Prot warriors are defenseless in open world

How does it make sense for a tank to be defenseless in any scenario?

Wall Of Text Crits you for 100901929
[You Die]

But more seriously

You need a group? You got a group. Those DPS are gonna basically be begging you to take them to things. On almost every classic server (hell even in retail) tanks get instant PVE content. In Classic, tanks are weak in PVP
 Tank isn’t a PVP role. A lot of what you DO is allocated to threat management and mitigation against mobs. If you treat a rogue like a boss mob, it’ll take him a long time to kill you compared to other classes, but he will probably kill you because your offensive capability is pretty low with a sword and board.

Now, switch to arms with a big two hander and you can crush. Do what a warrior is supposed to do and run with a healer and you’re going to absolutely destroy everything in your wake, especially if that healer is a paladin. Warriors in PVP oriented specs are absolute beasts but they are somewhat group dependant.

That’s just reality in classic.

They’re not going to balance classic. Even if it made the game better, it defeats the purpose of what they’re going for and they’d lose more people than they made happy. They’ve stated in many different places that this is just the reality of how classic will be. The only way they’d make a change is if they discovered something in the game didn’t match up with how it is on the base vanilla client they use as their standard setter. Your only options are to get better, suck it up, or quit. If you don’t like that, classic probably isn’t for you. Don’t play it - I don’t. I think retail has much more compelling gameplay with incredible class balance by comparison, and that’s important to me, so
I play retail. I want the developers to fix problems that are identified with the game and actively attempt to make it better
so I play retail.

1 Like

This isn’t even a balance issue
 why should prot warriors be ‘good’ in PVP? because some one wants prot warriors to be good in pvp? It doesn’t make sense tbh. Arms is good in PVP in classic, it’s beastly in classic actually. Fury isn’t bad but can’t hold a candle to arms until you get really good gear and then an equally geared arms will still be better in pvp.

For classic:
Arms - PVP
Prot - PVE/Tanking
Fury - PVE/DPS

And they’re some of the best in each of those roles. Prot and fury/prot hybrids are the best tanks in every tier for the most part. Fury Warriors are top tier DPS in almost all high end PVE content, and Arms warriors wreck faces in PVP.

Yeah, they all need healers in every one of of those roles, but it’s a MMorpg, you shouldn’t be surprised by that.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I’d be fine with numerous specs not being pvp viable in retail, including my own (fury). As long as Arms is good for pvp, the other warrior specs can get roflstomped and its mostly alright imo.

It just doesn’t matter though on this issue. They will not make balance changes to classic Even if you were wrong, and it was stupid that prot couldn’t smash anyone they wanted, it would be irrelevant. There are outright broken and borderline useless classes in classic, to hell with specs. Its a feature not a bug. If someone doesn’t like that (I don’t) then they should play retail.

I think we’re on the same side, I just dont’ think there are broken ‘classes’ Hell, Idon’t even think there are broken specs. Every spec, for the most part, as at least 1 spot that they’re viable. Obviously there are specs that aren’t “meta” but that doesn’t matter.

I agree for the foreseeable future, we won’t see balance in classic. I personally hope they leave some museum servers and do a classic plus thing where they dont’ just recycle old content and try to keep the vanilla feel but ‘improve’ it.

Warriors suck in Classic and Retail without 4 healers humping them.

I can manage to survive, even with my low item level, what I do is to have the most shield/leech/increase maximum health essence and azerite traits as possible.

To be even more efficient, try killing mobs to get a VR proc so you can survive longer, I managed to survive 2v1 with this.

EDIT : I realized you were talking about Prot Warr in Classic, my bad.

If you mean in retail and doing PvE (ie. not doing world PvP):

• you’re a tank so you take way less damage, best way to stay alive is to prevent damage
  • keep up ignore pain in any sustained fight
  • any multi-target situation means you have a victory rush for a periodic big heal
  • spec into impending victory if you want more dependable self-healing
  • save any items with ‘leech’ tertiary stat and equip them when you’re solo
  • if you think you’ll be taking decent damage for a a sustained period of time without victory rush availability then start rotating your defensive cooldowns
  • stack healing potions and chug them, the cheaper ‘coastal healing potion’ are virtually worthless now with ‘abyssal’ variety now and herb picking ‘siren sting’ in stacks is incredibly easy

Most of these points apply to a group dungeon/raid situation as well. Again common sense.

No one will know what he meant cause he’s one of the countless thread makers that instantly buzz off.

I beat a dps war in a duel wearing defensive gear

No
never
and I mean NEVER take impending victory while in prot. This means you miss out on the massive haste boost provided by into the fray, this smooths out our rotation and makes for better gameplay.

Pleas don’t take this advice

He says open world. If you are benefitting noticeably from ‘into the fray’ in the open world that means you’re not fighting anything that could kill you (assuming PvE, not PvP) because multi-target means something will die quick for you to victory rush.

Therefore you are fighting something for a while where you can’t depend on victory rush. If the damage intake is too much to be handle by IP, leech, defensives, essences, etc. that means you need something else. That something else would be impending victory.

No, again you will only be cheating yourself by taking IV

With your logic open world vs one enemy the better talent would be punish as the 20% Dmg increase will kill ur target faster

Just a quote on impending victory from an expert

“ impending victory is not competitive from a damage or survivability standpoint when compared to the other two talents. Its niche use as a reactive heal will rarely turn out to be useful.”

Alright then stack all the leech and healing gear (traits, essences, etc.) you have, pretend you’re tanking a raid with no external healing to help you, and hope your proper play kills the target before it kills you.

This is again assuming that we’re talking about PvE and the thing you are fighting never brings any small friends along, because that means a chance for VR and this whole conversation is pointless.

Yes, as a prot warrior you are going to have a bad time trying to solo pvp.
But in a team
Oh yeah! You make the opposite faction easy kills for your team.
But you gotta have a team of people that know what they are doing, not a bunch of sh**ters

I currently run 3x blood sport and every time I hit IP it gives me around 4-6% leech. Probably heals more than taking IV

Again IV has never been usefull