ProTips: Leading a Guild

Hello, my name is Kornbredkhan and I am the former Guild Master of Order of the Righteous, Order of the RAOK, and For the RAOK.

Three years ago I came to Dalaran with the intention of creating a guild that would promote positivity, kindness, love, honor, and unity. With great success my guild took off, we quickly became the largest guild on the server, dedicating its time to helping others, and hopefully inspiring others to do the same. Coming form a background of elitist raiding, and pvp, I wanted to create an environment that did whatever it could to stand against that level of toxicity, and hatred. Often I saw other players belittling others over how they performed, what possessions they owned, and simply for being new. I wanted to fight against that level of toxicity, and so I attempted to do so.
Order of the Righteous did exactly that, but as time went on, It wasn’t the guild that it started off as, In-fact it slowly became exactly what it was aiming to fight against, Toxic. You may ask how? The people within the guild weren’t the issue, but much of the blame was on me. As time passed, I let ego get to my head, “I am the greatest GM in the game, I have the greatest guild, this guild has the greatest purpose. We are the #1 Guild on the server” I actively denounced other guilds, communities, and people as being toxic, simply because they chose hardcore raiding and pvp. I assumed that they were elitist because of different choices on how to play the game or how they viewed the RAOK. In my subjective definition, an elitist is an individual who is basically a bully, and that is what I had become. I had adopted an “Us against them” mentality, but little did I know, that was my vice, and contradicted the very message that I was attempting to push out.
I remember I had many guild mates that were former officers, friends, and guildies that were leaving the guild constantly. While It is important to know that people come and go, It is also important to figure out why. My why, was because of ego, paranoia, and insecurities.

As Seneca would put it, “He who indulges empty fears earns himself real fears.” Paranoia in an individual can lead to that person creating real fears, and that is what I had created for myself. While any good GM will do anything to protect their guild, I had let that get to my head. When people left I quickly assumed that they had an ill-will against the guild, and the RAOK community that we were trying to promote. Their disagreements in trade chat were taken as attacks on us, and my ego did not let me see the constructive criticism they were painting me with. While there were many bad eggs, some of them were great people, that brought light to the guild, they made it a better place, and created the happy environment that it was meant to be. My ego, and poor leadership led me to forget the limitations of my power, thus leading to people leaving my guild. “A smart man or woman must regularly remind themselves of limits of their power and reach. Entitlement assumes this is mine, I’ve earned it.” - Ryan Holiday

“Whatever we do, instead of pretending we are living some great story, we must remain focused on the execution and the executing of excellence. We must shun the false crowns (titles, destiny, and great visions of our future) and work on what got us here. Because that’s the only thing that will keep us here.” - Ryan Holiday Be in love with the work, not the vision. I was constantly reminded by my fellow guildies, “You are X, you are Y, you are Z.” Such compliments consumed me, and led me to becoming egotistical, amongst other factors that led to it. Make sure when leading a guild that you do not allow titles to consume you, be humble, and listen to your officers-allow them praise, and try to hear them out. Napoleon Bonaparte often would treat his officers / men as subjects, rather than equals, which is one thing that contributed to his downfall. The very people he was attempting to impress, were the people that worked against him. Another great fault was that I was blind to the words of my own officers, and would not hear them out, which led to their disgust of my leadership, thus many leaving thereafter. If you want to have a successful guild, remember to keep unpretentiousness as your man weapon. (Key = Humble).

The Art of the War by Sun Tzu is a profound manual that can be used for good, and for evil. Today it is actively used in business, marketing, in militaries, video games, and much more. I highly recommend anyone adopting many of Sun Tzu’s teachings, and using them to better oneself, and to protect others. “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” - Sun Tzu. One of the most egotistical things that I did against many former guild mates, and also people that would actively talk smack about the guild was to paint them as the enemy, an enemy of the guild. Though not all of these people were “enemies” of the guild (Some may have been), but most were attempting to provide constructive criticism, or simply state the truth: “The Guild Master is egotistical, he’s the bad egg, but the guild is full of great people.” That much is very accurate. You can’t really blame them for that, they were attempting to watch out for their fellow players, and that Is honorable. Though my pride led me to assume that I had to fight against these “Elitists” because I had to defend the newer players, but in reality, I failed to realize one important thing: My eagerness to fight, instead of listen, made me just as elitist as those I was attempting to fight against.

The key to leading a guild is to remain humble, to listen, and to not flaunt what you may have. Another problem that I had was that I had become extremely materialistic (I am now a minimalist). Like others I attempted to gain as much as I could in the game. Be it gold, or items. I heavily pursued the Auction House and made millions of gold, and flaunted it daily. Being rich is fine, but don’t let that get to your head. Don’t let possessions make you a different person, because we should all be treated equally.

My guild fell apart due to a few reasons: I had gotten hacked and people thought I was stealing gold (I’ve never stolen anything from anyone), I let ego consume me to a point that pissed off all my officers, and I wasn’t being a very nice person (I had ignored much of what they were saying). + I had become selfish.

In the end, after losing my guild-I feel like I’ve accomplished one thing. I’ve regained myself, and realized that I am a nobody. Who I am, and what I did means little, because now the mantle has been passed down to a newer generation of players, people that have adopted the RAOK (Random acts of Kindness) and will do what they can to pass it on.

If you’re going to lead a guild, or play the game, always remember: Ego is your biggest enemy, never let it get to your head, or you may too suffer the same fate as I. (Amor Fati)

As for former guildies, officers, and players: I apologize for being a douche.

Protip #2:
I will be adding pro-tips as time goes on with hopes that a lot of newer players can adopt some of these lessons.

When leading a guild it is important to always remain levelheaded, to remain calm, and to understand that sometimes people will attend to intentionally upset you. Remember, you do not have control over the external factors, but what you do have control over is your own mind. When leading a guild it is important to always remain levelheaded, to remain calm, and to understand that sometimes people will attend to intentionally upset you. Remember, you do not have control over the external factors, but what you do have control over is your own mind, and that is the only thing that you can truly control. How we react to things that happen can make a very big difference, I remember when I first got hacked I reacted like I lost everything. My reaction Spohnover is your own mind, and that is the only thing that you can truly control. How we react to things that happen can make a very big difference, I remember when I first got hacked I reacted like I lost everything (because I did). My reaction sent a chain of fact, I made people anxious, uneasy, and many wanted to quit the guild because of it. Many of these people reacted normally, and it was within their right to do so. The philosopher King Marcus Aurelius once stated: “You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this and you will find strength.” Often times we get upset at other people, or we have strong disagreements with specific people that may disrupt our day. We have the power to change our emotions as we fit, and we have the power to change our minds. Sometimes we get upset at other people, or we have strong disagreements with specific people that may disrupt our day. We have the power to change our emotions as we fit, and we have the power to change our minds. We can always control our impulses, and remain calm and levelheaded. It is important as a Guild Master to remain calm, do not let anything disturb you. Do not seek out revenge, do not fight back, but just keep doing the right thing, play the game, enjoy, have fun, make people laugh, and help others. Ultimately that should be your main goal anyway, there is never a need to bring down others, even if they’re doing you wrong.
“The mind becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.” - Marcus Aurelius.
When we fixate ourselves on the negative events, or people in our lives we can never overcome them. It is important to remain focused on what really matters to you, your purpose.
As a Guild Master you will have many difficulties, stressors, and climatic events that bring about turmoil to the guild. Remember to be calm, and promote whatever your purpose is, but stray from ego.

Although in my earlier post I talked about paranoia, this doesn’t mean you can’t be cautious and protect your guild. Here are some steps you can take to protect your guild, and mind you-this is something you should be doing anyway, because It can happen to anyone, and I wouldn’t want this to happen to others.

1. Lock down the guild bank (Make it so that certain ranks can pull out certain items / gold).

2. Do not allow anyone to kick people but you, but instead make a time out rank. I remember a few years ago I had a guild and I logged on to see that someone kicked out all my members, it’s important to keep disability only to yourself. In this way you can discuss with your officers, and figure out solutions. Kicking someone out should be the last thing you do, you should always try to work things out. Remember to be levelheaded, I remember a few years ago I had a guild and I logged on to see that someone kicked out all my members, it’s important to keep this ability only to yourself. In this way you can discuss with your officers, and figure out solutions. Kicking someone out should be the last thing you do, you should always try to work things out. Remember to be levelheaded, and calm.

3. Certain guild tabs should be just for you and your officers. The other day one of my friends that made a new guild, had someone login and steal everything, and then quit. It’s important to safeguard your belongings, because blizzard won’t return them to you. If you give someone permission in the guild bank, they won’t help you. The other day one of my friends that made a new guild, had someone login and steal everything, and then quit. It’s important to safeguard your belongings, because blizzard won’t return them to you. If you give someone permission in the guild bank, they won’t help you. You gave them permission as the guild master.

One of the biggest values that I promoted within my guild, was the value of unity. Unity brings people together, and allows people to socialize. One of the biggest things that I look for in a guild, is the aspect of socializing. Most people do not socialize, when you logon no one greets you. If you want to create a friendly atmosphere, make sure people are socializing. In order to do so, you need to bring people together. Bringing people together will make people socialize, and interact with one another. You can do this in various ways:

1. Guild Events
  2. Help people / learning or teaching them.
  3. Giveaways
  4. Discussions like, “Does Pineapple go on Pizza, is cereal a soup?”
  5. Meetings

Things like this will always go a long way. it will get people to start socializing in your community.

Considering you were a douche for at least the year I’d known of you (less than a year of being in the guild because of you)
No. You are still the douchiest douchebag I have ever known.
Why anyone would follow these tips is beyond me as you simply had the guild and then basically made big bank profit after kicking everyone out.
Yeah no.
That is not how one should lead a guild.
That is how one ends up being the douchiest douchebag in history.

I gave out all the gold in the guild bank.

This post was written and posted by a douchebag, arrogant jacka$$

I was in this guild when I got back into WoW for the first time in years, and while you guys helped me tremendously when I was with you before i transferred servers, I jumped ship when I noticed more and more drama in the guild leaking out into the server as a whole. I don’t know what happened with you guys and I missed the guild lots at a few points, but maybe it’s for the better that the guild broke.

Its good that you did mate, you avoided all the crap storm that would follow later. Though you took with you something important, you took the RAOK. No matter what kind of drama, no matter what people say about the “he said, she said, they did, etc…” You’ve learned that by helping people, you can inspire much needed positivity in the game.

I agree, I am happy that it did. It was a headache dealing with lots of the drama, the people, and the nonsense. What you miss you can promote in game in your own circle, and inspire positivity in your own circle. :slight_smile: You do not need a guild to recreate the same likeliness as Order of the Righteous.