Prayers for Paris

You’re saying 100 year old windows added in 2019 will have as much value in 100 years as the 800 year old windows built without technology back in the thirteenth century that took 200 years to complete?

I don’t know where to begin responding to that…

1 Like

There are parts that are lost now that have to be rebuilt, like the windows, the tower, etc. While you can call it “restoring”, it will still technically have to be “rebuilt”.

Just read about the fire before coming to the forums. I’m not religious or Parisian, but I feel a sad sense of loss I can’t explain.

1 Like

The artwork is actually much harder to restore/rebuild than the building itself, so that’s really good news.

The technology we have today can build them x1000 faster then how they did it in the past, it comes down to if France wants to spend the $$ on that or just let them be memories.

That has nothing to do with the statement -

This statement here is absurd.

1 Like

You people are arguing about a tragedy, without really knowing anything about it besides the thing being on fire (possibly caused by renovation.)

So I need to lighten the mood.

It will all be OK, after the lady who did this is called in to restore what happens:

5 Likes

I do.

The windows are mostly replacements already because windows tend to be fragile and are more easily broken than wooden frames and stone. Also, glass settles over time and gets thicker at the bottom than at the top which really doesn’t help with the structural integrity. Add onto that two world wars and numerous previous fires (none this bad, but still buildings don’t get to be 800 years old without surviving some fires) and the oldest glass in the cathedral was put in around 1800 as a replacement for older glass that simply wore out or broke somehow.

The stained glass was beautiful, but pretty much none of it was original. Glass simply has a shelf life because it’s a liquid, and gravity is gravity.

6 Likes

Idk much about this Notre Dame fire, but I’m assuming it started as an accident.

It’s sad to see something so historic and beautiful go up in flames but that is the way of life.

I think it was Robert Frost who said “Nothing gold can stay”.
I always remember that line whenever something like this happens.

Whilst there’s no denying the obvious need for more frequent care or replacement to the windows, stating that just redoing them will bear the same value in 100 years is outrageous.

I’m not sure if France has the money, tbh. From some of the reports I’ve read, France seems to be near bankruptcy, along with a couple other countries.

They’re saying it was a restoration accident.

On the bright side, nobody has been hurt by the fire. I’m pretty sure someone is going to get hurt because of this, but I highly doubt their injuries are going to be found to be caused by fire.

1 Like

This is actually a myth.

Making glass panes was not a perfect process and almost always had one side thicker than to other.

The old window making techniques where simply to place the larger more stable part at the bottom.

We just stopped doing that as we got more uniform glass.

2 Likes

France is most likely gonna rebuild the church according to news reports.

I got a church near me that’s older than Notre Dame. :confused: old buildings are awesome.

3 Likes

Which one?

Thoughts and prays for Paris!

Tragedies are awful however you have support from your allies here in USA! Stay strong France :fr:

1 Like

I wouldn’t even give her a platform by responding to her. Even calling her what you did, I think would be wrong in this case, because it’s slamming a entire denomination of people, many of which are not that way.

For the sake of Paris, lets not add fuel to the proverbial forum-fire she clearly wants to feed. Your absolutely right on your last count though, it’s a sad loss of history. We’ll just have to hope it’s rebuilt. No it won’t be the same, but we all know nothing of this world lasts forever.

Will definitely be praying for the people of France. :fr:

It’s also worth mentioning folks, that nothing says it has to stop at prayer. I encourage anyone who’s interested to look into the matter further. I am sure France will be seeking help to rebuild down the road. Volunteering your time if you can give it, is another worthy way to help. As others have said, prayers are very good. But purpose and action are much better.

1 Like

This is that banshee’s work.

3 Likes

Hopefully everyone is safe. it’s sad to think of such a beautiful piece of architecture being destroyed . Also the building contains a lot of beautiful pieces of art