Prayers for Paris

Yes, it’s a free society. Both sides got to express their opinion, and neither side was arrested for it.

Don’t you have free speech where you come from?

Cracking an egg on someone’s head is a bit more than expressing an opinion. It very likely resembles an assault or battery statute. Don’t need to be so obtuse.

1 Like

As a firefighter in the US. This isn’t all accurate info. Just saying

2 Likes

I guess Aussies aren’t so ready to cry over stuff that does no actual harm. We save our tears for the real victims, like the ones the would-be poli was blaming for their own deaths.

Anyway, you’re derailing this thread, so this is the last answer you will get from me.

1 Like

The Notre Dame frame work is made of wood. You clearly don’t know anything of the place or been there. It was built with a wooden frame/beams to support parts of the place. You seriously lack some info my friend.

With a structure fire like this there wasn’t really any chance of putting it out. Part of the reason they were doing reno in the first place was actually the fire danger apparently.

To be fair: the main structure of the towers is stone, but the internals are wood. There will still be damage but not enough to put them in danger now.

1 Like

Still good news. Better some was saved, than none at all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed, the French state will likely rebuild as it’s an icon of France. That said I’d expect far more steel and glass in the roof next time.

2 Likes

In a way I am both sad and excited at seeing where the rebuilding goes. I mean, unlike my Grandmother I wont ever get to see what it looked like “before” the fire, but perhaps I’ll appreciate the genius the French will no doubt use in the reconstruction of the Cathedral more, because my eyes and mind won’t be colored by a perception of what was lost; but rather be amazed by what they rose beyond.

I dunno, maybe that’s the best way to look at this tragedy?

3 Likes

One of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world in my opinion. Our families thoughts and prayers are will the French people.

2 Likes

It’s important to note that Notre Dame was a ‘Gothic’ cathedral focused on bringing light in (despite being dark!) so I suspect that will be the theme of the rebuild.

2 Likes

The sarcasm was mildly hard to catch.

I would really be thrilled to hear what your sources are on that.

A true tragedy. At least the art and relics were saved. A pretty haunting image was floating around of the cross on the altar standing still, unscathed, among the ashes.

2 Likes

This is a tragedy. A piece of History like Notre Dame should never be lost…

2 Likes

While the loss of historic and culturally-relevant architecture is a shame, I am grateful that - apparently - no one was hurt.

3 Likes

Definitely such a tragedy! I found out by watching Asmongold return to streaming after a few months off and people in the chat were saying Notre Dame. Asmon looked it up and I turned on CNN. Horrible news. Luckily the structure and bell towers are saved.

CNN sources also stated that there is renovation going on and last week statues and relics were removed. It started in the attic. In coming days we will see more pictures of it. Luckily those have been unscathed. The other relics were removed as well. The pictures are horrific and people singing hyms made it sombering. We will rebuild as French President stated and everyone can contribute to that process. :sob::sob:

1 Like

There was one firefiighter CNN stated was injured but no deaths.

Diversity was their strength.