PTR Feedback - UI Updates and Suggestions

Hi everyone!
I have been very interested in the new UI and have been anxious to try it out. I am very happy the PTR now has it! I am loving the changes and new customization. I am a more casual player so some things I won’t have as much opinion on, and I could have missed some things. I don’t usually make my own threads, but I wanted to add my own suggestions and opinions on the changes, and to show what I’d like to add.

I have mentioned a lot of this on the Dragonflight UI Blue post over on GD, but now that I have tested the PTR I added more suggestions and organized my thoughts.

For clarification: I use a laptop, so not the biggest monitor. My screen is 1920 x 1080 and my UI scale currently is 84% on PTR. I reduced it a bit to help make the map and some other things take less space.

Map:

• Minimap shapes and resizing.
  • Minimap/map coordinates.
  • Multiple Map Pins. I use TomTom a lot for multiple destinations to track, it would be nice to be able to use that without an addon.
  • Larger and more distinct icons on minimap, especially for hunters, since NPC circles blend in with mining/herb nodes. I’d like the icons to be clearer for what is a node or NPC. :white_check_mark: New mining icons have been added, I assume herbs as well or they will be soon. My only issue with the new icons is the golden mining deposit icon kinda blends in with yellow NPC circles on minimap, the silver ones show up nicely though.
  • There are some options missing for Map Tracking that are the live game version.
  • The Bar above the minimap that shows my location and time is not centered and it leans more to the right than the map itself. Being able to resize or widen it a bit would be good.
  • I’d like Dungeon/Raid green “Eye” placed near the minimap again. Right now it’s hidden below with the micro menu and is hard to find.

Edit Mode:

• Optional snapping to grid and snapping to other elements is needed for UI Edit Mode. :white_check_mark: Implemented! With some tweaking this feature will be perfect!
  • Movable and resizable micro-menu. Perhaps color and transparency options as well. Right now, the size and grey transparent art makes them hard to see.
  • Show where the middle of each element is in Edit Mode. It can be hard to tell sometimes. Little boxes/symbols on each of the 4 sides and center of an element like Photoshop and other editing programs use can work.
  • Movable/Resizable achievement popup.
  • Better sizing for various menus such as Talent window so that it doesn’t take up as much space on smaller screens.
  • Options for general color and art scheme of the UI. Such as dark mode, light mode, gold, silver, purple, red, etc.
  • More things movable such as XP bar.
  • Resizing for Special Abilities, Talking Head, etc. :white_check_mark: Implemented!

Unit Frames and Nameplates:

• Customization for Player/Target frame. Portrait border and shape, Health bar color, etc.
  • A different Level display on Player/Unit frames. Right now, the “60” is barely visible. I feel something closer to the old style where there is a small circle or other shape in the bottom corner of the portrait for Level would be better.
  • The golden frame border around the new Player portraits (and other things like Bag icons) is too thick to me. It looks a bit fuzzy as well. I’d like the gold lines to be thinner to make it more clean.
  • The Resting Z’s on the Player portrait stand out a bit too much for me. This could be something I just have to get used to, but the Z’s going diagonal out of the portrait is a little distracting. The pulsing Z’s on the old UI shows what it needs to and doesn’t grab my attention as much when not necessary.
  • New nameplates. The current ones are very old, and sometimes the text color (especially on red enemies) and textures blend in with things behind it.

Action Bars:

• More action bars, up to 10 is the typical suggestion I see. These can be useful for consumables, mounts, toys, macros, etc. and to track cooldowns and such. :white_check_mark: 3 more bars were added!
  • Allow less padding between boxes. 2 padding is still a bit too much sometimes.
  • Options for different button shapes and styles.
  • Consistent action bar names and orientation of the box numbers. Some have reported with certain setups their bar’s #1 box is on the wrong end. This makes it hard to use things like vehicle abilities since your 1 key is not #1 box during that time. :white_check_mark: Changed but could use more work with default button number orientation.
  • Option to fully hide action bars and chat box until you hover/mouseover it. It would really help clean up my UI for most of my gameplay to hide the lesser-used parts until needed. Only having on/off based on combat is not enough.
  • Allow the Gryphon/Wyvern art on any bar, and individually on either side. If a player wants the art, but also wants Action Bar 1 and 2 next to each other, the art clips into Bar 2. If this was an option, you could Turn on the Art on Bar 1 Left side, and Bar 2 Right side to make it look like one big bar.
  • Customizable drop-down box. Like the Call Pet or Mage’s Teleport spells, it would be cool to be able to make our own drop-down box on the action bar for things like mounts/toys/etc. in stead of taking up multiple action bar spaces.
  • The keybind text on action bar spells is sometimes hard to read now that it is smaller.

Bags/Inventory:

• Ability to resize and move the bags and backpack bar. Being in the bottom corner makes it overlap any right-aligned bars or elements.
  • Ability to see gold that my alts have. Rep and other currencies would also be great.
  • A better way to store and use things like hearthstones in stead of using bag space would be nice! A drop-down box could be used here.
  • New Bank UI. Similar to how bags are combined now, I’d like all my bank slots to combine into 1 big bag instead of multiple covering my whole screen.
  • Item level numbers shown on any gear/weapons I have on character or in my bags, bank, etc. I find it much easier than having to hover on it to see the ilvl. I use the addon ItemLevelDisplay and would love for that to be baseline.
  • Symbols on item icons that show if I can or have collected that item. This can be for mounts, toys, battle pets, cosmetic armor, weapons, regular gear appearances. I use Can I Mog It? addon for this and it is very helpful. I’d like for these icons to show on items in bags, bank, other inventories, Boss journals, and on vendors.

Quest Log:

• Updated quest log for visual clarity. It is very cluttered now especially with the large headers above quests from Shadowlands such as the campaign (these are useful but take up a lot of space).
  • Search function for Quests.
  • Ability to sort and filter your quests. Such as by Expansion, PVP, PVE, Raid, Dungeon, Open World, Daily, Weekly, etc.
  • Customizable Quest Objectives/Tracker for more visual clarity and organization. Movability is also good. :white_check_mark: Now movable and Height can be changed! More options would be great.
  • A better way to show a Quest is finished in your objectives would also be good. Some addons make the text green. Something like that could help the player quickly see it’s done.
  • A higher quest limit from 25 quests and a counter of how many you have showing in the Log. I’d say 40-50 is good at least. We have so many daily, weekly, and raid skip quests to do now along with the main quests. I sometimes keep old quests too until I feel like doing it. This would help a lot.

Chat:

• I say the Chat’s options/settings should be added into Edit Mode. This means the window color, transparency, text colors, check boxes for Channels and text types would be on there. This allows me to easily add my Chat customization to my own Preset Layout that can quickly apply my changes to every character. Making these settings account-wide is another way to make this easier, but having everything in Edit Mode makes it easier to find and change stuff.
  • More options and customization for the chat would be very useful.
  • Improved timestamp. Right now, it is the same color as the message and it blends together for me. A different color (like grey), more spacing, or some sort of divider between the time and message would be useful.
  • More font sizes and types.
  • Image Emotes like the forums have, maybe?
    Ability to turn off the chat messages saying I have left or joined a channel, especially when traveling across zones. Currently I don’t see a way to do that but I could have missed it.
  • Let us leave Trade and Trade (Services) whenever we want. I hate having to go to a rest area to turn it off.
  • More visual clarity for important text would be good. Such as Zone-wide announcements or Raid announcements.

Other Frames:

• Update the Macro frame. It is outdated and needs a facelift. An icon searcher and perhaps some instructions for common macros would be great!
  • Update the Transmog frame. The default is a bit small. I’d also like to be able to show and put on sets that are not finished.
  • Update vendor frames. I’d like less pages and more information and slots on each page. This also allows more room to re-buy something you didn’t mean to sell.
  • Better Reputation UI especially for Paragon rep. I don’t like how it’s hidden in the bag icon and not a new color of bar like many addons can do. Many tend to make it an ice blue/cyan for Paragon tier (Such as the addon PrettyReps )
  • UI updates for the Spell Book. I feel like some stuff gets cluttered in there.
  • Perhaps an update to the UI that shows when you are on a multi-seated mount. The transmog yak moves my quests down by a lot, and if the quests frame is moved the mount seat art sits behind the text.

Group Finder:

• More functions for Group finder to easily show what roles you need and filter out what you don’t.
  • Blacklist of words, phrases, etc. for group finder and chat. I’d like to more easily remove WTS and things like BOE farm groups from cluttering it up.

Hunters:

• New UI for Hunter Stable. Similar to the bag update, it’d be nice to have all 20 pages as one instead of having to click through so many pages to find a pet.
  • I’d also like better Hunter Pet icons. Ideally, icons like their Unit frame portrait could help me see exactly what each pet is. At least, updated icon art for each pet family would be nice.
  • Bring back pet icons and their names for Hunter “Call Pet”, those are missing on the PTR. :white_check_mark: Fixed on Beta!

Accessibility:

• With the addition of the Interact Key (F) in Dragonflight, many players hope this function will be added to activities such as Fishing. Having to click a bobber that changes place each cast is hard for those with accessibility issues such as blindness, motor control issues, arm/hand pain, etc. Being able to Reel In the fishing bobber without clicking would be a very good addition to the game.
  • More options for visual clarity, font size, and more consistent sizing of all UI elements is important to make this new UI layout clear to players, even without any accessibility issues, some things are hard to see for me.
  • This is mentioned above, but the lower-right Micro Menu/Game Menu, Minimap icons, Minimap Header, and some other things are much too small.

Overall though, this is a massive improvement! I use default UI so this is awesome to have built into the game. I can’t wait to see what new things are added. :dracthyr_heart:

12 Likes

This week’s PTR build (Sep 13) added some new stuff.

• The new Reputation and XP bars look good! My only worry is they are a bit small. Allowing movability and resizing would help players customize it to be readable and not in the way.
  • The new Wyvern art looks great. I wish I could use it but my current UI makes the right-side art clip with another action bar. Allowing every bar to enable Art and check on/off each end could fix this.

Here is my setup and the issue the art causes. If I could add a wyvern on the far right side, where my fishing spell is, I could use it without it covering things as easy.

Bug: Hunter Call Pet shows no pets at all for me now this week. When I click it, the expanding part doesn’t work, so I can’t select a pet. It does work in my Spell Book though.

5 Likes

Somewhat of a bug:

• The text on cast bars is a bit low. Moving the text up a pixel or two will make it more centered from top to bottom. Right now, it is barely inside the box on the bottom. As a typography student, this is bothering me! :tired_face:

Imgur

Some other parts of the UI also has kinda low positioned text, I hope they get ironed out and centered everywhere or more room is added on the UI to accommodate.

1 Like

How about restoring the bottom-right buttons to the way they are on Live? The Live buttons don’t take up that much room and they are a lot easier to see. As they are now, I have to mouse-over them to see which one I want.

4 Likes

Agreed. A visual update is good but the new one is impossible to easily read and each icon is too similar. The larger size and varied colors of the old version is much easier to use.

3 Likes

Cast timer option for the new cast bars would be nice, either overlayed or above or below them

1 Like

Does anyone else’s UI randomly change this, even after you save a loadout?

@blizzarddevs
Read the op please he covers alot that would be good and my biggest gripes the Padding with the buttons smallest (2)? and more action bars upwards of 10
Elvui has 10 think domino and bartender give you 10 bars as well.

But rest i think would be great as well.

Even if some of it gets implemented at a later date action bars and padding are a no brainer fix

Reading though the post im sure some are also some no brainer fixes as well

4 Likes

My wishlist for UI Options and Edit mode polishing:

• make Tooltip moveable - My #1 wish!
  • make Bags and Micro-menu moveable - #2 wish
  • Re: LFG “Eye” - I disagree with the OP - I LIKE the new position - looks good!
  • make Target Frame updated just like player frame
    - make Target Castbar moveable too
  • Add Class Colors to Tooltip option

Less important wishes:

• put Auto Loot option back in Controls section of Gameplay
  • In Quick Keybind Mode let me keybind Mousewheel Up and Mousewheel Down
  • Add a few different font style options to Chat and to Action Bar keybindings - and let us use BOLD as an option too!
4 Likes

Text color is a problem for a lot of people. Some who are color blind cannot see certain hues at all or even tell different colors apart from one another.

Personally, I have a problem with being able to see red text. I would much rather be able to adjust text color so that I can actually read what it says. As it is now, I can tell enemy npcs or mobs because their names are red, but when I look at something in a popup that has red text, I cannot read it, I only know that its red in color.

I personally have light sensitivity in my sight. Much of which has been brought on by aging, but its not as bad as my eldest son’s where he was forced to wear sun glasses even at night. More than likely this is possibly a genetic thing that runs in the family, but still, it can be debilitating if you don’t have the ability to adjust the lighting (or color of text) so you can actually read what is written.

2 Likes

I wonder why Blizzard is having such a hard time doing this kind of stuff when independent Addons can do this stuff. I wonder how far into their own code they have to go to edit or implement much of this without massively messing up something else.

1 Like

With today’s build, I see the enemy unit frames were updated.

The devs state in the patch notes: “We have moved away from the silver dragon border for rare mobs and instead will rely on using an icon.”

I, and I’m sure many others, really feel this is a bad change. Not only has the silver dragon been a staple of WoW’s UI for years, the new icon approach is less legible and makes little sense.
I took an image from wowhead showing the new gold dragon (which looks pretty good btw!) and I edited it to be silver and bronze.

I assume that perhaps the devs wanted to not use silver because the UI has a lot of gold elements but silver looks fine with it. It does not take away from the overall feel at all for me.

I really hope that the decision to only use an icon and not the iconic Silver Dragon frame is reversed. Even with my basic change of the hue/saturation, it looks good as silver!

6 Likes

I wish they decided on the other way around… Elites are pretty common so use the skull icon for them instead, and leave the rares and rare elites to use the dragon and the winged dragon as well

1 Like

I was thinking it would be handy to be able to shift click specific talents to link into chat. Not a big deal but I had tried earlier and couldn’t do it.

Also, I’d like to agree with those that I want the silver dragon back. It’s another minor silly thing but… iconic.

4 Likes

The silver dragon for rare enemies definitely needs to come back. Not a fan of the new icon and I much prefer what Zaydin posted earlier.

5 Likes

Option for class-colored hp bars on the target(especially) and player frames.

1 Like

New UI is moving in a great direction, keep up the good work!

My biggest wish-list items now:

1. Tooltip - class color option
  2. Bags - auto vendor option AND auto-repair option
  3. Font options - for both Chat AND names/nameplates
  4. Bag bar and Micro-menu - make 'em moveable!

Lookin’ good all!

2 Likes

Add a dedicated bar for mounts with a random favourites mount button to the wish list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve messed around with the UI on the Pre-patch PTR and I don’t really like it. I get that some people want to be able to move their frames to what they want and the like, but to me it seems very minimalist and I want the option to keep the layout and style of what we currently have in Shadowlands. Trying to recreate that style with the new UI tools just doesn’t have the same feel.

3 Likes

I want to echo some of these notes about color blindness. I’ve done a lot of professional work designing interfaces usable for various color blindness types and it only ever helps to have these things added in.

I would love for more colored text to be displayed with icons and shapes to differentiate things further. Color is good, but color and shape is better.

2 Likes