Problem with Graphic Lag/Windows 7 Nvidia

No, this was never the case. Either option was obviously utilizing the dedicated GPU(at least for me) since the integrated graphics definitely cannot push out nearly as many frames as the stuttering graphics, and I verified this with a resource monitor. It strongly appears like the issue has something to do with the pipeline from the Nvidia to the Intel graphics. Telling WoW to use the integrated graphics while having the Nvidia Control Panel set to use the Nvidia graphics solved this issue.

That would be a bandaid, not a fix.

I have a feeling you didnā€™t read my last step.

Iā€™m confused because once i set Warcraft to intel graphics via the Nvidia control panel, iā€™m still faced with one of the original issuesā€¦ Intel not showing in the GPU selection box, still only shows 2 instances of Nvidia, so iā€™m unable to tell it to use integrated within the game. I realize intel is going to run crappy but i think iā€™d rather play the game at a low FPS than this weird choppy/blurry experience i have now. It actually gives me a headache. Not to mention i show 40-60fps yet the game is choppy and in some spots causing the whole computer to come to a sluggish halt.

EDIT: I found what i did wrong. So after setting Warcraft to Intel Graphics in the nvidia control panel and switching it to Intel graphics within the game. Nothing changesā€¦ same results, same FPS, regardless which GPU is selected. I do believe that the problem is (at least for me), wow is not using Nvidia, even if i select nvidia in both the Nvidia Control panel and within the game. It would explain why the game is struggling.

Did you apply the changes in the Nvidia Control Panel?

To your edit:
No, thatā€™s absolutely not the case. Your integrated graphics certainly cannot push 40-60 FPS especially on the same higher graphics settings you were presumably using. I get about 10 FPS on my HD 4600 graphics with the settings Iā€™d normally use with my GTX 770M.

Here is exactly what i didā€¦
(Wow GPU selection has Auto Select/2 instances ofNvidia GeForce GT 630M)

#1. I went into the Nvidia Control Panel, i set wow.exe to the Intel HD Graphics 4000
#2. I launch wow, i get a grey box saying something changed, do i want to reset wow to default options, not the exact wording.
#3. I open the wow advanced graphic options, GPU is set on Auto-Select, i click it and finally Intel HD 4000 and 1 instance of Nvidia are showing.
#4. I select Intel HD 4000, i apply the settings. Screen freezes a second. I walk outside the inn in Zuldazar and iā€™m sitting 43fps and things are still sluggish.
#5. I go back into the wow GPU option, i select the Nvidia selection, i apply settings and screen freezes a second. I walk outside the inn and once more FPS is 43-45, depending on if im moving, same sluggish feeling.

No matter the selection, i get the same results.

1 Like

Which rendering method are you using? I suspect WoW is ignoring the GPU settings in optimus unless you use DX11_Legacy, as the newer methods allow the game to enumerate the devices. I would try the following:

Graphics Setting WoW Optimus
DX11 Legacy Unset Set
DX11 Set Unset

Pardon me if youā€™ve already tried both of these already.

It looks like the GT 630M is about the same as the performance of the HD 4000. See here:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-630M-vs-Intel-HD-4000-Mobile-125-GHz/m7814vsm7653

There is definitely still a problem though. I know my graphic choices suck but they shouldnā€™t be causing the problems iā€™m having. Not to mention others having the exact same problem at the same time. Iā€™ve seen wow run on a computer that couldnt handle it. Your FPS is 1-10 and youā€™re freezing up more than playing, if the game even launches. I can log in fast, my FPS is a steady 40-60fps, depending where i am. 60fps in the old worlds, usually 40-45 around zandalazar. I can stand in an inn with a steady 60fps and move camera left and right and itā€™s sluggish/stutter. I can live with it, the only problem that is really annoying is the game slowing the whole laptop down. I can do a boss and keep 40-50FPS but the second they drop ground effects, my FPS drops to around 20 and the whole laptop slows down, discord is choppy and everyone sounds like robots, mouse is slow. The second the ground effects are gone things are back to normal. A good example is i ran Throne of Thunder for an achievement and during the Doromu fight, when he does the fog/eye beams, it just about killed my computer. This did not happen prior to last patch. I have all settings on Low, any suggestions or settings iā€™m missing that could help that problem? maybe an option in the nvidia control panel itself? At this point i give up on it being fixed. I just want to band aid the problem and get a little relief til i can get a new computer.

This is while running with the Intel graphics? That sounds like thermal throttling to me. Not much you can do but clean out the CPU fan. Other than that, you can limit the FPS to 30 and perhaps your CPU wonā€™t throttle.

Hey everybody,

Weā€™re still trying to gather as much information as possible on this. If youā€™re having the issue the OP is talking about, please reply to us with this information:

• Your current Windows 7 Service Pack
  • Your Nvidia Graphics card model
  • What graphics APIs youā€™ve tried from the System>Advanced Settings (DirectX 11, Legacy, and DirectX 12 modes)
  • Any other troubleshooting youā€™ve tried to fix this
  • Whether upgrading to Windows 10 fixed it for you

Iā€™m the OP but some of these questions i havenā€™t answered yet.

Current Windows 7 Service pack is 1
Nvidia GeForce GT 630M
I have tried DirectX 11 and Legacy, 12 is not available.
Updated Drivers to what i could, tho they are still fairly old due to lack of driver releases from Asus and the Nvidia and intel site drivers wonā€™t work. Went through a process as noted in my other post for Switching between Intel HD 4000 and the Nvidia which made no change whatsoever. Blew the laptop out with a can of air. I have tried countless settings in the Nvidia control panel to no avail. I have all current available windows updates. Iā€™ve tried shutting everything down and only have Wow running. I also tried praying as well as telling the laptop itā€™s appreciated and needs to pull through. I havenā€™t upgraded to windows 10. If i knew for sure that would fix the problem i gladly would try, since 7 is still supported for now and iā€™m hoping to get a little more life out of this one.

1 Like

Iā€™m still have trouble as well unfortunately.

Current Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
Tried both DirectX 11 and Legacy, I Canā€™t use DirectX 12
Iā€™ve tried updating My Nvidia and Intel drivers, as well as the BIOS. Iā€™ve also tried resetting all options both ingame and in the Nvidia control panel, double checked all the power management settings(everything is set to max). Iā€™ve tried running WoW on selective startup to shut all other programs down. Iā€™ve removed all addons and reset the UI. Iā€™ve tried running the game directly from the exe using both the Nvidia and Intel GPUs. So far nothing has made any difference, the game always has much lower framerates than before and is choppy/stuttery. I donā€™t have Windows 10 so canā€™t comment on that.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if you you know about the graphic performance setting https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/manage-graphics-performance-per-app-windows-10/ settings in Windows 10 from a couple months back, hell I didnā€™t even know they were there until I read this article in my Chrome Browser one day, and i believe Linus from Linus Tech Tips (online tech) used this setting to get a Crypto Currency Geforce 1060 card with no HDMI or any monitor connects what so ever to work through his Intel iGPU and show up in this ā€œGraphicsā€ settings and configure it per program/profile you can Google (crypto currentcy 1060 Linus) if you want to see it, his video clearly shows his Intel iGPU and the Geforce 1060 to show up, may be your PC/Laptop is stuck in one of these modes no matter what you try hopefully this will help!

Problem is this thread is about Windows 7/Nvidia, not sure windows 10 info would help. Still having the problem here. Is there any way whatsoever to upgrade the intel/nvidia drivers? If you look at my problem and the problems of others who posted, what we share in common is Optimus Technology with Intel/Nvidia drivers, windows 7. Iā€™m guessing we also all have really outdated drivers we canā€™t update. A couple people fixed the problem by upgrading to Windows 10. So what does Windows 10 change that could fix the problem? are there new drivers for windows 10 that get installed maybe? Also, Directx 12 does not show up, is that due to old drivers?

Yes, i fixed with Win10 installation.
No, the drivers donā€™t get updated. I just installed the same, but for Win10.
I donā€™t know why it is working on Win 10 and not on Win7.
Directx 12 does not show up, it is due to old graphic card i think. Laptop with GT 540M here.

Does your laptop actually have the windows 7 key on the bottom of the laptop?

Yes, Google ā€œDriver Booster 6ā€ it is from IObit and they have a free version that will give you some options to update those drivers if a update actually exists, some times a driver is out in and no one knows about it.

If i recall you can still get Windows 10 free if you have a disability in the household copy & past this ā€œYou Can Still Get Windows 10 for Free from Microsoftā€™s Accessibility Siteā€ and do some research.

Some of the windows 7 OEM keys will activate windows 10. But you need the windows 7 key.

Yeah im running a GTX 1050TI with 16G of Ram 2tbHD core I5 7700 , asus max hero alpha viii MB and im also having issues with the frame stutters. donā€™t let them blame it on PC specs they did something and they need to fix it, clearly them.

Please refrain from derailing the thread. If you had actually read the thread there Optimus laptops are not using the integrated GPU and there is no newer drivers because they are using windows 7.

I have zero issues with any of my many rigs. No stuttering. There is almost always a reason why the PC is having issues . Wow is CPU dependent unlike may other games. Things that use CPU resources can affect the game.