Positives of keeping abilities locked to covenants?

Honestly, your name makes it work.

If they fix the bug it wouldn’t be nearly as appropriate or fun.

I hope you never lose your gun face now.

1 Like

No, they would just quit playing.

You drastically overestimate the amount of people who think posting on the forums does … anything?

Yeah look it’s a fatal move their about to engage on

After everyone is done levelling and they’re all caught up the covenants will mean less and how there character is playing will mean more and that’s where the frustration will amplify

Like you can say you really like X covenant but once you see a death knight from the vampire one have a shadow step and death mist you’re going to wonder if you made the right choice

1 Like

I have friends who avoid the forums out of principle. They know its the sewers of WoW. And that Blizzard seems incapable of sending in a proper cleaning crew.

But … positives of tying abilities? The only way I can say it is a positive is if they manage hte mythical unicorn of 4 Covenants that are within a 2-4% variance of each other. Then I think it’ll be a positive as players will have to make decisions that have weight. And it’ll encourage people to be creative and find fun combos where the proper use of two different covenant abilities can let them do some crazy stuff.

In short, if they’re almost equal across the board, then it’ll encourage players to be creative and find fun uses for their Covenant abilities.

Having covenants “almost equal” when people time keys with 1-3 seconds left when pushing high keys is not good.

How much more awesome is it having people play with all 4 covenant abilities, try them out in different keys. Let people experiment. This is way more enjoyable.

Also, when i tell my guild i post on the forums they actually laugh at me this place has such a bad reputation.

1 Like

I was asked to find positives. The only way I can see locked Covenant locked abilities as a positive is if the covenants are well balanced. Otherwise, it will be a horrible nightmare.

That’s about the only way I can see it as a positive, is if they can balance things.

I’m really trying to think of ways, to answer the OP, where the locked abilities would be a positive.

If the abilities are open season, then they’ll still have to balance the abilities, lest we end up with cases like Frost DK where Breath of Sindragosa has been seen as the best choice, even if many dislike the talent. They feel forced to use that ability.

1 Like

Imagine being a 12/12M raid leader who can’t make a transmog for two copper.

People are fooling them selves if they don’t think this is going to be a problem

Right now there is an ability for rogue which will end up nerfing ourselves for pvp unless we choose to ignore it

It also means we can’t stun anything

Also all the rogue abilities deal really soft amounts of damage and do nothing other than damage

I’m pretty sure the spear that warriors get does more things than all our abilities combined, same with the demon hunters “the hunt”

1 Like

I like the set :frowning:

I know, I mean, imagine if you want to play a Warlock as Venthyr … but Night Fae is the most beneficial. It feels weird. You’re trucking around with your demon … using fel magics, and supporting nature.

It just feels wrong.

Now going Kyrian could be interesting. You’re trying to reform. And you’re trying to keep the demons alive so they can “see the Light” (pun fully intended). I mean there ARE Holy Demons in Lore.

And there are enough people that DO care about lore, but also care about progression as well.

2 Likes

I had to look at the set. Ok, you like it. Cool. It just looks … disturbing to me. Almost S&M level disturbing. But hey … you do you!

No one I’ve seen has complained about separate abilities. What most people don’t agree with is having one ability that is vastly inferior for their spec compared to the other Covenants when in PvE or PvP. I can assure you this is a fairly universally disliked issue as far as content spread goes.

I hope they don’t let this become the next Azerite gear debacle and just add some more abilities while they have time.

2 Likes

Look, this whole thing is a way to make borrowed power systems more punishing to players.

Please go hate yourself
-Love Blizz

1 Like

Guild asked me if I planned to maintain an alt healer in addition to my main in Shadowlands

I said, of course, I will play 4 priests!

This is gonna be fun. :slight_smile: (kill me)

2 Likes

I can see that of course. Wiping at .01% happens now, last expansion, the one before that. Etc, etc. Not having the ability that churns out that extra .1% that would have finished the boss is the splitting of the hairs that Mythic requires if you are aiming to full clear in a timely manner. That’s what I meant by liking to game the game. I see it now. Having four of each class and raiding eight hours a day to gear them. That doesn’t sound like fun at all.

But my point is Blizzard didn’t make you want to do that. Mythic raiding came about to give player an seemly impossible task so they wouldn’t be bored. The community created the standards how to overcome them. Blizzard might even have to make Mythic raiding slightly easier so people don’t have to feel the need to game the game. But that is half the fun. Souls-like gaming. By that I mean really hard and using intense RPG things to make it easier, like split runs and leveling up more than one of each class. Yeah.

Blizzard trys to add choice into the mix but we always come out with a cookie cutter builds. I think it will happen in shadowlands too. That might be a road they down in the future. No talents or extra spells. Just a class you can’t customize. But I guess that would make Mythic raiding a little more accessible. Haha

A hundred times, this.

If you are not someone who cares about optimization, giving other players a choice of covenant abilities doesn’t negatively effect you. You can still choose the coolest, non-optimal ability.

If you are someone who hates “min max culture” and you think that “forcing covenant lock in” will break it, you’re playing a different game. You will still be expected to take the correct ability for the correct game mode and when you don’t you will face some level of exclusion.

No Venthyr rogue or mage is going to have an easy time pugging mythic+ or joining a mythic raid guild. No non-Kyrian hunter or non-Venthyr DH is going to have an easy time getting picked up for an arena team. Period. There is not a single class in alpha that doesn’t have this problem.

Personally I would like to see them keep the “signature” abilities tied to the covenant but free up the combat ones for swapping just like regular talents. The signature abilities are still pretty meaningful mobility choices but it’s far less “makes or breaks an entire game mode”.

2 Likes

This is why Covenants are potentially going to be a disaster, imo.

Also I think the people who are pro-restrictions are not as many as it seems.
It really feels like a small handful support it.

Honestly if Covenants go live as currently planned I feel like it would be Legion but you only got to choose one weapon for the entire expansion.
Far too restrictive compared to current game design and goes against the way the game has been developed for years with constant buffs/nerfs that wildly swing power around.

If Azerite and Corruption are any indication of the level of balance we can expect, Covenants will fail and we the players will suffer for 2 years under a bad system, again.

2 Likes

This is kinda what I’m trying to echo as loudly as possible. People gain nothing by being pro-restriction but everyone has to gain by making them independent.

1 Like

None. Fanboys just can’t accept that Blizzard has bad ideas sometimes and anyones who is against them is a “hater”.

3 Likes

Hate this so much, but it’s true.

You’re allowed to love a game but be critical when they introduce a bad change. Once day they will learn hopefully, but it might be too late.

4 Likes