Prot paladin - which covenant?

Hello fellow paladins,

I am doing the big step and main for the first time a tank since vanilla.
I’m stuck between prot paladin and vengeance DH.

For my prot paladin I’m torn between Kyrian and night fae.

Obviously Kyrian for aesthetic reason… and for the night fae I really like the buffing aspect of the ability.

I will be doing mostly M+… and was wondering if you could help me chose my convenant based on these 2 and also why this one would be better over the other one

Many thanks!

I mostly do mythic+ and I’m going Kyrian. As you said it has the best aesthetics for paladins. Most importantly though is that Divine Toll is going to be massively awesome in aoe, 5 shields each hitting up to 5 targets (with the talent), that’s 25 hits of divine shield! The only downside is that summon steward ability doesn’t do much for paladins since we can already remove most of those effects.

1 Like

Here’s an excellent read discussing all classes and specs’, but there are a good amount of prot paladins giving feedback that may be useful to you.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenants-and-your-spec-a-survey/616438

1 Like

I’m going with Night Fae. I won’t miss the fan of shields, especially for its uselessness on ST. I’m pretty stoked to come up with strategies which will include proper use of the blessings and the interrupt soul bind seems to be pretty overpowered for prot paladins.

1 Like

I think necrolords will give the best uptime for SotR. Which we are sorely lacking. But if I had to pick between the two you suggest I would go Night Fae for the damage.

1 Like

100% Venthyr is best for lore. Confessions, absolving sin etc. That is a Pally wet dream.

Why go Necro when you could just use the Judgment Legendary.
If all you want is mitigation that leggo will shine brighter than anything else.
Don’t believe… just watch Rextroy solo M Theater of Pain.

Of note - I was for this leggo on Beta when it had a 60% proc rate. Was soooo OP, curious to why it didnt get that much attention.

I picked Necrolord not for the Covenant abilities but for the Soulbinds and the Transmog. Vanquisher’s Hammer deals a lot of ST damage though.

As for the Soulbinds from Necro, have a look at Lead by Example from Emeni and Forgeborne Reveries and Serrated Spaulders from Heirmir or Ultimate Form from Marileth to name a few.

I don’t find Divine Toll particularly great as I’ve used it on mobs fairly close together and it can hit only 1 or I cast Avenger’s Shield on a mob on the far right and cast Divine Toll on the far left, but it hits all the mobs I cast my Avenger’s Shield on and not to group and the mob I was targeting it for. I do wish the Steward did more or that the Vial was at least as good as a Health stone.