Please Knock It Off with Mid-Fight Sharding

Was doing the Darkshore rares with this DK for the first time last night, blood spec since people weren’t focusing on the non-World Quest rares. I can solo these rare elites in blood, but the fights can take awhile. They’re fun to solo as I learn mechanics of each elite rare on the fly, and learn what stuff I need to avoid or get out of, and when to mitigate damage or boost my healing with the abilities I have. I was engaged in a 10 minute fight with the rock elemental in a cave and nearly had the thing soloed with it at only 1-2% health left. Had a couple close calls but I kept myself alive with good timing on my cooldowns for help with healing. It was challenging and fun…

And then the rock elemental rare elite faded away, and fading in came a new rare elite rock elemental, with his adds back, and someone else fighting him too, but the elite’s health was about 80%. So I spend 10 minutes in an engaging, challenging fight, and the fight is cancelled by one of Blizzard’s intentional actions, not a glitch. The fight was replaced by a meaningless 2 on 1 affair that still took a couple minutes, but was much easier to win. I didn’t choose to have help. I didn’t want to make the game easier. Yet it was forced upon me.

If you want to change which shard I’m in, don’t do it in the middle of combat (or immediately after it ends before I have the chance to loot my kill). It’s insulting. I’ll join groups when I feel like joining them, and solo when I want a good challenge. Thanks. Promptly logged off as I wasn’t in the mood to have any more of my challenging solo attempts at elite rares cancelled at Blizzard’s sharding whim.

1 Like

I think I saw the ultimate form of this while trying to fight Dooms Howl a few weeks ago.

We had the boss down to like 20% and then all of a sudden it just despawned … then it respawned a few seconds later at full health.

Then at about 80% boss health I got a loot popup telling me that I’d won something even though the boss was still alive.

I can only assume that my entire raid group got shipped off to another shard while the mob we were fighting was left behind and killed by whoever was leftover.

1 Like