Prot troubles

New prot warrior here and just hit 60. I’ve found it very difficult, even while leveling in normal dungeons, to get threat in AoE situations in particular. I hit thunderclap… and then wait for it to come back and hit it again. I use revenge procs and shield slam procs and use my rage for shield block or ignore pain. I’m obviously doing something wrong because it’s frustrating as I struggle to get aggro.

Tips?

Grab Reprisal legendary. If you are safe and not taking unhealable damage, feel free to spend rage on Revenge. Use Ravager too, as much as I think it is a dumb ability. Do your best to never rely on Taunt as a tank.

Also, Prot Warrior is not a reactive tank, it is pro active. Last Stand is something you need to be comfortable with and use liberally on pulls. Don’t wait until you are in trouble, use it on pull. Now you have Shield Block for 15 seconds and the rage can get dumped into Revenge or IP.

1 Like

Its really hard to keep agro when you are undergear,dont have damage cds and the overgear dps go ham on pull.

Just spam taunts, weave your single target abilities on different mobs while using your aoe stuff. Can’t really do much until you get more gear. You could ask your dps to wait a few secs before they go in, so you have time to build threat.

Keep praticing and grinding gear buddy, it will get better.

Appreciate the replies. I suspected my low gear had a thing or two to do with it.

You might want to mention with advice like this that last stand only gives shield block with a talent lol

3 Likes

I keep forgetting people don’t run Bolster by default now, fair enough.

1 Like