Prot Paladin vs feral druid

Wrong. Paladin will be just fine for tanking nearly any content. And most raids will want an aoe tank anyway.

Unless you mean they won’t have raid spots because there are too many. Which might happen.

Agreed. Redoubt, Ret Aura, and a Little Spellpower go a long way for tanking 5-mans as a Paladin; even if you aren’t Prot. I’m Holy/Prot on my Paladin and do just fine. With Holy Shock and Judgement, I have good snap single target aggro.

Ok broski. I’m just telling you how it is. Live your dreams if you want

If you’re saying there will be too many competing for raid spots that might be true but as far as being capable of tanking raid content they do just fine.

Yeah, we’ve usually had 5 or more either mages or warriors every ZG I’ve been in, so it works.

I guess the point that I’m trying to emphasize isn’t threat, but rather dmg mitigation. Paladins aren’t as tanky as warriors, and without being specc’ed into some of the talents from prot, you’re going to be taking a lot of damage.

Having healers who are overgeared for the content you’re running can make up for that, and in that case, I suppose you’re right that it’s only really about holding threat (but then, even if you don’t, your healers will probably be able to keep people up anyway).

Yeah, tell that to Hakkar. :wink:

They can tank most raid bosses. They’re gonna have a hard time with Archi, Nightbane, Illidan, KT etc. But yea that is mostly my point. You’re seeing it right now on Pservers. Everyone and their mom wants to be a prot pally which is amazing for everyone running 5 mans and heroics. But then they get to raids and realize that you can’t run a raid with 2-3 prot pallies (to be fair, its not ideal to stack 2-3 of any tank in TBC, but if you were going to stack any of them Prot pallies are the worst choice.)

Hakkar is tough honestly, I usually put my 2h on if I’m trying to compete for threat for the MC but if I get controlled I’m easily 1shotting people before the CC goes out lol. I do try to wear more mit gear for him though.

1 Like

Consecration, retribution aura, and SoR should be more than fine to hold threat up until level 60 or so. At that point most will dungeon grind so yeah may as well respec prot at that point.

How much extra damage do they do vs. Undead? Or is there AOE damage on par with Frost Mage?

The answer is bear.

Not as good as pally at AOE tanking but feels better than a warrior.
Can actually do a little DPS when not tanking.

and most importantly

you can turn into a bird and flap around

2 Likes

It’s not ‘on par’ with a Frost Mage, but when the majority of Level 58+ players are competing for mobs in Outland, you can have all of WPL/EPL available to you for your relaxing, slow-paced Prot-Paladin AOE grinding.

Isn’t the xp nerfed significantly on vanilla mobs once tbc comes out? Like 80% or something?

I seem to remember something like this, and at one point hunters having trouble leveling new pets because of it?

1 Like

I dont think anything like that happened until after WoTLK.

When WoTLK launched, I spent several hours leveling my Prot-Paladin by pulling rows and rows of the Demon Hunter NPCs along the Black Temple battlements. No reduced experience then.

I don’t recall anything like that. On one of my alts I stayed behind and leveled to 62 or so in the old Vanilla world just because I liked the zones.

I briefly looked through the patch notes and didn’t see anything like this.

If the exp on vanilla mobs were nerfed 80% that would make it like 5 times as hard for anyone to level from 1 to 60

No no, i mean i think its nerfed for folks that are lv 58.

I think they did this exactly to counter the idea of stacking up 25 quests in your log for the moment TBC goes live (and I can distinctly remember folks trying this exact thing, myself included.)

We’ll see when it goes live, but I think you are mistaken and thinking of some later expansion. Maybe it is my memories that are wrong, but I strongly recall leveling my paladin alt to 62 in Azeroth just because I wanted to finish some of the zones before going to Outland. I would think something that drastic would have been in the patch notes and it is nowhere to be found.

Totally possible. Point of discussion is to sometimes help others get it right, and learn when I"m wrong.

Like I said it was years and years ago, and maybe I’m misremembering. I know it happened, but like you said it might have started in later expacs.

Me personally I’m leveling them both

paladin just because you can be the glue that holds a guild together. You run everyone through heroics/get their attunes, farm infinite gold, everyone wants you to tank their kara pugs etc

Feral does have more options in PVP that Protection Paladins, too. Prot-Paladins make for okay flag carriers (if there’s no Druid on your team) and okay node defenders.

But since you can’t force Rogues to attack you (and good Rogues wont even bother trying), Protection Paladins have much less presence in a battleground than a Feral Druid or even a Protection Warrior does. When a Protection Warrior has heals to keep him up, leading a push in Alterac Valley or assaulting a node in Arathi basin … but a Protection Paladin will just be standing there, impotently swinging a weapon.