Please keep the model bans in place

MPQ editing was super common in vanilla. Which was essentially the same thing. This has been going on since the beginning of the game, it’s nothing new.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to let just anyone modify base game files that may end up causing larger issue or opening people up to account security problems.

They may know stuff, but they still don’t work for the company to know everything.

2 Likes

From the article I saw on wowhead about them reverting the bans to warnings, Blizzard isn’t going to be allowing the changing of files to continue unpunished.

They just decided to change it to warning but continued use will result in escalating punishments.

The initial 6 month ban for those just changing their characters look is a bit extreme. Yes, they shouldn’t be doing it in the first place; but I agree with them changing it to a warning to give the more “innocent” users a chance to stop and not get banned/suspended.

3 Likes

Improving models that won’t effect the game or others who play the game is no way in form an offense worthy of punishment if anything Blizzard should look at some of these and say “Wow we could improve our models like this.”

3 Likes

If they dont want us to do it then they shiuld put more skimpy mogs in the game that arent made of 10 pixels. Bliz knows people want more.

6 Likes

They have commented on this matter as above. You dont really need to ask or tell them what to do, they seem to have a pretty good handle on it, OP.

1 Like

At this point, the bans do not matter. Many of the people who enjoyed modding are leaving the game anyways since if they continue, they will be banned in the future. So either way, ban or no, it means people are leaving the game.

4 Likes

Grow up, kid.

.race 1
.item 1 22418
.item 3 22419
.item 5 22416
.item 10 22421
.item 6 22422
.item 7 22417
.item 8 22420
.mount 62148
.item 16 49623
.item 19 38310
.item 17 0

Oops wrong chat

4 Likes

Warrior T3 is definitely a good look.

Don’t play dumb. Making my forsaken look like it does on a chinese client, using already existing blizzard assets that they REFUSE to give players in the west, is not “exploiting the game”.

I don’t see why player should be punished for cosmetic alterations because of a small minority of bad eggs. This stuff has been a part of the game since vanilla when people made the T2 hunter set black and red instead of the fugly orange/purple colors. Or the druid forms that looked amazing before they finally got a much needed update. Or adding that nightelf sentinel armor to the game before Blizzard finally made their own version with BFA.

How come it’s okay for me to make my UI blue or red but I can’t make my armor a different color? It’s a client side only change nobody else is forced to see it. People deserve to make THEIR character look how they wish. Especially since Blizzard is clearly too lazy to give us the options themselves.

11 Likes

That’s not what this is even talking about.

I’m not the one who’s “playing dumb” if you believe that’s what this is about. :roll_eyes:

Perhaps you need to go look into what these mods actually are before you insult someone.

Not even replying back to you anymore after that display of ignorance.

4 Likes

Im pretty sure the only ones lifted are the people that did little to nothing wrong.

1 Like

Anyone who used the mods to exploit the game for tangible gain remained banned.

Editing game files is against the ToS, whether it’s for innocent purposes or not. It’s really not up for debate, even though I personally think it’s not a big deal if someone wants to change their appearance.

3 Likes

Blizzard’s game. Blizzard’s rules. Blizzard’s decision how to deal with those breaking the rules. Not my business. Not yours.

They did say there would be increased penalties after this warning.

7 Likes

I honestly don’t understand what’s the issue or the reason here. You want people who have been banned and unbanned to be perma-banned regardless if they actually altered the game files or not?

I call that a blessing in disguise. glares at the creation club

Yeah the sad part is that this is the only game they get upset about anything they don’t agree with where as FFXIV and other mmorpg just brush it off. Nevertheless they do justice on their character customization. WoW just too focus on raiding and end game that quality on characters is nothing, but zero gain in their mind. Little do they know the better the character looks the more would represent their game like FFXIV community.

I understand rules are rules, but Blizzard needs to wake up and stop sleeping on something been suggested for over a decade. Sure they updated the models, but same selections from the old model still there.

1 Like

The irony is Bethesda, or actually ZOS (who controls ESO), don’t allow model edits at all. It is hard coded into the game to be impossible to make.

Your game is given a checksum and if you edit any file you’re not allowed to touch your checksum won’t match and the game will refuse to launch. So if Blizzard is banning this change cause hackers are abusing it for other means the only sensible thing for them to do is to make a path for it to be okay to edit character specific textures. Or make it so that it’s impossible to launch the game with the changes in place period.

One or the other. This awkward middleground just adds confusion and leaves room for exploitation. Personally I’d be in favor of a WoW Workshop where CM’s and the player community can curate this sort of content but that would take a small bit of effort on their part.

I’m not sure where they’d find the funding for this with their record breaking multibillion dollar quarterly profits…

3 Likes

it was a decent idea…kind of. Something for the people who are scared of the modding scene.

But but…how can we trust this mod? Stick to go to main mod authors who have likes and download numbers in the 10’s of thousands and general you are good.

My issue was it proved what I knew already. Game company management can ruin anything. They pulled in some of my fave mod authors (MA). Thing is these MA’s work in the club was, well…, not up the better and more fun standards of their independent work.

I don’t blame the MA’s. I know that was some idiot project manager going nope…not how we do this. Which is kind of why we used their work as independent MA’s. It made the game company’s work look bad lol.