Prayer of Mending

I have loved Disc priests since BC. They took prayer of mending away from us and it finally returned in DF. However it’s kind of underwhelming… Would giving Disc a talent to have it apply attornment make it worth taking? That would be really fun in a raid.

Baseline PoM should apply atonement on its first bounce but imo that should be it. The difficulty of maintaining multiple atonements is a feature of discs design, whether we like it or not, and with its current design is necessary for balance. So while the first bounce should baseline apply it having each bounce apply it would be a bit much, it might also lead to some frustration of not being able to control the bounce and application of atonement when you might need or want it applied.

2 Likes

It could be similar to the holy talent that gives PoM a chance to apply renew. Even just the first bounce would be fine.

RNG application for something that is fundamentally important to the spec would be completely toxic for the spec. Imagine hoping/needing for PoM to apply atonement just for it to not happen or when it constantly applies when it isn’t needed. I could see a number of broken keyboards over that lol.

It works for renew because aside for a 6% healing buff the priest doesn’t really care if renew procs or not making it a nice little bonus. Atonement isn’t a nice little bonus it’s a critical part of disc healing.

I agree it’s nice to have it back, but it’s more just thrown into our tree without any thought, since it doesn’t really benefit or synergize with any disc rotation.

Waste of a talent point for disc as far as im concerned.

1 Like

How much healing does it actually do? I have run it a few times in M+ thinking it can’t hurt. There is also a second talent that boosts its healing on the first target, I think it is. I have not run this but am curious about the actual numbers both with and without this second talent. Maybe it is not so bad?! I dunno.

At least one on the forums has said POM is worth taking on Grievous weeks and that it is effective in dealing with and removing stacks. I think he said it singlehandedly did so. That the case, I wonder why it is not good other weeks. Again, I dunno.

Am I alone in wondering if people are just saying it is not good because they hear so. And they have not tried it themselves.

Like, if you cast it often does it do much?! Like say the moment it is off CD. Perhaps I will run it sometime soon and post my results. I wonder. And I also wonder if it is very mana efficient.

The statement was PoM was good for holy on a grievous week, as holy gets 7 bounces that can leave renew and sometimes don’t even expend a charge. This means as holy you can easily get 2-3 PoMs bouncing around which can trivialize grievous as a mechanic.

Disc doesn’t get this as disc only get 4 charges and at most the 45% bonus on a single target. Honestly between the Radiance buffs on top of scov and atonement disc doesn’t seem like it should have many issues with atonement either, or any reasons to take PoM either.

Actually, this was (also?) mentioned by a disc priest main. And I believe was in reference to how disc priest was just plain bad on Grievous weeks.

Either way, I am just wondering how bad this really is for disc. In my case, I dont always get a chance to take full advantage of other talents like “Death and Madness” as I am often too busy healing/dpsing to heal to use it much. Hence, it seems a better choice–assuming it is not that bad.

Then too, in one run, I casted it 16 times and it did a whopping 1.9% of my total healing, sigh. Maybe with the other talent, Focused Mending, it is not that bad? I dunno. All I can think is that it is not tuned correctly. Then too, the game, which I now refer to as World of Glitchcraft, the Rise of No Tuning, would likely explain the issue.

Yeah, PoM was/is? still useful on Disc for grievous weeks. Especially that horrible grievous bursting week. You’ll pretty much get full use out of it, and it’s still a really, really efficient button when you can use all 5 stacks. In raid, you’re way too starved for globals while ramping, but that’s not really a problem in dungeon, so I’d take it those weeks as well.

I wouldn’t take it any other week. Especially not now with how strong our atonement and radiance are.

Interesting. On an aside, I was thinking of maybe macroing it with other spells like maybe Shadow Covenant (or something else instant cast). But I dunno.

I dont get much use of “Death and Madness” to be honest. Hence, it might be a good choice instead, I dunno.

This annoys me. because disc is no longer crippled by it. With the burst playstyle you dont care about grievous. I have run keys since legion and sanguine grievous weeks with all melee team as it was in legion, was a scary affix week.

This xpac i did not even consider it. The dark disc spec covered it nicely. I honestly did not pay attn to the affix.

im curious on what specs disc players were playing where it was an issue? The first week yes i ran PoM as disc but second week i didint care about it so much. PoM was fine on greivous bursting because there was a lot of chances to heal and it did 10% of my healing but without the double whammy of healing affixs it was fine second time around

I did. VE

In my case I did not start running Shadow Covenant until a few days ago. That was very likely a mistake. That said, and while it would have made things easier, I didnt care much. Yumy rating it the very worst of all of the healers was the deciding factor–I immediately started spending time leveling my resto druid and gearing her up instead. And I didnt look back.

I’m not sure about Legion to be honest. That was a long time ago. That said, I healed disc in BFA and SL without ever even flinching on Grievous weeks. However, as I admitted above, in DF until a few days ago I was not running Shadow Covenant. But I had also basically given up on disc priest in M+, so mostly did other things with my time.

There were others who simply played holy. I tried holy for a key or two, but found it kind of boring vs what holy was with Flash Concentration and Boon. When it was meta and with those it was a blast to play, pumped healing and damage, and got insta invites to keys vs the declines disc has gotten since DF launched. Maybe that is changing now though with the buffs, I dunno though. Ask me when I start approaching 20s. That said, a friend of mine who is in the top 15 healers on disc told me she could not buy an invite to a 20 a few weeks back! Nobody would invite her even if the key was for completion.

I would probably try to find a way to take it if the first bounce applied atonement… but even then, it would be kinda meh.

Question: On Grievous week, does each tick of it remove a stack… or is it just the first cast… or none of the above? If it’s the first thing, I’d run it that week in a heartbeat.

Which is where we differed. My toon is me. Ive played it, mained it since inception. Ive played since vanilla but back then was MM. Fire, Prot Pally. To do LK we felt we needs a hybrid and since i made Dak thats been my main good or bad since then.

It is boring my friend which is why i didn’t play it. Last time i played holy cause i had to was end of WoD and i loved the interactions with resetting renew with binding heal etc

I get that and agree. It doesn’t and has never stopped me playing disc. I will die on that hill which is why i have some small resentment of those who go to holy then come back championing disc. But its small and petty of me :slight_smile: and ive always said its why we are lucky we have 2 healing specs. so i cant be too hard on people, but i built my io on all disc not by holy then jumping back to disc.

1 Like

Grievous was an issue on any spec of disc as soon as you were in tougher keys.

Pre-15 you could generally power through it. Once you approached 20s it was a nightmare where you couldn’t really power through the toughest things in the dungeon, and PoM was a nice backup. Though TBH I don’t think anyone should have been trying grievous +20s pre-buffs. They just weren’t fun and Holy could ignore the mechanic entirely.

Hey Daketh and Caps. It’s looking good for disc now. I know you dont like Madskillzz, Daketh–saying his videos are clickbait or whatever (that was you, right?) But he now has a video out where he actually rates Disc as A tier–and only below Evoker and R Druid, and everything else below (seems Holy is now worst or second worst healer–down there with Mistweaver–sorry about that for my Holy friends).

Hopefully, he is right. And people catch on before too long. That will mean fewer declines for sure going forward.

Stop following literal mouth breathers who get their rating purely from premades while memeing pugs.

I don’t even spec for pom on my disc it’s so bad.