Pride in Defeat - Teldrassil and Theme

You ever read any stories with gods, they dont tend to do much, usually cause they are busy with more important things.

Wasting your time interacting with this shill.

1 Like

Cool so the Night Elves arenā€™t important to Elune and sheā€™s still unworthy of their devotion. I get it.

2 Likes

Yeah cause the fate of the whole universe and creation tends to be more important most of the time.

Thatā€™s fine and all but you canā€™t defend her as a deity worthy of worship when she canā€™t even protect her faithful because she considers them unimportant. The Night Elves might as well go secular and look out for themselves because Elune sure wonā€™t. She just proved that.

4 Likes

The Night Elves are worshipping Elune for thousands of years just for Elune to watch them all die and leave their souls in the maw to suffer foreverā€¦

Maybe they should start worshipping some loa instead - or Nathanosā€¦
Perhaps they wouldnā€™t just watch while their children are being tortured

4 Likes

wow isnt real life and elune exists, its like you didnt play bfa, I am sure causing eternal night is nothing.

theres so many things she could be busy with, like keeping the void lords in there cage, OH heres a good one, fixing death, blizzard said death was broken for quite a bit there, theres also her probably children going on a rampage crystallizing whole worlds and stuff.

You donā€™t have to deny the existence of a god to be secular. If the god you believed in, that you devoted millennia to, up and left you and your people to die because they deemed you unimportant in the grand scheme of things would you still believe in them? Still spend your time prostrating and carrying out rituals in their name? I wouldnā€™t.

Itā€™s funny that Loa are the more trustworthy ones. They honour their covenant with their followers and respect them in return for what they receive. Itā€™s always the followers stabbing them in the back not the other way around.

8 Likes

More likely the problems in the Shadowlands were affecting Elune even before the burning happened.

3 Likes

Not even after they help you take back your lands, yeah I dont think sheā€™d want you as a worshiper either. Its almost like a major part of the cosmos is falling apart next xpac.

Which only happened after she let them all die in the first place, something even Tyrande calls her out for and thatā€™s the only reason Elune even does it.

So? again, you are assuming she could do anything at all at the moment

Yet she could do something immediately after just because Tyrande called her out for her failure? Right, that makes sense.

1 Like

and if you read some of the quests, its because whatever she was busy with she decide not to focus on, at least its hinted at that, which you know is probably gonna cause issues next xpac

I have always been a fan of reading the history of that little war. It sticks out for some reason. It is hard for me to say why. On that, I agree.

It was an early test of Soviet imperialism and it was costly. Yet Finland remained steadfast. It is predicated by centuries of history between the nations in that area. And it did not quite end there.

I can not imagine Blizzard writers approaching anything close to that without a major staff shuffle.

3 Likes

Here we go againā€¦

Something about you is different and I canā€™t put my finger on itā€¦

1 Like

Ever consider maybe the reason is because she literally COULDNā€™T do anything?

Sheā€™s a god but sheā€™s not Omnipotent. And thereā€™s a probably a good reason why she couldnā€™t reach out more then she has.

Hypothetically, sheā€™s trapped, Locked away by some force of equal or greater power then her own. She only had enough power to ease the suffering of the burning Victims as a Direct action, and now that sheā€™s given all of her power to Tyrande, sheā€™s sitting powerless in a Cell in the Shadowlands, riding her last chance on Tyrande coming to rescue her.

3 Likes

My night elf druid is level 110. I actually really want to do the Darkshore content on him and fight against the Horde in defense of some of my favorite zones in the game.

What is stopping me? Well. The story, really.

I think the biggest issue with the War of Thorns, as far as night elves go, is more in how it ended and how that moved into the Battle for Azeroth. Iā€™ll break it down into two key things.

1. Itā€™s hard to feel good after genocide.
Okay, pretty obvious. But hear me out.

The reason the Finnish war feels so good is because, while Russia did win in the end, Finland didnā€™t go on to suffer a massive culling of their population and a near destruction of their civilization.

There is no ā€œWe gave as good as we got!ā€ that can happen in that scenario. The night elves may have gotten a great kill to death ratio and really bled the Horde dry every step of the way, but when the Horde got to the endā€¦

If the Horde had just captured Teldrassil and the story we got was about night elves in Darkshore fighting to one day liberate their people I am 100% positive night elf fans would be significantly happier. Because that leaves them with a win condition on the horizon to work for. Something tangible. And while they couldnā€™t stop the Horde from taking Teldrassil they at least made it cost them. It would be something to be proud of and something to inspire them to keep playing.

Obviously we didnā€™t get that. Teldrassil is gone. Sylvanas dealt a crippling blow that can never be undone. Retaking Darkshore almost seems pointless in the face of that. I imagine that is a big thing taking the wind from peoplesā€™ sails in regards to feeling good about their performance in the War of Thorns.

2. Why the Heck would I ever go to Kul Tiras after that?!
Seriously, what? Why? There is nothing in this universe that could motivate my night elf druid to journey to some crappy human kingdom while his homeland is burning and being blighted. How could Blizzard think Iā€™d feel motivated to go play around in Kul Tiras after seeing a massive chunk of the night elven population go up in flames?

There is nothing for my night elf there. He just lost everything he cared about and now heā€™s being shipped off to fight for someone elseā€™s nation.

That is such a disconnect. Iā€™ve been trying to come up with the motivation to play through Kul Tiras for months now but I just canā€™t do it. Having my night elf leave Darkshore and Ashenvale at this critical time just feels wrong.

And I think that is the second big issue with the War of Thorns. Somewhere along the way we went from ā€œThe War of Thornsā€ to ā€œThe Fourth Warā€ and the transition was almost nonexistent. Then they had to wait an entire patch cycle to revisit the war people actually cared about. Only then we just got a few short quest chains and a warfront to represent the battle we all have actual emotional investment in the outcome of.

In short.

That is my answer as I see it. If Teldrassil had only been occupied and we were going to Kul Tiras to get reinforcements to take it back my night elf would be fully motivated to do it. Or if there was some option to stay in Darkshore and level there without ever leaving the place I actually care about defending Iā€™d feel motivated to do that too.

ā€¦ Maybe Iā€™ll just level my night elf through PVP and skip Kul Tiras entirely.

25 Likes

The light has made a pact with the enemy of all.

Paraphrasing but sounds like Elune made a deal with the Jailer.

1 Like