Progessive PvP Itemization

So Kaivax just put out a post about how they plan to handle itemization in Classic, and for the most part I don’t really care how they do it. It’s going to end up at 1.12 anyway. They can do whatever they want. That said, I can’t really condone them doing 1.12 ranked pvp items in phase 2. My opinion doesn’t even stem from an “Oh these pieces will be too OP” perspective. It’s one of interesting rewards.

Let’s ignore the R14 gear for now as that’s going to have very people per server have it early on and it will take at least 3 and a half months for the 1st people to get them. No let’s focus on the rank 7-8 gear. Gear that at the 1.12 itemization is on par with AQ40. How much interest and fun is BWL going to be for players who are not going to get very many, if any item upgrades from BWL because they already have pvp gear that is better then what they can get from there?

Come on Classic Devs, you told Kaivax to tell us that

Well if your focus is on rewards, why are you going to make it so BWL is basically not a rewarding thing to run for a lot of people?

3 Likes

And so it begins.

4 Likes

I agree that it would be disappointing to see the BWL gear diminished, though there are items that will still be coveted like the crossbow. I don’t think it would be game ruining, but it would certainly be a different experience.

I promise, before all that is holy, to use my blue pvp pieces to kill Alliance only. I will never use it to strike a raid or dungeon boss.

2 Likes

Man, we just had a thread called: How come Classic gear is so much more interesting than BfA gear

Yet everyone is so concerned that these PvP Blues are going to invalidate all this gear and progression. Why not take some non-optimal, interesting pieces and stop caring about min-maxing your output?

Well it’ll certainly help ret pally’s lol.

IIRC The R8 boots are pre raid BIS for warriors, but this does also help hybrid dps. Blue PVP gear is pretty great though, it’s above a lot of 60 dungi blues and so on, Though BWL gear is still better then a lot of R7-10. As is a lot of MC gear. ZG has the same problem.

This wasn’t a thing during Vanilla, so how would it be an issue now?

I saw exactly 0 people saying “Let’s skip BWL and just PVP for that sweet rank 8 gear”

2 Likes

You’re kind of missing the point. I never said people wouldn’t run BWL in favor of just pvping, but if people can get gear better then what they can get in BWL by pvping on their off time, how rewarding are they going to find BWL?

1 Like

Even if I have pvp gear you know I’m gana want that sweet lookin 10 storms.

2 Likes

And YOU’RE missing the point, I don’t think the gear - for most classes/specs - is on par with AQ40 gear, or more people would have gotten that (relatively easy to get) gear instead of doing more raiding.

While I disagree with the OP’s desired outcome, AQ40 gear was often supplemented with PVP gear in Vanilla.

I think this is kind of in line with the way they look at retail. You should be able to gear the way you want and have it be on par with what other content people are running. Is this a vanilla way of though? Probably not, but it is what it is.

I mean your grinding either way.

I will use a reply I made to someone else.

Sure, there’s some pieces - but to make such a sweeping statement that ALL rank 7/8 is ON PAR with AQ40 gear is wrong.

It really depends on the class and spec - hell there’s a PVP rank 3 piece on druid tank BIS list (like number 11 or something) But I didn’t see anything from PVP under rank 10 on the healer side.

2 Likes

Ok, but Pvp gear is only 6 parts, where do you will get other parts? Deadmines Solo?

4 Likes

While a lot of the gear isn’t on par with AQ 40 gear, the PVP gear is pretty hybrid like (Which is great.) and AQ 40 is more of a hybrid set. Though for example Lionheart helm is still BIS, i think the PVP set will help a lot of people skip around those grinds. This is mostly a problem for DPS, over healer

Though i do think the Priest gear has some pretty great peice’s with + healing on it compared to blues off 5 mans. It’s nothing ground breaking, just allow’s more gear paths.

Obviously. Where else would you get awesome trinkets?

1 Like

Flagged for trolling, as you obviously can’t make a serious response to anyone in this thread.

1 Like

I mean… It is rewarding for everyone regardless. So there goes your argument.

I’m sorry, but if I go someplace and something drops for my class that’s not an upgrade because I have an item that is better from something else, I don’t see that as rewarding, I see that as a wasted drop. Yeah it’s random, but if I had the better item before the place was even released, then it’s really a waste for that item to drop.