Professions and Expansions today

Sucks to be people who enjoy working on professions while leveling through content.
I remade my hunter and chose Draenor as my leveling area so I could get the bags for when I make new characters.
And because Hunter was the first ever class I ever made of my own volition I pay extra special attention to my hunters when I make them (Level cooking,fishing yada yada so on so forth)
So yea,arrived in Draenor,grabbed Fishing,Cooking,Leatherworking and Skinning.
All golden.
Looked through the unlearned recipes and lo and behold!

Need level 35 to equip crafted gear,even the ones you start off with at level 1.
Need level 35 to EAT the friggen food you cook.
Can’t use Draenor Bait until level 35.

And then there’s the Relics to scale gear down.
But you need level 40 in that profession to use them.
Which means you have a crapload of vendor trash until you hit 40 points because you can only apply relics WHILE crafting the gear.
And then there’s the cost of the resources to craft those relics,which I heard was because people were abusing them by spam running old raids and upgrading the crafted gear for massive profit.

What is the point in being able to pick an expansion to start off in if we can’t even fully make use of the stuff available in that expansion while we level?
Why do the people who actually enjoy professions have to get punished because people use them for making gold?
If Blizz hates professions so much why even have them?

Angry rant over :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The level requirements for crafted items have been messed up in some of the expansions for almost 3 years now, but things got a lot worse when 9.0.1 dropped last week & now they’re all affected when Chromie Time is active. I hope that they’ll finally be motivated to do something about it beyond the bandaid of Relics, which don’t do anything for Cooking or Alchemy.

I’ve been working on Archaeology and it’s all screwed up. Face it, WoW is becoming a game of sitting in the capital city waiting for your end game raid to pop. Well, that’s NOT how I want to play. I love professions, I love the grind. My kids are trying to talk me into Project Gorgon and if this xpac doesn’t straighten out the profs, I my just do that. It’s still a rough game in alpha, but it may scratch my itch.

Professions are the giant elephant in the room when it comes to creating a consistent new player experience.

Not only do you have an avalanche of different mats you also have a confusing mess of one off systems for acquiring mats and recipes. Rep, PvP, discovery, world drop, farms, dungeon only drops, scrappers, and empowered crafting stations.

Spaghettfied game play.

2 Likes

Houndrever, I am having these same issues.

I have a level 34 druid in Pandaria, and Archaeology isn’t working for me either, and I’m not sure what’s up since I’ve never tried it before. The minimap choice for archaeology digsite reveal is check marked, but I can’t seem to find any digsites.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Have you looked in the Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor? Beginning Archaeology has you start in that area generally. Archaeology still seems to work like how professions used to work. You need to level through the expansions in order to unlock digsites in other continents at least up to MoP. At skill 1 there are digsites in Draenor, Broken Isles, and BfA content though.

1 Like

Thank you Maganar, now I understand.

I agree. The professions have me frustrated with the way they are right now; and I don’t know if it’s something they’re even going to fix, or if this is intentional. With the way they never added low level plate to blacksmithing, it’s hard to have a good feeling about the future of professions. It’s an aspect of the game that I greatly enjoy.

1 Like