Posting without an Active Paid Susbsciption

Is it possible or intended to be able to post on these forums without an active region-specific paid subscription?

Recently, someone claimed that they created a starter account to post on the US forums, while they do not actively play here. I’m curious if this is possible for one, and if it’s circumventing forum policy or if it is within the accepted rules of usage.

This is the last forum you want to troll as it is the most heavily moderated one there is.

As to OP, an active subscription is required for most of the forums, but there are a few where you can post without one to receive assistance in things, such as this one.

7 Likes

While they are using a starter on the North American forums, they do have active game time for their EU license.

That may be enough to post in a given location, but I’ll double-check with how the forum flagging works.

Jeynar, the Code of Conduct applies to both NA and EU forums. Using inappropriate language, including masking that language, violates our policies. Please be mindful of that.

10 Likes

We have Community Council members from EU that create NA accounts to post on, so that they can interact with us. I don’t know if that’s the same type of thing as here, though. We have quite a few posters from the EU who use NA accounts and low level characters, so I assume they are also starter accounts. I could be wrong.

1 Like

This basically. If they’re Community members on the EU side though they may not get the same colours on the US side however.

OK, so is this considered normal and OK for any regional wow subscriber? Am I able to create starter accounts for other regions as well, as a US subscriber?

Should I be able to post on EU and Korean forums with such accounts?

I have not tested this on the Korean Region as I thought that may require a Korean ID for registration but as EU can go to US, you should be able to go to EU forums by creating a EU starter edition as well.
And then only post at the free areas like the Support and Newcomers forums the same as here.

2 Likes

But they can post in other areas here?

I suppose a follow up question is what is a Region and why do we have them? (I’m trying to understand whether we are one large community or if we are separate communities with separate governing bodies, etc.)

And I suppose there may be different Regions other than the Americas, EU, Asia from the US Battle Net client.

Right, I think this was the case when I played on Korean servers, back around the end of TBC and launch of WotLK (around 2008/09), and although we could use the same client for both, we would change the server ip addresses in the wtf file or something along those lines (it’s been quite a while).

Is there something a little more formal/a lot more detailed that I can refer to? I understand theoretically and generally what the term “region” means; I’d like to have a clear understanding of precisely what it means for WoW and these forums.

If they have a seperate US Subscription, they are allowed to post in other areas besides the “free” part yes.

A “Region” is like US/EU/CHN/TW/JPN/KR, certain regions have their own languages, “modified” game versions to abide local law, etc etc.