Prayers for Paris

I am very much aware. I have been at the foot of the Notre Dame too many times to count.

You can not, simply CAN NOT, let it collapse.

It is far greater than just a building. It NEEDS to be preserved.

4 Likes

They can recreate the windows, nothing of value lost there. Glass is an unlimited material. Pictures all over the internet of it will let them see how it looked like to perfectly recreate it.

2 Likes

Based on the 2 responses you received nothing more needs be said.

Reading comprehension is a skill everyone must learn. Also, pot calling the kettle symbology inserted here. You get mad because somebody says something so you return the favor. That makes you better than them how exactly?

Yeah for sure, they can also recreate the structures as well. Like I said in a post above, recreating it isn’t a problem. It becomes more of a question of would they want to recreate it because it might “cheapen” it, instead of it being original? That would obviously be up to France to decide.

1 Like

I’m saying from a structural way not feeling based. As the fire continues it’ll continue to weaken the church’s structure

1 Like

Mm, I think that depends on the restoration and spin on it. One could view it as a symbol of strength- the fire may have ravaged it, but it was restored stronger than ever. Some may view it as ‘cheapening’ the original, but it could just as well become another part of the history!

It wouldn’t be the same, but it wouldn’t be entirely lost, I’d like to believe.

I’m literally sick to my stomach right now… I was fortunate enough to be able to visit there in my youth… I was able to tour the building and grounds. Such a huge tragedy. I sincerely hope the fire was not intentionally set…

4 Likes

I completely understand what you mean.

You need to understand what I mean.

This is a treasure. People can properly be evacuated, but she is PRICELESS.

Weak or not, she is IRREPLACEABLE.

1 Like

I think knowing what France is like, they will likely recreate it but with a slightly modern take on it, instead. That’s my best guess.

You don’t “recreate” 400 year old artwork by using photoshop.

Well, you don’t “recreate” it and have it mean 1/10th of what it did.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I mean. So much has been lost already, but we can’t give up on her.

If you look up stained glass restoration or recreation on Youtube, people have the skills to recreate it. But like I said above, it depends on if people want just an exact copy recreation of hundreds year old work and if that would “cheapen” it to them, or if they’d want to recreate something similar to it but also more modern. And knowing France, I think they’d likely do the latter.

So while sad that the original is gone, nothing lasts forever, and it can be rebuilt.

Also fun fact: in modern times they use vinegar to etch the glass in order to cut it, but in older times they actually used urine, human or otherwise.

Sentimental age value is only dictated by individuals and how much it means to them. If they want to restore the building, they will ignore the sentimental value of the windows and make it look like before to respect the original structure’s likeness to humanity. The new windows will get sentimental value and 100 years from now they will have the same as the old ones did.

2 Likes

Its been rebuilt before it will be rebuilt again if its possible.

800 year old buildings are rare for sure.

1 Like

Restored*

It can be restored to resemble what it once was as accurately as possible.

There is no rebuilding the Notre Dame.

They can’t. Parisian fire hoses can’t reach high enough to hit the roof. In addition there’s no telling what rapid temperature change would do to the original stone structure.

It’s going to burn until it burns out.

On the bright side, report just came in that the fire fighters managed to save all of the artwork in the vault. So while there was some works lost, they’re not losing everything. In fact, most of the artwork was saved.

2 Likes

In 100 years the new windows would not come close to the same value the old ones did.

That isn’t how the entire art industry works.

That isn’t how history works.

Looking at a picture is never the same as looking at the original.

What if there’s nothing left? For real. Fires are unpredictable. They might seem contained, but then all can go to fel and the fire just roars in it’s favor. It hapenes in forests

Very upsetting news, I glad no one has been hurt. Hopefully they can save as much as possible, prayers from New Jersey USA

4 Likes

That’s where they celebrated it.