Please Don’t Restrict Eredar Customization / Future Options like it

I’m already seeing people say it should “only be for warlocks” please side in favor of player agency and not some niche players idea of restrictions

It didn’t work w Darkfallen options on Thalassian Elves (thankfully) but people used to try to ask for that to be hunter restricted (I doubt Sylvanas was taking names on who was a hunter when she raised anyone she wanted).

Same should be w Eredar now that they’re being introduced.

Class restrictions on customization generally sound & feel bad almost all of the time, there was a CC member who advocated for blood elf runic tattoos but -only- for spell casters, like weird player idea restrictions are simply that, & I hope by and large (w some exception I suppose) that options introduced continue to favor player agency w/o restrictions in this sense.

9 Likes

They won’t.

All classes (except for DK’s and DH’s) can use the Dark Ranger customizations so I don’t see them restricting the Eredar customization for Draenei.

1 Like

Kinda weird that Death Knights can’t use the Dark Ranger customizations.

5 Likes

Agreed now that I think about it.

Given that in the DK class hall, there is a female Thalassian Elf with red eyes.

3 Likes

I can only imagine there’s something about DH/DK that makes it hard to add to them somehow? I mean, I wouldn’t think it’d be difficult, but they do come with unique class-based customizations of their own.

I dunno. Just seems odd that neither DH or DK got them, but especially DK.

[Edit]: Anyways, just to address the thread topic a little more thoroughly, I agree with Lannis in that restricting customizations feels bad, but at the same time I do like the idea of class based customizations. These would just need to be something very specific to a class. Something like fel scarring for Warlocks and Demon Hunters, or Antlers or varying kinds for Druids. It has to be something very specific and unique to a class (Antlers on Druids), rather than anything anyone in the race might get (like magic runic tattoos on Blood Elves).

It likely has something to do with the fact that by default, their eyes are set a certain color.

Even weirder when you consider that the Night Elves DKs got the Night Warrior eyes and skin tone but not the dark ranger one.

4 Likes

I just get worried when I see some opinions I guess specifically -one moment I’ll find it-

Continuing the discussion from Character Customization - We want more!:

Specifically this CC members thread they seemed to concentrate a bit too much on “class” restricted customization and when it was pointed out to them in a regular thread they said they spoke to x people and that’s what ppl want restricted options. And then listed things like blood elf runic tattoos like why would tattoos be restricted lol.

1 Like

I’m not sure where they would get the idea that such a limitation would make sense because the eredar aren’t all warlocks and you don’t need to be a warlock or DH to have demonic powers. In WoD and Legion, they were clearly shown having warriors, mages, hunters, rogues, shadow priests, necrolytes, dark paladins, and dark shaman. Of note, the Subtlety artifact is found in the possession of an eredar rogue, the first wielder of the Affliction artifact was an eredar necrolyte, and the Blood artifact was forged by an eredar smith.

4 Likes

This is so funny to me cause imagine her setting up an entire recruitment department to go through corpses and ask them if they’re hunters or not :sob:

6 Likes

It never made sense as far as I’m player options were concerned if they were giving dark ranger / undead options but ppl still tried it cause player agency in this way bothers them

I don’t get the cc post that thinks iconic blood elf box art would be class restricted either, why would tattoos be unable to be given to all classes lol for again agency. They didn’t restrict night warrior eyes nor should they have.

3 Likes

I just want to say that I got what I asked for:

Thanks Blizz.

2 Likes

Basically, I agree with you, but I think there should be some restrictions.
They once established in the lore that the Holy Light can weaken specifically Undead and Demons, unholy beings. Even Forsaken could use the Light only through immense pain.
Now, in the recent lore, we’re dealing with races that were actually infused with these forms of magic. Man’ari Eredar are basically demons, warped and empowered by Fel magic. Lightforged Draenei, as the name states, are infused by the Light and Ren’dorei mutated by the Void.
Even though I agree with an “everything is morally grey and has nuances”-approach (as in “the Light not being the ultimate force for good”) - I think there should be some boundaries to keep the fantasy alive. Otherwise, all these magical forces and races will become irrelevant and turn into a grey blob, like… everyone can do everything, it’s just the color that changes. We’ve already seen the Light create an Undead.

tl;dr
What’s the point of being Lightforged, Demonic or Void-infused, when it doesn’t bring any advantages or limitations?

That said and to lighten the mood (after all, it’s just a game :slight_smile: ):

1 Like