Please keep the model bans in place

As someone who does not use bewb and body alteration mods, I can safely say that it does open a harsh reality that people are constantly talking about with WoW customization.

The ToS states that we cannot alter files.

The ToS could possibly change if appearance modification didn’t actually bother Blizzard, but we will see.

I see no harm in having curse mods available to alter your characters appearance, or even made your character newd.

Skyrim has it. Fallout has it. I’m sure many other games do. Why is it anyone’s problem other than the player alone to have those sorts of mods?

I get Blizzard’s point of view… but they could also just make customization more interesting and we would be fine.

It would be a selling point alone just to advertise and full, new, and improved customizatiom system.

Indie company.

2 Likes

Umm no! They said with official post that was a warning, if you continue to use you will get ban in next round. More or less, you have been warned.

Right! That why they should have a TOS that states you are not allowed to change game files?? That would be a good idea, huh?

1 Like

Breaking the TOS which clearly states you are not allowed to change games files?

overreaction is still ridiculous.
Crime is crime is crime.
But stealing a candy bar isnt the same as murder.

3 Likes

It is if you steal that candy bar from a starving ethiopian child.

1 Like

nice deflection but we both know it aint the same thing.
Long bans should be reserved for serious cheating that affects other players.
But what do I care…its not my paycheck in danger here.

1 Like

I remember back in BC I found a model swap for Void Walker with the Fel Void Walker for my warlock.

It felt super cool at the time. It was just a warm fuzzy for myself, but it had 0 effect on any gameplay whatsoever.

3 Likes

That’s not exactly what happened. The bans weren’t issued as a blanket TOS violation, they were issued for botting and cheating. Blizzard didn’t know what the software was being used for, which is why they reversed it after future investigation.

They still believe what the players were doing was wrong, and will likely punish future use, but that punishment would be issued because of that specific violation, not for botting or cheating.

Its not a deflection, its a joke…

The cynic in me thinks Blizz only reversed this because they realized they need the money.

6 Likes

Blizzard are altering the deal. Pray they do not alter it any further.

4 Likes

Also:

Blizzard can’t tell if the person is altering files for an RP reason, or because of an advantage in PVP/finding herb and mine nodes/whatever.

Blizzard can only tell that they used the program/altered stuff (which they’ve always said don’t do, in the eula.)

Actually, Blizz said that many that got their bans turned into warnings cause they could see they only did client-side character model alteration. Here’s a link to the forum post. However, it could also be used for more nefarious purposes, and THOSE bans are staying in place.

2 Likes

And those that just modded their own appearance did not get bans. They were rolled back as a warning.

Those, however that went further, such as greatly increase the size of flags to find the carrier, nodes, clip walls to get places they shouldn’t etc, had the suspensions upheld.

I don’t see the issues here.

Most, warning. You are on notice, stop doing this and u nnstall illegal mod program now.

Cheaters, deuces. Cya in 6

Which is a blanket category. They will never say You are banned for using Super Spamalot 52000 mod because you blah blah blah on yadda yadda yadda.

It was an all encompassing category.

Not arguing anything else from your post. Just wanted to clear that tidbit up

6 months for lookin at swords and shields eh ? that’s a bit stiff.

If you do a google search for Quote above you will indeed find how it has been on youtube 2011. So … Note the forum is indeed a melting pot.

Just do point out…

This is a dangerous way of thinking. As in, actual IRL dangerous.

No private company “owns” any data on your computer, nor any item that you’ve purchased. Tho the justification exists differently in parts of the world, in the US, the entire concept of copyright premised on the concept that thought / data cannot be “owned.” The government grants a government-backed exclusive monopoloy on the production of certain thought and information for purpose of encouraging the creation and commercialization of data and useful thought. One can “own” the limited-term, government-granted monopoly contract on the data, however, no one “owns” the data or thought.

Falling into the notion that the elements of patents or copyrights themselves are “owned” starts down the road of instituting actual “illegal thought.” It sounds like I’m being hyperbolic, but I’m not. It is important to keep this distinction very well demarcated when pushing for or supporting the enforcement of concepts like ‘copyright’.

Even with this in mind, it’s even more the case that no one owns the data you have anyway. To put it most succinctly, this is the reason that it was finally adjuicated that “ripping a CD” was not a criminal or civil offense. In terms of criminal ilability, you own the copy you have, can format-shift all you want, and can even alter it, reverse-engineer it, and do whatever as much as you want, as long as it’s for your own use and you don’t try to commercialize or distribute the results. Those contracts that say you can’t do these things are basically UN-enforceable, and they just say that to discourage you.
In terms of civil liability, for services like WoW, they can, for sure, terminate you. However, you can take them to court and winback your lost, paid-for subscription fee, even if you signed a contract saying that you wouldn’t do those things, because it turns out not all those terms are necessarily enforceable.

TOS and EULA are far from the force of law. They will have everything under the sun in them. They are what is hoped for and the actual enforceable components will be hashed out in court cases when they are taken in.

Finally, this is one reason why the “forced arbitration” conclusion a couple years ago is such a big (scary) thing in the US. Alot of these contracts we sign are so one-sided for use of services and products, with terms or their application that may not stand up in court. Now that everyone can put “forced arbitration” clauses in their contracts, you no don’t even gte your day in court. TOS and EULA and those contracts you sign to do things like get bank accounts, credit cards, shop online, have a phone, have an internet connection, ride in transportation, etc… can begin to become the actual force of law… which is scary as shat.

Considering those “enhancements” can be viewed only client side-- even if they were considered Inappropriate only the user could see it.

It wasn’t available for everyone on the server to view it. So yeah, it didn’t do any harm to anyone.

1 Like