Professions, Portals, and Player Agency

Agree entirely. Also, remove all the BoP items that force players to swap out of professions they love because they cannot use or trade the items they make.

And why don’t mats needed drop from gathering? Bloods did in Legion, why don’t they in BfA? And why are there not more options to gain specialty mats we need, such as the ability to swap one for another?

These are all Quality of Life (or Quality of Gaming) issues that need to be addressed.

5 Likes

They actually intended to do that, it was mentioned somewhere in a Q&a or something like that - I’m sure I saw either pictures or discussion of a garrison designed for a Blood Elf.

Do you remember how they were planning it waaaay back in the early days? Can’t remember when exactly but there was a spot in Stormwind that was the planned entry to a player housing area. And I think, if they can create a garrison with its admittedly limited variations, they could design housing even if it didn’t have the sparkly glamour of other more intensely graphic games.

1 Like

This is all very well said. I truly wish the devs were listening.

2 Likes

Agreed. And the key point to all of this is, quality of gameplay is what keeps people playing. Fun is what keeps people playing.

I don’t think game design should punish players terribly strongly, but looking at recent hits from FROM Software, and indie darlings like Hollow Knight, it’s hard to argue that freedom with consequence is great design.

Another good, and quite classic example of this is in Super Metroid. You can literally beat the game’s four primary bosses in reverse order! There are challenges to overcome (rooms that are so hot they constantly drain your health, having to wall-jump your way up red tower, etc), but it can be done.

That’s good design.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree. I had high hopes with garrisons being a place to “call my own” but thus it looked like everyone else’s. I really just wanted a place that I could customize more.

Blizzard loves giving us things only halfway. “Sure I’ll give you your own player location to hangout that you have been asking for. But I won’t give you want you want entirely, I’ll give you whatever I want because you really don’t want that”

This is a great point, and so very apt. I feel like this is at the very core of the issues of WoW right now.

5 Likes

I don’t know about that – I suspect that if it’s true there were other things planned, they were likely cut for time. Whether cutting that was a good decision, though? I’m gonna have to go with no on that.

I don’t think I played when that was a thing. But yeah since we know they can make garrison I am sure that they could do some sort of player housing. But they might just not want to for whatever reason. I am sure they will keep giving us more garrison or class hall type things.

Motes of harmony were, IMO, handled excellently. Sure, they were soulbound, but almost anything could drop them, making them relatively easy to obtain if you were out in the world.

And once MoP ended, they unbound them, allowing players to pass them on to alts, guildmates, or the AH to assist other players who were leveling professions or making items for sale.

I feel the excessive use of soulbound materials - materials now limited to instanced content - has been almost as detrimental to professions and the economy as the sheer lack of recipes and patterns being offered each expansion.

12 Likes

Agreed, and let me be very, very clear about this:

There should never be more than one or two soulbound profession materials per expansion, and they should absolutely never be sourced from raids or dungeons.

It’s fine to have materials drop in raids and dungeons – Primal Nethers worked that way in BC, and they were a great source of income for raid guilds.

6 Likes

I just REALLY want all professions to have stuff that can impact a raid by changing the way that the gear you have works, or by adding a specific item that fills a purpose that a class normally can’t.

3 Likes

Agreed to both of you. Take my tailor for example - I raid very little on her, mostly because my guild has a couple of highly geared very good mages and I try to take classes they can use and that can share gear drops. So she hasn’t received any of the raid mats other than one or two from LFR. It’s a very alt-unfriendly situation.

Might be helped if we were able to do more than 2 main professions on a character.

1 Like

Absolutely agreed. I would, honestly, argue that there is very little reason to soulbind crafting materials at all - and certainly no reason to keep them bound once content becomes “legacy” content - but if there are soulbound mats they should be easily accessible to all playstyles.

Anything that’s going to be limited to characters doing endgame content should be freely available for trade, not used as a means of forcing more of the playerbase into said content.

I won’t even get started on how terrible an idea it is to make BoP gear that takes BoP mats that are obtained through doing content that will provide equal or better gear.

5 Likes

On this subject, and in particular Tailoring.

These should be raid cooldowns for Tailors, only usable once per encounter, and only once every ten to twenty minutes. Note, their cooldowns should be shared, so that Tailors have to make a meaningful choice between soaking damage or reducing CC duration. Imagine Freedom on Jaina, or Defense on Vectis.

3 Likes

I really really hate that this expansion has BoP items that take you weeks upon weeks to farm to be able to craft.

Imagine how much the economic value making those items BoE would be to the game. It would breath more life into the AH, and give more players a reason to want to craft the items.

It would also give players who can no longer use the item as an upgrade a use for the raid mats!

2 Likes

I was honestly shocked when I read it was not useable in instanced areas. Seems like such a good idea to implement, and actually takes good timing of the items to get full value from it.

The way it currently is makes it a waste of gold, mats, and time to craft :confused:

Yeah, definitely, and I went into this briefly in my original post. It isn’t just crafters who benefit from being able to make and sell valuable BoE items – gatherers who provide and sell the materials also gain an end product that creates demand for their wares.

That consumption chain is essential to an active in-game economy. I’m genuinely baffled that they opted for the current design, as it seems like such a transparently bad one.

2 Likes

I hate that Blizzard thinks this. Portal hopping makes the world feel more alive and like a magical world. I remember doing this in AC where you would actually have maps of the portal routes you needed to take to get closest to your destination.

Of course Blizzard thinks portals makes the world feel small when it is actually just a really small game world.

1 Like

I feel like they think it will add more hours of raiding to make the item. Imho it actually does the opposite for most people.

Do they really think a person who only does normal raiding is going to raid 220 times to get a 415 item?

Hell, it takes 22 heroic bosses to craft all the way up to a 415. A majority of people will look at it as a waste of time to craft, as they will eventually get a 415 by RNG.

1 Like