Portal Rooms

It’s not just class fantasy, it’s concrete utility. Mage portals are worth less today than there were in Vanilla, but they still bring a unique capability to both group and solo play. I’d want to be compensated for the loss in utility some way or another.

1 Like

That’s because we didn’t have a ridiculously complicated portal network in vanilla.

I hear what you’re saying, but honestly the process of getting from A to B is so convoluted and mainly about sitting through loading screens as you take several portals in series.

Even if it was just a waypoint system that required us plebs to walk to the waypoint to travel, mages could still dazzle us with their ability to use the network from anywhere. And then maybe you could have a single portal to cast called “Conjure Waypoint”

I think we can at least agree that the current system is way too messy. I’m not attached to any particular solution. But I think the paradigm we have now (even in a tidy portal room) is sub-optimal.

2 Likes

Oh for sure. Just to be clear, I’m not saying to not add a waypoint system – by all means, do – I’m just saying the the mage class may need adjustment as a result.

Just tested on the PTR, another route available is Org > Shattrath > Talk to Zephyr in the Tavern in Lower City, she still ports to the Cavern. That said, you need to be revered with Keepers of Time to have the option. The Cataclysm portals are also still there, so you could also fly from Uldum instead of Silithus.

1 Like

These new portals look great, can we get the Mage portals to match this new animation?

1 Like

Good lord, that doesn’t even have the paper thin veneer of reasoning that, “well, they’ve traditionally removed portals when a capital is no longer current content” has. What is wrong with the devs these days?

12 Likes

Just tested on the PTR, another route available is Org > Shattrath > Talk to Zephyr in the Tavern in Lower City, s

As opposed to just taking the portal to Caverns :confounded:

Does anyone else read the ‘two months later’ page break in these necros in the Sponge Bob narrator voice?

1 Like

That about sums up a number of changes (that nobody asked for) that have been made, and will continue to be made in the future.

10 Likes

I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but they have already removed flight points for our capital cities from new characters’ maps, which were given for years.

3 Likes

I hope they put in all the portals we need instead of skipping some.

…what…I just did a test on the PTR , new characters start out with zero FP.

None.

What the…

5 Likes

I’ll reserve all my colorful comments until I see what’s what on live.

4 Likes

Why have portals at all? Why not go to an Occuleth style teleporter like in his workshop, where you select the destination?

4 Likes

We still have the cata portal in the main capitals. Just take the one to uldum and you are less than 2 minutes from caverns

this is likely not intended. There is literally no reason for this to happen especially considering one of the first quests once you get to the first questhub in your starting zone is to deliver something to your capital via the flightpath.

I know, but it neither explains nor justifies the removal of the direct portal from Northrend when there is no equivalent replacement in the new portal shack.

It also means no easy access to Caverns while levelling through 70-80.

Much of this smacks of “we’ve given them too much freedom, let’s make 'em walk and call it content” once again.

12 Likes

To be fair I do believe portals have been over used. The only ones that I think should be kept are the BFA capitals portals, the cata portals, and the new portal room ones.

Though both factions should definitely have mages to teleport you to some areas. This makes sense especially for places that were always a one way trip such as to the dark portal.

I don’t think historic (previous expansion zone) portals should ever be removed. They’re almost always removed in an attempt to funnel people into Org and Stormwind, and that almost always seems to fail because, well, not everyone wants to hang out there. Which is fine and healthy.

How does it hurt the game if I get to a destination instantly, rather than right-clicking a flightmaster and walking away from the PC for the 10 minutes or more that some of these flights take? I’m not engaging with the world any more in either case.

I thought they’d gotten over their “everyone gather in Org” rubbish when they left the Shrine portals intact for WoD and then Legion. Sadly I was wrong.

I still won’t hearth or hang out in Org though. As the Tortollans might say, “HORRIBLE place!”: :wink:

14 Likes

That hasn’t stopped them before. <_<

5 Likes