Preying on the weak: why blizzard left out RDF

Phone game app developers create games where eventually you hit a paywall and it is pay to win. Most people with non addict personalities delete the game, but the addict really brings in the money for the developers. Developers bank on the fact that the addict will pay massive amounts of money on in game purchases (sometimes thousands of dollars). This business practices is a sick method which exploits gamers with addiction tendencies.

Blizzard has followed this business practice by leaving out RDF and adding in a paid boosting service. These two changes never existed in wotlk before and now they have been added via the justification of a false claim. They say they “listened to the community”; lies, blatant lies. They know that it is enjoyable to level alts through dungeons and they are fully aware that the most popular private server hosts 3.3.5, an expansion with RDF. They are banking on their exploitation of the addict and this is unacceptable! Servers with RDF should be included into the game. If they cite that they listen to the community and make no changes when we are screaming out for a change (something that was in the game and should be in the game) then we know that their motives are clearly to suck money from people!

11 Likes

i’m gonna blow your mind. you ready?
paid boosts are preferable to RDF
:exploding_head:

2 Likes

What??? LOL

Oh PC gaming companies do this as well. It’s called doing business.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/331402-activision-blizzard-reports-highest-microtransaction-revenue-ever
In 2021 over 60% of ABK’s revenue was from microtransactions so it makes sense that they’d want to get juice from their players. Stockholder happiness matters in business.

Blizzard has chosen to include boosts for players to purchase so the company can make bank. They could have included the actual transactions that were present during Wrath’s original release (race/faction changes) but at this time have elected not to do so. If they were going full court press on addicts then those would be there, in-game shop would have more offerings, the token (RMT with Blizz for in-game gold) available, etc.

They drew a line on what they thought they could implement without a full-scale exodus from the game. They have the numbers and know when to backpedal if necessary.

1 Like

Just launch a server with LFD and a server without and let the player base decide.

5 Likes

Agreed. At the bare minimum at least a couple servers should be released with RDF.

Paid boosts contribute to the massive Botting issues and community being destroyed by GDKP where noone needs to do anything apart from swipe a credit card to be a valued member of a raid.

RDF contributes to me not getting to message people “inv” and then not talk to them again until the dungeon that drops p1 prebis finishes.

Your 2 weeks of classic wow showing again how much you know about the game lol.

5 Likes

Anti RDF claims are all fallacies that I originally tried to respect and understand. As I probed their reasoning I found that they want to oppress and exclude others. It is not ok. RDF was in wotlk; it needs to be in wotlk classic

5 Likes

I’m not arguing against RDF. I have already stated numerous times in a great many threads that it should be present once the ICC content phase is reached - just as it was in Wrath.

What I’m saying in this thread is conflating the lack of RFD with wanting to make money from microtransactions isn’t about taking advantage of people that have poor impulse control. The company was going to do that anyway because microtransactions are big money. Blizzard has the numbers and research to predict just what will cause players to stop playing. RDF isn’t one of those things apparently. However the company has positioned itself to step back and slide it in if those projections prove wrong.

1 Like

My reasoning that leaving it out is part of their money farming ploy is that people coming back to wotlk expect this feature. They do not want to commit the time to staring at the LFG chat where boosting is spammed or whispering people inv and being excluded. I believe blizzard assumes people will just give in and pay for their boost. They are also very aware that private server warmane has it and also warmane tested not having it before and got lots of demands wanting it and eventually shut down the servers that didn’t have it. Blizzard knows all of this, so why would they leave it out? Pushing boosts. That’s why.

1 Like

Correct.
Which is why I believe they won’t reverse course unless boost sales are lower than expected and people actually do quit citing lack of RDF as the reason.

Players will always choose a lazy option over a correct one.

This will only prove players are lazy.

This is the most nonsense thing I have ever heard.

I’m against RDF because it hurts the game, and we have over 10 years of Retail to prove that.

If you unironically think this then you should honestly just delete your entire wow account.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you’re just trolling at this point.

4 Likes

He didn’t play classic vanilla or tbc. He just can’t find anybody in real life to talk to so he comes here.

2 Likes

Hahahahahha! There are so many things wrong with this statement I don’t even know where to start.

Yes. This is why there are people currently playing on thr classic servers instead of retail. Classic is clearly the “lazy” option.

Did you forget that you’re playing a video game? Of course we’re being lazy. We’re playing a video game. We’re not exactly working on our doctoral thesis, here.

Do you think video games are “work”?

Is spamming the chat with LFG advertisements “work” for you?

Who are you to dictate what the “correct” form of entertainment is for someone else?

5 Likes

Very interesting theory. Blizzard promotes gold selling by selling boosts to their player base. These boosted players can instantly get to a high level to sell boosts to lower level players. These players boosting others sell gold online which pays for their blizzard boost and then they may reap a profit. This absolutely makes sense to me. RDF would eliminate the need for players to pay for their boosting service so they can sell gold online and blizzard doesn’t want this because then they would not be able to sell any boosts. This sounds like it would almost be a criminal charge on blizzards behalf if their employees are caught doing this because it directly goes against their terms of use. I have a strong feeling this is what is going on. It is the only thing that makes sense.

I will make a new post on this. Nice critical thinking here gnome.

This might be worth putting in a complaint with the better business bureau.

Dang. The more I think about it the more I am realizing how screwed up it is.

1 Like

I posted this somewhere else on the internet but I will repost it in this thread.

World of Warcraft : The Golden Age

Many years ago a game called World of Warcraft was released by Blizzard. This game was fair, with large amounts of players competing to reach maximum level. All of the players were on an even keel when it came to progression and advancement in World of Warcraft.

The first raid was released, the first “real” raid as some players called it. The bosses inside of this raid were so powerful, and deadly, that smaller teams of players could barely clear it of monsters. This saw rise to the colossal 30-man raid groups of yore, groups of coordinated players working together to thwart many a boss determined on enslaving the world of Azeroth.

Months passed but the players did not grow weary, for Blizzard had continued to provide stronger bosses for the players to fight, larger, more difficult raids to engage in. Some players devoted their entire lives, for their lives were short and fraught with misery, to playing World of Warcraft and killed an untold number of raid bosses.

The profitability of World of Warcraft was compromised for many reasons, and due to this Blizzard introduced World of Warcraft tokens into the game. This essentially allowed players to buy gold from one another for USD, or United States Dollars. It is at this point that World of Warcraft became pay-to-win.

You do not really know as much about pay-to-win as you think you do. You might think you understand it but really you do not.

1 Like

ok jon snow thx

I’m guessing blizzard is ignoring bots either to keep the bots paying subs and purchasing character boosts, or like you said how blizzard bought out the wow token eventually they can just directly cash in on it by saying, “oh we couldn’t stop the bots it was so hard to stop them” and then proceed to sell us the gold directly through wow tokens.

Nostalrius had 150k active players and somehow they were able to actively kill off Botting and there was no sub fee so these accounts could immediately come back to life, yet never made an impact because the Devs actually did something about it. If a bunch of dudes in a basement can fill the issues a multi billion dollar company can’t, then either they have hired complete morons, or they are turning a blind eye.