Post your loot rules here!

I’ve been getting closer to 60 and all the old loot problems have been thundering back.

Things like:
–“Hunter” weapons
–BiS items for plate DPS are often leather
–BiS pally healing items are often cloth
–BoEs
–Greed vs Off Sets
–Pristine Hide of the Beast

And it reminded me about the old vanilla loot rules, which in my case was that if you got an upgrade that run already you had to pass to someone that hadn’t, and anything of value was taken by the master looter and put in to the lotto at the end of the run, where everyone rolled and highest roll got first pick of all the stuff that had dropped.

Also, items like Pristine Hide of the Beast (from skinning The Beast in UBRS) always caused a holy war, as both sides have rational arguments. (Only skinners roll because without them no skin, everyone rolls because without them you wouldn’t have killed The Beast.)

As I do more 60 runs I’ll refine my loot rules but generally speaking:
–If it’s an upgrade you can roll on it
–BoEs are for rolling on unless at the beginning of the run I stated they would be sold for gold
–Pristine Hide of the Beast would be sold for gold
–Cosmetic items (such as Baron mount) are always auctioned off for gold GDKP style among the party / raid, so at least the losers get some gold.

I will update this as I do more end-game runs especially because I think nowadays people feel differently about master looter.

No. No, no, no, no, no. No.

1 Like

Yeah, I came to say No as well.

If this is a troll, well bowled.

But if you honestly think selling the Pristine Hide and the Baron’s mount is optimal…no.

What does that being ‘sold for gold’ even mean? I understand the need to set out some simple dungeon rules (all need BoE, /roll for chests, need before greed, kill the skull first…), but don’t get this part.

From whom would you be buying it? Everyone should just roll Need on those rare/epic items no?

I should probably mention at this point that at the Beginning of the run i specifically state it.

Any what’s wrong with instead of one person getting everything and 4 or 9 getting nothing…everyone getting a little gold instead?

The mount is BoP, and only vendors for 25g. You’re depriving someone of the chance to have an incredibly collectible all for 5g each. People aren’t so petty and awful that they’ll /gquit over losing a roll.

Just avoid guilds with Loot Council and Cliques. You know exactly whose gonna get all the loot in those squads.

1 Like

Is DKP still a thing for raids that guilds use? I really appreciated a system like that, it made your investment in multiple raid runs worthwhile. I don’t care for the /roll thing for BIS needs, particularly if you are the guy there for every raid and the guy who shows up every 5th run gets the item that doesn’t benefit the guild as much. Perhaps your query is around PUG runs?

Chests should be /roll 100 for them, and then pass if you got one already. At least that is me from an etiquette standpoint.

As for dungeon runs, if I need something I’ll mention it at the outset and I have no problem if someone else is requesting certain gear on a run. You can endlessly run these.

Just curious, why would you sell off mounts vs letting a hard working team member have an opportunity for a nice vanity item?

Is this just for raiding, or does it apply to dungeons?

For dungeons, I do fair rolls on chests and nodes, Needing a BOE means you equip(even if you have to put your old gear right back in case of weapon skills or somesuch), and BiS > normal need > offspec need > greed.

Raids are a bit harder to adjudicate fairly. In theory, a well run loot council for a solid raiding team will make the most effective use of gear by prioritizing size of upgrade, best in slot consideration, and the totality of the team. In practice, power corrupts and it’s quite difficult for a loot council to not prioritize themselves.

DKP is the most fair in the long term for a standard guild team, while class-based roll-offs are fairest for PUGs, and anyone who gets an upgrade is ineligible until all others who can use the dropped piece in their main spec have gotten one as well.

I corrected the OP to more clearly state that cosmetic items are sold to The Other Party/Raid Members, not the vendor. Oh man if someone vendored the Baron mount they’d be outta their mind.

In practice, whoever wins the mount gives all their gold to the rest of the group. I like that everyone gets a little something. (Although it makes more sense when there’s more gold floating around in the economy.)

In retail, most any mythic guild is going to give items to wherever the biggest upgrade is. But in vanilla, the itemization is so screwy that it’s impossible to ascertain that. Racials, tier bonuses, BiS items being leather for plate classes:

mmo-champion. co m/threads/2466919-Inherent-Problems-Vanilla-Loot-Systems-Have-To-Deal-With