.
- The Resting Z’s on the Player portrait stand out a bit too much for me. This could be something I just have to get used to, but the Z’s going diagonal out of the portrait is a little distracting. The pulsing Z’s on the old UI shows what it needs to and doesn’t grab my attention as much when not necessary.
- New nameplates. The current ones are very old, and sometimes the text color (especially on red enemies) and textures blend in with things behind it.
More action bars, up to 10 is the typical suggestion I see. These can be useful for consumables, mounts, toys, macros, etc. and to track cooldowns and such.3 more bars were added!
- Allow less padding between boxes. 2 padding is still a bit too much sometimes.
- Options for different button shapes and styles.
Consistent action bar names and orientation of the box numbers. Some have reported with certain setups their bar’s #1 box is on the wrong end. This makes it hard to use things like vehicle abilities since your 1 key is not #1 box during that time.Changed but could use more work with default button number orientation.
- Option to fully hide action bars and chat box until you hover/mouseover it. It would really help clean up my UI for most of my gameplay to hide the lesser-used parts until needed. Only having on/off based on combat is not enough.
- Allow the Gryphon/Wyvern art on any bar, and individually on either side. If a player wants the art, but also wants Action Bar 1 and 2 next to each other, the art clips into Bar 2. If this was an option, you could Turn on the Art on Bar 1 Left side, and Bar 2 Right side to make it look like one big bar.
- Customizable drop-down box. Like the Call Pet or Mage’s Teleport spells, it would be cool to be able to make our own drop-down box on the action bar for things like mounts/toys/etc. in stead of taking up multiple action bar spaces.
- The keybind text on action bar spells is sometimes hard to read now that it is smaller.
- Ability to resize and move the bags and backpack bar. Being in the bottom corner makes it overlap any right-aligned bars or elements.
- Ability to see gold that my alts have. Rep and other currencies would also be great.
- A better way to store and use things like hearthstones in stead of using bag space would be nice! A drop-down box could be used here.
- New Bank UI. Similar to how bags are combined now, I’d like all my bank slots to combine into 1 big bag instead of multiple covering my whole screen.
- Item level numbers shown on any gear/weapons I have on character or in my bags, bank, etc. I find it much easier than having to hover on it to see the ilvl. I use the addon ItemLevelDisplay and would love for that to be baseline.
- Symbols on item icons that show if I can or have collected that item. This can be for mounts, toys, battle pets, cosmetic armor, weapons, regular gear appearances. I use Can I Mog It? addon for this and it is very helpful. I’d like for these icons to show on items in bags, bank, other inventories, Boss journals, and on vendors.
- Updated quest log for visual clarity. It is very cluttered now especially with the large headers above quests from Shadowlands such as the campaign (these are useful but take up a lot of space).
- Search function for Quests.
- Ability to sort and filter your quests. Such as by Expansion, PVP, PVE, Raid, Dungeon, Open World, Daily, Weekly, etc.
Customizable Quest Objectives/Tracker for more visual clarity and organization. Movability is also good.Now movable and Height can be changed! More options would be great.
- A better way to show a Quest is finished in your objectives would also be good. Some addons make the text green. Something like that could help the player quickly see it’s done.
- A higher quest limit from 25 quests and a counter of how many you have showing in the Log. I’d say 40-50 is good at least. We have so many daily, weekly, and raid skip quests to do now along with the main quests. I sometimes keep old quests too until I feel like doing it. This would help a lot.
- I say the Chat’s options/settings should be added into Edit Mode. This means the window color, transparency, text colors, check boxes for Channels and text types would be on there. This allows me to easily add my Chat customization to my own Preset Layout that can quickly apply my changes to every character. Making these settings account-wide is another way to make this easier, but having everything in Edit Mode makes it easier to find and change stuff.
- More options and customization for the chat would be very useful.
- Improved timestamp. Right now, it is the same color as the message and it blends together for me. A different color (like grey), more spacing, or some sort of divider between the time and message would be useful.
- More font sizes and types.
- Image Emotes like the forums have, maybe?
Ability to turn off the chat messages saying I have left or joined a channel, especially when traveling across zones. Currently I don’t see a way to do that but I could have missed it.
- Let us leave Trade and Trade (Services) whenever we want. I hate having to go to a rest area to turn it off.
- More visual clarity for important text would be good. Such as Zone-wide announcements or Raid announcements.
- Update the Macro frame. It is outdated and needs a facelift. An icon searcher and perhaps some instructions for common macros would be great!
- Update the Transmog frame. The default is a bit small. I’d also like to be able to show and put on sets that are not finished.
- Update vendor frames. I’d like less pages and more information and slots on each page. This also allows more room to re-buy something you didn’t mean to sell.
- Better Reputation UI especially for Paragon rep. I don’t like how it’s hidden in the bag icon and not a new color of bar like many addons can do. Many tend to make it an ice blue/cyan for Paragon tier (Such as the addon PrettyReps )
- UI updates for the Spell Book. I feel like some stuff gets cluttered in there.
- Perhaps an update to the UI that shows when you are on a multi-seated mount. The transmog yak moves my quests down by a lot, and if the quests frame is moved the mount seat art sits behind the text.
- More functions for Group finder to easily show what roles you need and filter out what you don’t.
- Blacklist of words, phrases, etc. for group finder and chat. I’d like to more easily remove WTS and things like BOE farm groups from cluttering it up.
- New UI for Hunter Stable. Similar to the bag update, it’d be nice to have all 20 pages as one instead of having to click through so many pages to find a pet.
- I’d also like better Hunter Pet icons. Ideally, icons like their Unit frame portrait could help me see exactly what each pet is. At least, updated icon art for each pet family would be nice.
Bring back pet icons and their names for Hunter “Call Pet”, those are missing on the PTR.Fixed on Beta!
- With the addition of the Interact Key (F) in Dragonflight, many players hope this function will be added to activities such as Fishing. Having to click a bobber that changes place each cast is hard for those with accessibility issues such as blindness, motor control issues, arm/hand pain, etc. Being able to Reel In the fishing bobber without clicking would be a very good addition to the game.
- More options for visual clarity, font size, and more consistent sizing of all UI elements is important to make this new UI layout clear to players, even without any accessibility issues, some things are hard to see for me.
- This is mentioned above, but the lower-right Micro Menu/Game Menu, Minimap icons, Minimap Header, and some other things are much too small.
Overall though, this is a massive improvement! I use default UI so this is awesome to have built into the game. I can’t wait to see what new things are added.