Prejudice against survival hunter

Ya in BC, Expose Weakness was a party-wide(not raid-wide) buff that was ridiculously good for your rogues - who were, in tbc, the best source of dps - and surv was only slightly behind marks in parses, so most guilds had a group in their raid that was 1 survival hunter and 4 rogues and that hunter’s job was basically to make the rogues better lol

Yeah lets not, msv is a lot of fun imo. I do miss rsv from cata-wod but i feel like give one or two more expansions msv will only get better

It was the worst implemented spec they have ever done and it was a huge mistake for them to delete the old spec rather than actually update and modernize it.

A 4th spec is the ideal option at this point. Something needs to be done.

3 Likes

Maybe because “melee hunter” has been the epitome of stupid ideas since the game first launched.

5 Likes

100% sure in legion it was pretty bad but it feels good now. I do wish they had made a 4th spec for it though

survival needs to be a tank spec

I disagree, the idea is interesting but it was executed poorly and at the expense of a beloved spec is all

I’m not talking about how it plays when I say it was the worst implemented spec. I’m talking about how they deleted the old spec to make room for the current spec.

I actively advocate for buffs and changes to help improve the current spec frequently. However, it never should have deleted the old spec and the old spec needs to come back in some updated form at some point. The Legion rework has done more harm than good to the class as a whole.

The specs should appeal to hunter players. I suspect the vast majority of players who main hunters have no interest in tanking. This will only lead to a similar situation that the Legion rework gave us.

4 Likes

Yes i’m aware of what you meant, which is also why i agreed it was implemented poorly (in legion) and i wished it ended up being a fourth spec.

2 Likes

My mistake. For some reason the first part if your post made me think you thought I was strictly referring to its gameplay lol

1 Like

I disagree, I play a hunter and think survival would make for an excellent tank

We can barely get people to play it as a melee dps. Why would it appeal to more players as a tank, specifically hunter players?

Edit: I would personally enjoy tanking as well. I doubt the majority of hunter players would and it would fly in the face of the hunter class design and would have many of its own issues, similar to current SV. Tanking is also far less popular than DPS, and you only ever at max need two tanks. I believe changing it from DPS to tank would do even more harm than what has already been done to the class since the Legion rework.

Improve upon the current spec for those who enjoy it and bring back an updated version of the old spec as a 4th spec. Making current SV into a tank would only continue the precedent that blizz can and will delete specs for whatever they want, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

3 Likes

I just want my favorite spec back. MoP was my favorite Xpac. That was largely due to my love of ranged survival. It was so fun. The rotation was so smooth. It baffles me to this day how they could just delete a spec from the game.

6 Likes

Ya, from what I understand it was largely the same in Mists as it was in CAta/Wrath… and that’s when I played it most. It was such a well designed spec. I loved that it wasn’t just purely rotationally driven, that it was optimized around a priority sequence instead. I miss that feeling of having to decide ‘what is my best option here?’ based off of my current proc/focus/cooldown situation rather than just knowing based off of the rotation. It just felt so satisfying when you did everything right.

2 Likes

A few of us in the hunter forums have come up with different ways to return an updated version of the spec back. Ghorak made a popular thread and I made one about a month ago for fun.

I think if it does eventually come back it needs to fit more into the modern game, but I absolutely agree with you. The face paced reactionary gameplay where you had to make quick decisions was a blast to play.

I need to update it a bit. I’m not sure I’m entirely happy with a few things in there, but if you’re bored / looking for something fun to read about what an updated version could look like, give it a read :slight_smile:

I’ll flag it to take a look for later.

I remember once posting a proposal for making an ‘arcane archer’ spec that kind of brought back the elementalist vibe survival had going in late cataclysm that kind of worked in a similar way. But ya, I really wish they’d consider doing something to bring it back. Then they could get rid of those talents in the MM tree nobody wants because they’re butchered versions of old surv skills that never fit with MM to begin with… and replace them with MM talents that actually feel like MM.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is one of my main issues when people say we have MM instead. Like, the two weren’t similar to begin with and the playstyles are different. But beyond that, haphazardly forcing SV talents into MM satisfies neither MM or SV players.

It waters down MM’s actual choices that they would rather want while leaving Old SV players still without the playstyle they enjoyed.

4 Likes

I’m dumb and can’t articulate my thoughts well, that’s not on you

1 Like

You’re good man, no worries.

Us and Demo LOcks… poor bastards lose out to DH, whilst we lost a whole spec.