Please revert locked pet skills/families

I realize its likely to late but bringing back the locked families and skills was the literal worst decision ever made, it ran me off my hunter by forcing me to use pets i did not like or want.
If there is any hope this could be brought back to allow us to use the pets and skill we actually want, please please please consider it.

3 Likes

You are still going to be using pets you don’t want if they don’t have the abilities that are needed for the content you are doing. Being able to change pet specs didn’t/won’t change that.

Being able to choose pet specs gave you far more choices in a given situation.

Like say you want a cunning pet with mortal strike for pvp. Right now you have three pet families that do this; raptor, hyena, rodent. If we could choose our pet specs again, there would be NINE other families to choose for cunning+MS; ravager, wasp, bird, scorpion, devilsaur, lizard, hydra, direhorn, riverbeast.

And until they ever make tenacity worthwhile (outside of spirit beast), 1/3 of our pets are basically dead options.

2 Likes

Tenacity is the preferred in raid combat, and in M+ if you have another source of Lust. 20% DR cooldown and some extra HP is generally more useful than 10-15% leech, the majority of which goes to your pet anyway (at least as BM).

This has been true since Vanilla, but up until Legion there was more choice with pets.

You like your corehound? Great, in situation A, you can use it to tank, and in Situation B you can use it to dps. ← This is much less the case now. A lot of choice was taken away from players, and that was the OP’s point. And I agree, bring back players’ ability to choose pets’ specs at any given time.

3 Likes

Yeah, and which tenacity pet are you going to use in those scenarios? A spirit beast.

Sure, if you’re BM. SV has a bit more flexibility, but still largely sticks to Tenacity. Point is, you’re not bringing a spirit beast just because of the heal, it also happens to be the right spec. Even without Spirit Mend, you’d likely be bringing a Tenacity pet, as SV does (and as MM would if pets were a thing for them).

Not really. We just had the ability to bring more pets because they used to bring buffs or crowd control. Core Hounds didn’t have a tanking ability until BfA. Being able to make him Tenacity wouldn’t change the fact that a Turtle was better for tanking because of it’s Shell Shield.

You still brought a Core Hound as BM as it was Ferocity and one of the very few pets with Ancient Hysteria.

While changing specs would allow access to more pets with a certain ability, so would having all the pets with those abilities being set to the spec that uses those abilities best. There are also many pets that will be useless no matter what spec you try to make it.