[Prompt] Learning the Trade

Everyone comes from somewhere. They learn their trade or craft from someone or are self taught. Describe or weave a tale about your character’s learning process, instructors, or how they came into their skill set. Did they learn from a teacher, read and teach themselves? Did they inherit their prowess from their family, trained by them? Did they go to school or just learned as they go? Did they find themselves adept and or gifted, or have they had to struggle to get to where they are?

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting its own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Long ago, before he was slain and brought back as San’layn, Theran Dragonson was known by another name. Sidonis Eversong. Hoping military service would humble and temper the young firebrand, his mother had sent him to learn under a veteran ranger, Nielis Runebrand. However, his mother would be sorely disappointed.

On the eve of the Third War

Nielis approached the target he had set up, and sighed, running a hand through unkempt blonde hair. “Well, you hit the bullseye once…” he pulled the arrow in question out, then gestured at the nineteen arrows not even in the target rings. “Now you just need to work on getting all of the other arrows to land on the target.” Nielis turned to face his scowling student. Sidonis was, in contrast to the rugged and unkempt ranger, completely presentable, the spitting image of a noble brat. The ranger grinned for a moment, before he schooled his expression into the faint scowl of an unimpressed teacher. “Right then, boy. Draw steel.”

Sidonis eagerly drew both of his swords. They were hand-and-a-halfers, with a grip length between a longsword and an arming sword, and a blade to match. Sidonis couldn’t contain his smirk as he lunged at his mentor, one blade ready to parry, the other to follow through. Nielis drew a single longsword, eyes narrowing as he took a half-step back and brought his knees down low, his blade laid flat on his other arm, tip level towards Sidonis. The clash was short, but decisive. Sidonis had overwhelming fury, but Nielis’ mastery of sword and bow served him well against the young spitfire.

That Nielis was panting all the same when Sidonis fell spoke volumes of the young man’s skill. “You’ve improved well… you’ll never be an archer, I’m afraid, but the knights of Silvermoon would be fools to deny you a place in their ranks. You’re swift, agile, and were you not up against me,” the ranger chuckled breathlessly, “well, you might’ve won. Well-fought, Sidonis. I’m afraid this will be our last lesson together for a while.”

Sidonis sprang up. “What? But… but why?!”

Nielis shook his head. “Our majesty, King Anasterien has ordered a closing of the borders, but young Prince Kael’thas remains in Dalaran. I am to bring a message to him, recalling him to the ivory towers of Silvermoon.” Nielis explained.

“Then take me with you! You can teach me on the way there and back again!” Sidonis demanded. Nielis just stared at the boy.

“Not a chance. The roads are dangerous, and I’ll be better defended if I fight on my own. And besides, this demands swift completion- before the gates are closed. You’re fast, boy, but you cannot outpace a Thalassian steed.” Nielis counters, standing up and turning to depart. “Keep training, and perhaps one day you can accompany me on a mission.”

Sidonis’ face warped into an expression of rage as he watched Nielis walk away. Only to shatter as he heard Nielis’ parting words.

“Talent like yours doesn’t deserve to be wasted.”

Icecrown, the Race to the Frozen Throne

Sidonis stared long at the Scourge, swarming towards his prince and Illidan. He had been named a knight, and a distinctive scar marred his right eye now, after a ghoul had nearly rent the eye out. He had not been blinded, but the claws dug painful, jagged lines into his skin.

He stepped towards the cliff, and leapt, using magic to propel himself higher and further than naturally possible, then used magic again to soften his landing, before dashing into the fray, drawing both of his swords, cleaving ghoul after ghoul and geist after geist. Skeletons sliced in twain, abominations skewered and beheaded. He was a whirl of steel, killing Scourge after Scourge. What Nielis taught him, Sidonis perfected. The Danse Macabre, he called it.

Neither Illidan nor Kael’thas noticed the soldier who had sprung into battle and slain so many scourge in a matter of moments. Were Sidonis not in the midst of a battle trance, he would have been offended, but Sidonis had blocked out everything, everything but the slaughter in front of him, everything but the butchery to be done. Cut and cut and cut and rend and rend and rend, his mind was empty but for the death of his foes.

And then, he heard it. The distinctive sound of one taking the Royal Guard stance. He knew only one man who practiced such a stance. His eyes widened in horror as he whipped about to behold a cloaked figure with unholy red eyes and a runeblade resting on his arm, a half-step back and hand firmly holding the two-handed blade.

“… Master Runebrand…” Sidonis whispered in horror. He recovered and took the opening stance of the Danse Macabre. “So that’s why you never came back.”

Nielis’ unliving form released a sigh. “It is time, Sidonis. Your final lesson begins now.”

It took but a minute for their duel to end. And when it did, Nielis released a frozen breath, red eyes drifting closed, as two blades skewered his dead heart and split it into three pieces. “You have learned well… I have… nothing left… to… teach…”

Sidonis released Nielis, letting his corpse fall to the snow.

Then cruel fate interfered with Sidonis’ mourning, as cold steel impaled Sidonis through the back, and a cruel, human voice echoed in Sidonis’ ear. “Consider this my thanks for the entertaining diversion.” In that moment, Sidonis knew he would not rest long.

After all, the traitor prince of Lordaeron had swiftly become known for his cruelty to the dead.

2 Likes
What came before... [Prompt] Descriptive Visitation

Vesthi watched from the darkness of the forest. The small troop of Horde foot soldiers paused their advance within a small clearing. They grunted and growled their guttural languages at one another. The very sound of it sickened Vesthi. She needed to understand what they were saying though, and so she silently wove a simple spell and she reached forth with her mystical senses.

“We’ll make camp here.” The larger orc of the bunch barked at the others. “You three, gather wood and start a fire. The rest of you grab your axes and start felling some of these trees. We need to have a perimeter set by the time the supply wagon arrives with reinforcements.” The brute continued hurling insults and kicking his subordinates into action. Orcs who were obviously tired and worn from their marching and fighting. Dismantling their efforts would hardly be a challenge for her. Vesthi mused with a slight and impish grin as she took in their numbers and movement. Tension mounted in her chest. The desire to rush from the shadows and slay the lot of them toyed with her, testing her patience. Vesthi clenched her fists and then relaxed her fingers, remembering her training in Outland.

The Black Temple had been a treacherous place. It’s dark halls and vast courtyards filled with meandering demons of all sizes were prone to claiming the lives of the foolish, while also making the arrogant and vain suffer. Vesthi found herself in conflict with several fellow trainees, in the beginning. Everyone still held onto their old notions of ranking. Hierarchy. Without intending too they’d injected their own form of politics and then jockeyed for superior positions over other trainees. All notions of her old life, her old ways of thinking and living, were erased in the weeks to follow. Vesthi, along with numerous other trainees, quickly learned to abandon those notions of social status. The only thing that made one greater than another was power. Raw power. A cunning and shrewd mind was also invaluable. Knowing when and how to advance upon an enemy. How to turn their superior odds against them. These skills were just as valuable as raw power. Those that failed to learn this tended to disappear. As much as this worked to ban Vesthi and her peers together in the beginning, it also introduced a more insidious game of power and control. A game of sheer will.

Worse yet were the demons. The demons that pledged to fight along Illidan’s side had unrestricted access. They wandered everywhere. Survival meant more than learning to keep your head on a swivel. It meant paying attention to every little detail at all times. Even when sleeping. A slip in one’s defenses, or failure to notice a crucial detail in your environment, could cost you your life. If you were lucky then such failures merely resulted in painful corrections. Cold dispassionate calculation was the lesson from the pain her mistakes brought her.

Veshi watched from shadows. Melded into the darkness and as still as she was the Orcish footman would be forgiven for stepping right past her, gathering tinder from the forest floor. She’d decided to let him pass. He would be her witness to the horror she was set to unleash upon this small encampment of fools. This lone Orc would speak the voiceless words she would leave in blood and death for him. Once the Orc was at a safe enough distance Vesthi bounded with supernatural grace from one shadow to another swiftly nearing the forest clearing.

At the perimeter of that clearing many of the Orcs had put themselves to chopping on trees. Others worked long thick branches and timber into sharpened pikes meant to build up a rudimentary defensive fortification, in predictable Orcish fashion. They were tired. Over confident. It was clear that they had seen some kind of action. Many of their weapons were blooded. Their leather armors spattered, marred, and some even torn or broken in some fashion. Several Orcs wore flesh wounds as marks of honor and valor. Proof that they’d given as well as they’d been given. These details only emboldened Vesthi. They weren’t fleeing to find shelter from a foe. They had bested their enemy and were now setting up a forward post. When she was done here Vesthi would have to see to that supply wagon they were expecting.

The lithe Demon Hunter set her gaze upon the first Orc that worked to fell a thick tree. The rage that Vesthi held within her chest flared to life, calling as it were upon the very fel energies that coursed through her veins and into her claws. It was time for her to leave her message. She flexed her fingers but this time they did not relax. Vesthi stepped forward from the darkness and moved like a wraith.

The lone Orc tripped over his own feet. Back in the forest he stumbled and poured his arm full of branches and twigs over the forest floor. He cursed to himself for being so weary. The small group of Night Elves he and his band had come across fought like possessed wildlings. It was unnatural. Even frightening, though that fear swiftly faded when one of the Orcs of his band cleaved a Night Elf’s head nearly in two. They didn’t seem so scary after that. The Orc rolled his shoulder, grumbling quietly at the pain. Tall and lanky, those tree dwelling purple freaks sure packed more than a punch. He sighed to himself. This ‘gathering firewood’ nonsense was taking far too long, so instead he picked through the lot he’d gathered. He only took up a few of the biggest branches. Satisfied that this would suffice he ambled his way back toward the clearing.

It wasn’t long before he noticed the dull glint of Orcish Iron embedded in a distant tree. Making his way toward it he quickly found the remains of the Orc that swung it heaped upon the ground. He lay at the foot of the tree almost where he was working on the tree. He hadn’t seen his end coming. Alarmed the Orc reached for his own axe at his belt, dropping his gathered wood at his feet. It was then that his ears noticed the eerie silence. The absent sounds of axe heads chopping away at trees. The lack of the crack and groaning of timber as trees fell. There should have been shouting from the camp in the clearing beyond. There was nothing.

Fear and panic washed over him. The Orc raised his axe and quickly made his way toward the camp. The scene he came upon as he entered the clearing was horrendous. Many of his fellow band of Orcs fell where they were working. Some with their axes still in hand, tools and wood still in their grips. Few appeared to have even had the chance to put up a fight. At the center of the clearing where the large fire was to be set instead was the body of their leader. He’d been impaled by several long poles, sharpened for the defense perimeter. The lone Orc stumbled to the side. Panic quickened his breathing. The grip on his axe loosened and fell from his hand. The noise of it hitting the ground startled him and he turned with a jerk. Out of the darkness came a demon, swift and strong like a hot desert wind. The creature swept him off his feet and pinned him against a tree. Its eyes flared with hellish fel green fire. The heat and stench of the pit flowed from its maw as it spoke it’s vile tongue, incomprehensible to his ears. The creature’s voice deep and full of menace.

The demon’s incoherent guttural growls morphed magically into an intelligible language in the Orc’s ear. “Look upon the camp.” It commanded. Wide eyed the Orc struggled with the massive arm and claw at his neck, to no avail. The demon continued. “See it’s devastation. Know that I am coming.” The creature tossed the Orc aside. He tumbled once and scrambled to his feet. The enormity of the demonic fiend loomed before him. “Spread my message.” The demon commanded. It leaned forward. Jagged teeth gleaming into a grin. “Run.”

The Orc turned with a cry and scurried as best he could back the way they had come. They had arrived as many, now they were but one. In the distance he heard the demon’s voice call out to him once more with an unearthly roar. “I am coming!”

What follows after...Reflecting Pool Prompt
2 Likes

Like riding a bike, eh? Dust off the cobwebs and she’s as good as new. Glad to see ya writing with us again! I enjoyed both pieces :smiley:

2 Likes

“Pick it up, Corvin.” “Haunt, this is a stick.” “Impressive”, Haunt said in an unimpressed tone, “With keen eyesight like that you should have both watches tonight.”

Corvin’s head sank on scrawny shoulders. His voice cracked when he spoke, and the most intimidating aspect to his features were the pimples sprouting like dandelions. A lanky boy of fourteen, he stood in stark contrast to his well-muscled mentor. In the few weeks Corvin spent traveling with Haunt, the boy had tried to grow an equally intimidating beard and mustache yet only the faintest peach fuzz answered his call. His wild, black hair had been sheared close to the scalp to prevent lice and ticks at Haunt’s insistence. Rags, passing as clothes, hung loosely from Corvin’s body. Already, he held regrets from begging Haunt to teach him. His back ached from sleeping on the ground, and his stomach growled incessantly. Red blotches dotted his skin from dozens of insect bites. Haunt seemed indifferent to it all, including Corvin’s company. The boy couldn’t help but crave that sort of self-assurance, to be that kind of man.

“And stop puffing your chest out like that. You look like an underfed pigeon.” Corvin relaxed his shoulders as he bent low for the stick tossed at his feet. “I feel like an underfed pigeon.” “When you hunt better, then you’ll eat better.”

Corvin turned the stick over in his hands. It was an ugly thing, knobbled and looked fresh from the forest floor. “You told me you were going to teach me sword fighting.” “I am.” “What does a stick have to do with a sword?” Corvin pointed at the saber on Haunt’s hip. “Can’t you just let me use that?” Haunt barked a laugh, but Corvin didn’t share the humor. “The art of fighting with a weapon begins with the most fundamental weapon–a stick. I guarantee you that the first mean bastard who ever caved in a skull used a stick to do the job. One day, someone picked up a bigger stick and that gave us the quarterstaff. Someone tied a rock to one end of the quarterstaff to make a spear. Each weapon born from the previous, each built upon the foundation of knowledge of the ancestor. In addition, you will not always have the opportunity to carry a sword on you. Some places frown upon that. But you’ll always be able to find a good stick, and that stick in trained hands is just as deadly as a sword.”

Corvin tossed the stick from one hand to the other. It didn’t feel very deadly. “Before I teach you anything else, Corvin, and if you learn nothing else from me, you must remember three basic rules of fighting. The first rule is: Don’t Fight. Any fight you avoid is, by default, a fight you win. The second rule is: Don’t Lose. If you kill your opponent and then bleed out from a mortal wound, you’ve won nothing. The best way to follow Rule 2 is to follow Rule 1. The third rule is: Cheat. Anyone who fails to follow Rule 3 is failing to follow Rule 2. Those are the fundamental instructions we will build upon, and everything I teach you will have its root in those three rules.”

“So, if I’m not supposed to fight why are you teaching me to fight at all?”

“Because you have to be prepared for success and failure. Having one plan is never enough. You’ll likely never be the strongest one in the room, Corvin, and gods know I don’t expect you to be the smartest, but you can be the most trained and the most prepared. Do that, and you can accomplish just about anything.”

“I’d like to think I could be a little more prepared than just having a stick. That seems like the complete opposite of prepared.”

Haunt’s expression grew dark, and Corvin nearly tripped over himself when the old man closed the distance with long strides. The stick was snatched from Corvin’s hand as easily as a babe’s, and the fear of the old man nearly caused Corvin to miss what had been shoved into his grip. One thing he learned early on in Haunt’s company was to avoid making the man angry at any cost. Haunt returned to his previous position without word, and Corvin stared dumbly at the saber in his grip.

“Use the sword then”, Haunt said in that tone which dared argument, “You hit me with it just once, and we’ll start training you with a blade tomorrow. I’ll even do your chores tonight before bed.”

Corvin never held a sword before. He’d read many copper novels about heroes wielding them, sometimes one in each hand, but never expected them to be so light. He made a few arcs in the air; he could already see himself besting Haunt, fighting undead pirates at sea, swinging across a vast room by chandelier while besting his enemies with only a few flicks of a wrist. Fighting wasn’t even that difficult, he knew. You just put the pointy end in the squishy part and save the fair damsel.

Haunt cleared his throat, and the daydreams vanished like a fart in the wind.

“So, all I have to do is cut you once and I win?” “Cut me with the edge, stick me with the point, slap me with the flat. Hell, hit me with the handguard. Just touch me with some part, any part, of that sword.” Corvin looked at the edge, and knew from experience how sharp it was. “I don’t want to hurt you, Haunt.” “Oh, yes, please be gentle.” Haunt rolled his eyes. “Now come at me with that sword or do you want to complain about that now, too?”

Corvin took the moment and thrust forward, the way he’d seen an actor in a swashbuckling play he saw as a child. “Haha!”, he boasted, “Have at thee, cur!”

Haunt remained still, glancing between the point, several inches short of his chest, and Corvin’s ridiculous stance. “You’re out of measure”, the mentor critiqued by both word and a quick, downward strike of his stick with a turn of the wrist. “I don’t know what that means”, Corvin said after jumping back and rubbing his aching knuckles. “I’m starting to suspect the only skill you truly have is to state the painfully obvious. Try again.”

Corvin never fought with a sword before. He’d read many copper novels about heroes wielding them, sometimes one in each hand, but never expected them to be so heavy. The wide cuts and sharp thrusts became increasingly harder, despite only fighting for brief minutes. His shoulders, arms, and wrists burned with fatigue. Meanwhile, Haunt remained effortlessly beyond reach. His feet carried him deceptive distances, his arm lashing out like a cobra to bite deeply into Corvin’s exposed weaknesses. And, always, the criticism. “Your guard is open.” Corvin hissed and grit his teeth as the stick battered his knee. He turned to attack again, but nearly tripped over his own feet. “Footwork is terrible.” He slashed at Haunt’s stick, to cut it in twain, but Haunt stepped around Corvin’s flank and struck him hard across the rear like a spoiled child. “Chasing my weapon. Most people would have accidentally done something right by now.”

Corvin threw the blade to the ground and charged. Haunt delivered a harsh blow to the back of his head that watered the boy’s eyes, and a second blow to the leg. They fell, narrowly missing the campfire, and rolled across the forest floor. Fists, feet, knees, elbows, and teeth waged primal war beneath the waning gaze of a weary sun. Blood stained their clothing, both men cursing, until Haunt pinned Corvin to the ground and bit deeply into the boy’s nose. A painful cry sent birds soaring from peaceful perches, and when Corvin finally found vision through a curtain of tears and the taste of copper, he found the barrel of a small pistol pushed against his left eye. The hot anger rushed from him like bath water, and fear flooded the void.

“Where did you… why are you pointing that at me?” “You tried to cheat. I cheated better.” “I didn’t think we’d be using firearms!” “When you’re fighting for your life, Corvin, every weapon is on the table. It doesn’t matter how you win, so long as you’re alive and the other poor bastard isn’t.” The hammer clicked back, and Corvin’s eyes widened. “Sword’s not so great after all, is it, when you don’t know what to do with it? Training. Preparation. Those are the real weapons. Sticks, rocks, swords, axes, even guns are merely tools.” He pushed the gun harshly against Corvin’s eye while the boy squirmed. “In the hands of the untrained, they’re as useless as teats on a boar hog. Which is roughly where I’d rate your performance.”

Haunt pulled the trigger. Corvin screamed, turned his head to the side, dug his fingers into the dirt to try to get away. A tiny horn blared, and bits of confetti showered Corvin’s face. It stuck to the sweat stains and made him look like a cheap madam. Haunt rolled away from him busting a gut laughing.

“That was not funny, Haunt!”, Corvin was shaking and wiped at his face. He hadn’t realized how long he’d held his breath, and his lungs gasped for air.

“It was hilarious”, Haunt corrected. “But that gun could have just as easily been real, Corvin. And that, I’ll agree, isn’t funny.” He picked himself up and nudged Corvin’s ribs with a boot. “You feel that fear rushing through you, boy? That feeling of hopelessness? I can teach you to do that to every Light-forsaken monster that crawls in the dark places of this world. You told me you wanted that power when I pulled you away from those cultists.” He offered a calloused hand. Corvin took it and stood, wiping his forearm under his nose to wipe away the blood, snot and tears.

“I’m going down to the river to get cleaned up. You have until I get back to decide what you want. If you want to learn how to hunt, I will teach you for as long as you travel with me. But you will keep your mouth shut, do what I tell you, when I tell you, or the next gun I put in your face won’t be a carnival toy. I say jump, you ask how high. If you don’t like it, you can turn right back around and go home to mommy and daddy’s farm and spend the rest of your life jumping at shadows. Either way, I don’t care. But, if you do stay, you’re still pulling both watches tonight.” He stuck a finger into Corvin’s chest, then turned and passed out of sight behind the trees.

Corvin made two promises to himself while Haunt was gone. He promised he would learn everything the old man had to teach him, even if it meant being beat half to death. And he promised Haunt would be the last one to ever give him orders.

That night, Haunt occasionally cracked his eyes to watch Corvin practicing with the stick. The boy’s form was terrible, even in the dim light of the campfire. He could hear the scratching of feet in the dirt, the occasional curse when he fell. The stick whipped through the air in arcs far too wide. Yet, he could see the hatred and intent in the boy’s eyes when they caught the flames.

It was a start.

2 Likes